Status
Not open for further replies.

Dangleberry

Feb 21, 2012
Queens, NY
Yes it is!

800px-Barclays_Center_streetside_02_2012-09-29.jpg

BarclaysCenter2_SS.jpg

To each their own, but I'd have to be tripping on some serious acid in order to admire that.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
MSG is one of the easiest venues to get to because of its location atop Penn Station. They just spent millions on renovating it. Great topic for an article.

lhg39

Manny Malhotra Fan
Dec 28, 2006
NJ
He is just saying that there is no reason for the city to give the Dolans a gift forever. He is right. Give them 10 years for now and the situation can be reassessed in 10 years. What does NYC gain by giving Dolan an in perpetuity license to operate an arena?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He is just saying that there is no reason for the city to give the Dolans a gift forever. He is right. Give them 10 years for now and the situation can be reassessed in 10 years. What does NYC gain by giving Dolan an in perpetuity license to operate an arena?

Well then there's your article right there. Your last two sentences form a compelling enough argument. The "aging and oppressive," "eyesore" and "daily blight" bits just reek of ******** editorializing from some elitist art and architecture snob. Maybe that's something his usual audience enjoys, but you can't expect a community of hockey fans, most of whom revere the building, to appreciate it.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I'm not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, I completely agree with him that Penn Station should have never been demolished in the first place - definitely one of the biggest mistakes the city has ever made in a planning sense IMO - and I agree that there's only so much that can be done with MSG's exterior, which, in my personal opinion, isn't very appealing though I have strong feelings for the building overall. On the other hand, the new Penn station has been a disaster since inception and there are TONS of ugly buildings that nobody is up in arms about, most notably, that hideous Verizon tower near City Hall...that thing is an eyesore.

Never should have demolished old Penn. Can't emphasize that enough. Do a quick google image search of the building if you've never seen it - it was a masterpiece in classic New York style.

Stugots

YNWA
Jan 10, 2009
Upper West Side
If money grew on trees this wouldn't be a bad idea. The whole idea of closing the Garden and building a new one is so implausible from several different angles. He complains about how Dolan gets a tax break, yet if another arena has to be built won't the taxpayers be forced to foot part of the bill anyway? Not to mention taxpayers will have to also foot the cost of 1) tearing down the Garden and 2) completely renovating Penn Station. Oh, and how the hell are you going to tear down the Garden and completely renovate Penn Station while 600,000 people go through there every day? Anyone who commutes to Jersey or LI knows how crowds, congestion and delayed trains affect the daily commute. Imagine if there was MAJOR construction going on? My god this guy is living in fantasy land.

Last edited:

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
Lets wrap the garden with glass, and cover it with lights and a pretty new sign, then it will blend in with all the other "aesthetically pleasing" cookie cutter arenas around the nhl.

SupersonicMonkey*

I love it too, it's so unique and has a strange feel to it. Just makes me happy being there. Other arenas feel like...nothing. The Prudential Center is nice, but, so what?

I agree.

The Prudential Center feels like a mall. And the surrounding area is garbage.

MSG is beautiful. Especially after the renovations.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I agree.

The Prudential Center feels like a mall. And the surrounding area is garbage.

MSG is beautiful. Especially after the renovations.

Like a mall! Exactly. I love walking out of MSG and being in the center of the world. Plus I lived in the New Yorker hotel for 2 semesters, and my windows faced the Garden. That was awesome.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I can't really wax poetic about a structure that was demolished 50 years ago. I mean, that's ancient history at this point and, while I didn't read the article, I really can't see what's so bad about having MSG right above Penn Station. That's about as convenient as it gets no matter where you're coming from - no subway, no buses, no long walk, etc... just an escalator and a few stairs and you're there.

wr50l

Nov 5, 2011
I can say as an outsider, that it is unequivocally 'the world's most famous arena'. A tradition like the one which that building has should never be tossed aside, unless there are serious, serious reasons. What I mean by that is a situation in which say, the building is structurally unsound and is condemned, or it no longer functions as a profitable entity and no one wants to run it. Don't think MSG fits either of these criteria.

theJUMPER

Feb 25, 2012
As a commuter, I couldn't give a wet ***** what Penn looks like. I'm in, i'm out.

It serves its purpose. I'm not going to sit there and admire verandas and murals or whatever with the homeless guy picking through garbage right next to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad