Value of: NYI's First Round Picks

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Vancouver's not in that bad of a spot. The hype around Elias Pettersson is sizable, even if guys like Virtanen and Juolevi still have yet to find their games at the NHL level. Assuming they don't win the lottery, they're in a great position to snag one (not two after a trade with the Isles) of the top defensemen in this draft. Could easily move a guy like Tanev for another 1st+ to add more prospects. They were a contender during the Sedin years, Sedins are retired, now they're rebuilding and have a few key players to form the next core.
codeee i mean physiclly. last year both boeser and horvat were hounded. and both ended up missing time due to injury and that was with the sedins, they need to diversify their attack or those two will not last the season. teams can focus on that line and beat them into submission unless the somehow add a legit 2nd threat

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
no interest in Kapanen whatsoever

I wouldn't say no interest, but if we trade either of our picks we want top ends players(more so Defensemen) back. And yes I realize a top end player cost more then one draft pick in the top 12(but it would be part of a package for a top end player)

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
There hasn't been a lot of trading up or down at the top end of the draft recently at all. I think this might be a case of draft values being heavily skewed towards the top (GM's don't want to trade down from the very top, because their scouts know just who the next Karlsson is), combined with the fact that teams don't often have the ammunition to induce a trade, as NYI does.

Another type of trade that doesn't happen in the NHL is trading a lower value pick now for a more valuable pick later, at least near the 1st round. It happens all the time late in the draft, where the picks are worthless even without the compensation. Montreal has traded 7ths next year for 7ths this year during the last couple drafts.
At the very top its rare. Went all the way back to 2008 which was wild. 5 (L.Schenn) for 7, 68 and 37 next year was the lowest.
2016 had 11 for 12 and 80, 2013 had 14 for 21 and 42 and so on.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I'd trade one of them in a package for someone like Trouba (if he doesn't want to re-sign with Winnipeg)

1st, Bellows/Nelson, Mayfield for Trouba (that package is comparable to what Jordan Staal returned (8th overall, Sutter, Dumolin))

Then flip a 2nd for Hjalmarsson/Bouwmeester.

Hjalmarsson/Bouwmeester-Trouba
Leddy-Boychuk
Pelech-Pulock

Unless it's an established, NHL D, who can help now and in the future (i.e. not one year away from UFA), the pick can be moved in my opinion.

With that said, that's unlikely to happen in my opinion, so they will likely just draft BPA, which I can see being a D and someone like Farabee.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
At the very top its rare. Went all the way back to 2008 which was wild. 5 (L.Schenn) for 7, 68 and 37 next year was the lowest.
2016 had 11 for 12 and 80, 2013 had 14 for 21 and 42 and so on.

2008 Islanders also traded the 7th for 9th and 40th
12 was also traded for 17th and 28th

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->