Value of: NYI's First Round Picks

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Title is a bit misleading, but for NYI fans I have a question. Assume that a team in the top 9 wishes to trade back, what is the lowest pick rank for which you would trade your 10th and 12th picks (low being defined as furthest from 1)?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Title is a bit misleading, but for NYI fans I have a question. Assume that a team in the top 9 wishes to trade back, what is the lowest pick rank for which you would trade your 10th and 12th picks (low being defined as furthest from 1)?

In this draft there is Dahlin, then everyone else. I do not see the team holding 1st overall moving it
Not much interest in packaging two top 12 picks.

Isles have an extra second. Just take BPA

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Isles have an extra second. Just take BPA

No I mean, say, if Montreal wanted to trade back for NYI's picks, for what rank would NYI fans accept that trade? So, NYI would be trading up.

I'm a Montreal fan, and we can pick at one of 7 ranks. Obviously, NYI would trade their two firsts for the 1st overall pick. Probably for the 2nd pick too. But what about the 5th pick? Or the 6th pick?

What is the least valuable pick that you would be interested in trading your two first picks for, in other words.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
No I mean, say, if Montreal wanted to trade back for NYI's picks, for what rank would NYI fans accept that trade? So, NYI would be trading up.

I'm a Montreal fan, and we can pick at one of 7 ranks. Obviously, NYI would trade their two firsts for the 1st overall pick. Probably for the 2nd pick too. But what about the 5th pick? Or the 6th pick?

What is the least valuable pick that you would be interested in trading your two first picks for, in other words.
I would package a first and second rounder to move up. We did the reverse when we traded back from 5 in 2008 twice so if they have someone they really like I can see it happening. We also have other chips to work with, Nelson, a bunch of D prospects and young capable D-men (someone like Mayfield or Pelech).

I think we kinda screwed ourselves on this one tbh, would have much rather be picking at 7 or 8 this year but the Isles love winning useless late season games.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

I am not interested in packaging two top 12 picks for anything other then 1st overall.
And yes,I realize those picks would need more added to land Dahlin and it is unlikely the team holding 1st overall moves that pick.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I would package a first and second rounder to move up. We did the reverse when we traded back from 5 in 2008 twice so if they have someone they really like I can see it happening. We also have other chips to work with, Nelson, a bunch of D prospects and young capable D-men (someone like Mayfield or Pelech).

I think we kinda screwed ourselves on this one tbh, would have much rather be picking at 7 or 8 this year but the Isles love winning useless late season games.

That 3 game winning streak at the end of the season, had me pulling my hair out.

Reactions: IODCPiper

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I am not interested in packaging two top 12 picks for anything other then 1st overall.
And yes,I realize those picks would need more added to land Dahlin and it is unlikely the team holding 1st overall moves that pick.

Is this because the Islanders' biggest need is for defencemen? Why wouldn't you consider moving them for Svechnikov on a strictly value basis?

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
Not an Isles fan but if I were them, I wouldn't trade 10 and 12 for anything other than 1 or 2.

Well 1 isn't being moved for 10 and 12 and 2 is equally as valuable as 3 in this draft since Zadina and Svechnikov both look really great. I honestly think they'd definitely trade 10 and 12 for picks 2 or 3. I think they'd probably even do it for 4 if they're really high on Tkachuk or Boqvist.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Well 1 isn't being moved for 10 and 12 and 2 is equally as valuable as 3 in this draft since Zadina and Svechnikov both look really great. I honestly think they'd definitely trade 10 and 12 for picks 2 or 3. I think they'd probably even do it for 4 if they're really high on Tkachuk or Boqvist.

I'm not sure I'd do two of Smith/Farabee/Bokk/Kotkaniemi/Kravtsov/Veleno for Boqvist or Zadina and I definitely wouldn't do it for Tkachuk.

Reactions: Finnislander

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

From a trading back perspective, I wouldn't trade 1 or 2 for 10 and 12. 4 is where it becomes a snap call for me. 3 is a debate.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Is this because the Islanders' biggest need is for defencemen? Why wouldn't you consider moving them for Svechnikov on a strictly value basis?

If they need d-men, then why use draft capital to move up for a winger? In a defense rich class, why not draft the BPA d-men at #10 and #12? Or take a d-man and a center, things they actually need.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
If they need d-men, then why use draft capital to move up for a winger? In a defense rich class, why not draft the BPA d-men at #10 and #12? Or take a d-man and a center, things they actually need.

It's just unusual that someone would say that they wouldn't make a trade that no one else would accept on a value basis. Think about it, if people are saying that they would never accept 10 and 12 for 2, and for some reason you managed to make that trade, it would be essentially free value.

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
Personally, If the Islanders can get one of, Dahlin, Boqvist, Dobson, or Bouchard with thier first pick, I would like to see them trade the second pick back. Try to pick up two of, Wilde, Kupari, Bokke or Olofsson. Maybe hook up with Philly and do 12 +41 + ? for 14 and 17.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
When was the last time a team traded two top 15 picks to move up in a draft? Usually its a 1st + 2nd for higher 1st, If NYI needed quality over quantity, I could see them moving 10th + one of the early 2nds to move up a couple of spots (7/8) if it was the 10th and 12th they'd probably get into the top 5 if a team wanted quantity, 10+12 should be good to go up to 4th/5th imo

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Islanders need a goalie in the worst way. Nothing else matters until they shore up the posts.

Reactions: dood

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
When was the last time a team traded two top 15 picks to move up in a draft? Usually its a 1st + 2nd for higher 1st, If NYI needed quality over quantity, I could see them moving 10th + one of the early 2nds to move up a couple of spots (7/8) if it was the 10th and 12th they'd probably get into the top 5 if a team wanted quantity, 10+12 should be good to go up to 4th/5th imo

There hasn't been a lot of trading up or down at the top end of the draft recently at all. I think this might be a case of draft values being heavily skewed towards the top (GM's don't want to trade down from the very top, because their scouts know just who the next Karlsson is), combined with the fact that teams don't often have the ammunition to induce a trade, as NYI does.

Another type of trade that doesn't happen in the NHL is trading a lower value pick now for a more valuable pick later, at least near the 1st round. It happens all the time late in the draft, where the picks are worthless even without the compensation. Montreal has traded 7ths next year for 7ths this year during the last couple drafts.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
You're not getting both our 1st rounders, other threads have been made and we need the depth.

I wouldn't package them together for 2nd overall to take Svech. RW is a luxury for us, not a need.

Posters, from both the Isles fanbase as well as outside fanbases, have been way too generous with trading our 1sts this year. So many random terrible threads, trading our 1sts for guys like Howard and Mrazek, Lehner, Ceci, Dell. Now we're in the home stretch and fans still seem to believe we're eager and anxious to hand them over and let another team boost their prospect cabinet instead of us.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
You're not getting both our 1st rounders, other threads have been made and we need the depth.

I wouldn't package them together for 2nd overall to take Svech. RW is a luxury for us, not a need.

Posters, from both the Isles fanbase as well as outside fanbases, have been way too generous with trading our 1sts this year. So many random terrible threads, trading our 1sts for guys like Howard and Mrazek, Lehner, Ceci, Dell. Now we're in the home stretch and fans still seem to believe we're eager and anxious to hand them over and let another team boost their prospect cabinet instead of us.

So, you'd only trade up for 1?

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
So, you'd only trade up for 1?

In terms of packaging both 1sts together, absolutely.

A 1st + one of our 2nds, perhaps with a minor sweetener, has been the established price of moving up a few spots in the draft. If that value isn't enough, we're more than happy to keep our picks and hope the right guys fall into our laps.

You win at the NHL with depth. Islanders have major issues on defense, and potentially at center if Tavares walks. A potential top pairing defenseman + a potential #2C to play behind Barzal is far more enticing than one single RW.

But start the draft with Dahlin, then use our 2nd rounders to maybe trade up into the late 1st and grab a center? Now you have my attention.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad