Value of: Nylander Contract

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
By waiting both sides win: if he outproduces his past production he can ask for more and the management has a better sample of what he can do and he proves he's the real deal.

If he underproduces, the management is happy to offer him a bridge deal and have him at low cost and he'll eventually get the jackpot.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
If I were Shanahan and I just unilaterally got to decide what Nylander would sign for I'd tell him to sign for much less than that.

In reality Nylander and his agent probably realizes if he can put up Pastrnak or Draisaitl numbers next year he could get int he area of 7 million. So they probably want to wait. I would offer 8x6.5 in hopes he would sign today though, might even go up to 8x6.75. If he wants more than that he's going to have to wait until he proves it... which he will.

This is also the 15th or 20th thread on this topic though(or 4th or 5th), but at least you're the first since the forum changed.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
After only one NHL season 8 years x 6.25-7M? I dunno - seems risky for the team.
If I was the leafs GM I would rather wait and see what he does. Could get a bridge instead or something.
Lou is known to be a shrewd negotiator - I don't see him offering a big time deal instantly.

Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
After only one NHL season 8 years x 6.25-7M. I dunno - seems risky for the team.
If I was the leafs GM I would rather wait and see what he does. Could get a bridge instead or something.
Lou is known to be a shrewd negotiator - I don't see him offering a big time deal instantly.

The numbers suggest he might have a bit of a breakout year this year. His oiSH% was quite low last year, and towards the 2nd half of the year he went something close to PPG. I wouldn't put it past him to put up 75 points next year if he's on Matthews wing all year. Pastrnak's deal should help keep the AAV lower but no doubt Nylander's agent will point to Draisaitl's deal. I'd be willing to give him 6.5 now to avoid the potential of 7.5 next year because I truly believe Nylander is going to have a really good breakout year.

Lou has been good with RFA negoiations so hopefully he can keep the number lower but there's not much chance that Nylander is going to end up as a 50 point player long term as he put up 60 with a low oiS% this past year. RFA's are pretty much getting 100k per point these days so the low end of what Nylander may be is still a solid deal. I don't see any chance of a bridge deal, you might be looking at 10 million in 4 years time if you give him say 3x4.5 now which for the next 3 years would be nice, but with the other guys around you're killing yourself after that. They can fit the 3 guys in on 8 year term now, that would be the smart thing to do IMO.

Mar 26, 2010
Nylander will get paid more than his good friend Pastrnak.

$7M AAV minimum.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Watching Nylander playing with Matthews, they seem to be at top of their game. Pasta had all stars Bergeron and Marchand playing with him last year and he go his 6.67m contract. Nylander ceiling seems to be greater even with playing with one star Matthews and Hyman.
I know some folks don't/can't watch the Leafs. And there is an abundance of Leaf hater. But watch Nylander and Matthews this year. Might be a lotta fun just to observe from a a hockey fan's perspective

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Tough call here, it is a gamble by both sides.

As of right now I am sure the Leafs would like to make a deal because based on the chemistry they have had so far in preseason Matthews and Nylander may both finish as top 10 scorers this season.

Think the price tag may start with a 7 if he keeps this up.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I think Pastrnak's AAV will be his ceiling unless he signs for more years or has a monster season beside Matthews.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
nylander is gonna play this season out and then negotiate a contract extension. ofc management wants to sign him for that much now, why wouldn't they? nyalnder is risking 1-2 million/yr if he signs what the op offered

Last edited:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Management should: Sign him to a deal right now.
Nylander should: Wait so he can produce more for more money.

There's risks on both sides but it's probably safer to lock up Nylander for 8 years under 7m.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Watching Nylander playing with Matthews, they seem to be at top of their game. Pasta had all stars Bergeron and Marchand playing with him last year and he go his 6.67m contract. Nylander ceiling seems to be greater even with playing with one star Matthews and Hyman.
I know some folks don't/can't watch the Leafs. And there is an abundance of Leaf hater. But watch Nylander and Matthews this year. Might be a lotta fun just to observe from a a hockey fan's perspective
The two of them are poised to make some serious noise this year. Something similar to Pastrnak's deal is most likely.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
6.5-7 aav unless he seriously goes above expectations.

pastranak had 70pts in 75. Dont know if Nylander will do quite that this season.

Also depends on how many ufa years the contract eats.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad