Proposal: NY Islanders/Florida

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Haven't posted a trade proposal here in many, many, MANY moons, so be kind :sarcasm:

This is the result of me mucking around on Capfriendly, trying to figure out a way out of the Islanders cap pickle... here's what I came up with

:isles:

Anton Stralman (D)

:panthers:

Johnny Boychuk (D)
Samuel Bolduc (D) *or other applicable sweetener*

Why the Islanders do it:

With the new Pulock deal, their 2nd buyout window opens within 48 hours or so, but the player they're buying out has to make $4M+... Buying out Boychuk or Ladd brings no real tangible cap relief. I suppose Leddy could work, but that buyout actually hurts them more in 2 years, which I'd tend to think is a no go. Plus, with the trade of Toews, he's a useful piece to keep.

Enter Stralman. His buyout penalties are as follows:

Years 1 and 2: $2.5M *3.5M in cap savings for Isles vs. keeping Boychuk*
Years 3 and 4: $1.5M

This probably clears enough space to get a new deal done for Barzal.

Why the Panthers do it:

They save over $3M in real dollars this year (as I assume Stralman's $1M signing bonus has already been paid out) and $1.5M next year. Boychuk is getting old, but he still is a competent defender who brings a wealth of toughness, character and experience.

They also get Bolduc, a big dman who can skate and had a nice year in Sherbook... or some other comparable sweetener

Why the Islanders don't do it:

They may be able to LTIR someone like Ladd or make a trade to clear cap. They also may prefer to pay more to clear the full Boychuk cap hit. I imagine the dead cap in upcoming seasons could be an issue with, for example, Beauvillier, Pelech and Sorokin needing new deals next summer.

Why the Panthers don't do it:

Simply put, it feels a bit like making a move for the sake of making a move. Zito seems committed to making them a bit harder to play against, but does Boychuk over Stralman really do that? Is a good prospect enough to bridge the gap between the two dmen in this climate, or do I underestimate Stralman's value? Do real dollars matter THAT much to Florida?

Anyway, that's enough from me.... your thoughts, esteemed fellow HFers?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I don’t like the idea of Giving up Bolduc and while Stralman is still a good player I feel there are other ways we could potentially deal boychuck without taking back salary cap hit in return. It would cost assets obviously.

I can’t really see FLA being interested doing something like this unless they really liked the prospect they were getting.

Not a bad thought though and I definitely respect the thinking.

Reactions: Mal Reynolds

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Not a terrible proposal if we can buyout Stralman under the confines of the rules. I'd do it from NYI perspective under that condition (also Boychuk has to waive his NTC).

Reactions: Mal Reynolds

Mal Reynolds

Sep 28, 2008
Shoot, you are correct. Buyout eligible players have to be on your roster as of the previous trade deadline

Back to the drawing board we go... and back under my proposal-less rock I go :sarcasm:

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Shoot, you are correct. Buyout eligible players have to be on your roster as of the previous trade deadline

Back to the drawing board we go... and back under my proposal-less rock I go :sarcasm:

Didn’t Orpik get traded and bought out a couple years ago?

Mal Reynolds

Sep 28, 2008

It also was during the first buyout window iirc. Guys like Marleau and Darling as well

I suspect the rule is specifically in place to avoid the shenanigans I suggested. Shame because there wouldn't really be any harm there

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Haven't posted a trade proposal here in many, many, MANY moons, so be kind :sarcasm:

This is the result of me mucking around on Capfriendly, trying to figure out a way out of the Islanders cap pickle... here's what I came up with

:isles:

Anton Stralman (D)

:panthers:

Johnny Boychuk (D)
Samuel Bolduc (D) *or other applicable sweetener*

Why the Islanders do it:

With the new Pulock deal, their 2nd buyout window opens within 48 hours or so, but the player they're buying out has to make $4M+... Buying out Boychuk or Ladd brings no real tangible cap relief. I suppose Leddy could work, but that buyout actually hurts them more in 2 years, which I'd tend to think is a no go. Plus, with the trade of Toews, he's a useful piece to keep.

Enter Stralman. His buyout penalties are as follows:

Years 1 and 2: $2.5M *3.5M in cap savings for Isles vs. keeping Boychuk*
Years 3 and 4: $1.5M

This probably clears enough space to get a new deal done for Barzal.

Why the Panthers do it:

They save over $3M in real dollars this year (as I assume Stralman's $1M signing bonus has already been paid out) and $1.5M next year. Boychuk is getting old, but he still is a competent defender who brings a wealth of toughness, character and experience.

They also get Bolduc, a big dman who can skate and had a nice year in Sherbook... or some other comparable sweetener

Why the Islanders don't do it:

They may be able to LTIR someone like Ladd or make a trade to clear cap. They also may prefer to pay more to clear the full Boychuk cap hit. I imagine the dead cap in upcoming seasons could be an issue with, for example, Beauvillier, Pelech and Sorokin needing new deals next summer.

Why the Panthers don't do it:

Simply put, it feels a bit like making a move for the sake of making a move. Zito seems committed to making them a bit harder to play against, but does Boychuk over Stralman really do that? Is a good prospect enough to bridge the gap between the two dmen in this climate, or do I underestimate Stralman's value? Do real dollars matter THAT much to Florida?

Anyway, that's enough from me.... your thoughts, esteemed fellow HFers?

Isles cannot acquire a player via trade and buy them out.

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
I don’t like the idea of Giving up Bolduc and while Stralman is still a good player I feel there are other ways we could potentially deal boychuck without taking back salary cap hit in return. It would cost assets obviously.

I can’t really see FLA being interested doing something like this unless they really liked the prospect they were getting.

Not a bad thought though and I definitely respect the thinking.
I don’t see Florida doing it because Viola loves his ex Rangers since he grew up a Rangers fan. I also don’t see how this benefits Florida.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Orpik was bought out during the normal June buyout period before UFA day on July 1st. The buyout rules are restricted for the 2nd post-buyout arbitration window that would normally happen in late July to mid August for teams with an arbitration case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad