NY Sportsday Article: Vesey as Early Dark Horse for Calder

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Vesey has been better than anyone could have hoped, but most guys haven't even played 10 games and it is way premature to be talking end of season awards. He might not have the buzz of a Laine or someone, but he was a major story in the offseason to those that pay attention to the sport and I don't think he's really under the radar.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I think he's under the radar for the Calder because he's older and there are the big names Matthews and Laine, etc.

But because he's so much older it will take him outscoring those guys by a significant margin to win the Calder and that's not likely to happen. No one wins the Calder with good all around play, points adjusted by icetime, and fitting in on a good team, they win it by putting up buttloads of points period

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Vesey is really good, but he's older and less trendy,

i don't see him jumping over all of Matthews, Werenski and the Finns,
TML's other rookie F's Nylander and Marner, and D men Provorov and Chychrun

being NYR fans, include Buch, thats a stunning top 10,
and there may well be 10 or more additional strong candidates

the NHL has become a young man's league

will be interesting to compare this year's rookies after their 3d and 5th seasons

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Vesey has been better than anyone could have hoped, but most guys haven't even played 10 games and it is way premature to be talking end of season awards. He might not have the buzz of a Laine or someone, but he was a major story in the offseason to those that pay attention to the sport and I don't think he's really under the radar.

I think he's under the radar for the Calder because he's older and there are the big names Matthews and Laine, etc.

But because he's so much older it will take him outscoring those guys by a significant margin to win the Calder and that's not likely to happen. No one wins the Calder with good all around play, points adjusted by icetime, and fitting in on a good team, they win it by putting up buttloads of points period

No doubt Vesey was a big story this offseason but it still was less than the press Mathews (and Laine) got around the draft and during WC.

Completely agree that older players' performance would be slightly discounted compared to teenage rookies.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Panarin won it last year at 24. The other finalists were a 23yo Gostisbehere and McDavid who missed a large part of the season, which didn't hurt.

Edit: THis is how ESPN has them ranked now: Nylander, Matthews, Laine, Konecny, Vesey

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Panarin won it last year at 24. The other finalists were a 23yo Gostisbehere and McDavid who missed a large part of the season, which didn't hurt.

Edit: THis is how ESPN has them ranked now: Nylander, Matthews, Laine, Konecny, Vesey

Panarin had a buttload of points and goals and significantly more than the next guy. That's what it'd take for Vesey to win

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
It's early and anything can happen, but honestly with the much younger players (18 y/o's) playing so well, I would think they have a stranglehold on the Calder. Vesey would have to perform otherworldly for an extended period to change the minds of the voters.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
He will win if he maintains that 31% shooting percentage through the end of the year...

Yeah, I saw that while looking at our scoring leaders. He needs to shoot the puck more, although I think he's gonna be the type of player who has a very high shooting percentage (closer to 15-20%) through his career as he generates a lot of high percentage plays, like a Jordan Staal.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Remember last season when people were talking about Calderberg?

I think everyone said "it's not going to last" and didn't expect him to actually be a calder contender at the end of the year. Any talk about him being a calder candidate I think was joking

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I think everyone said "it's not going to last" and didn't expect him to actually be a calder contender at the end of the year. Any talk about him being a calder candidate I think was joking

And I feel the same about Vesey. There's no way he is going to win the Calder, unless he scores 30 goals, and I don't see that happening. Matthews or Laine are the obvious candidates.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I think Vesey has a chance, but he's not going to get the minutes that Matthews, Laine or some of the others will get. However, his production per 60 and advanced statistics could end up being absolutely staggering.

The award doesn't concern me, it would be a nice bonus, but the real concern is the production. Can he stay consistent and at least pot 20 goals?

That's what I'm looking for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad