GDT: NXT TakeOver: New Orleans (7th April 2018)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Meltzer on WOR said the NA Title was the best multi-man ladder match ever, and Gargano/Ciampa was one of the best matches in WWE history
I didn’t get the sense he thought Gargano/Ciampa was better than Gargano/Almas

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Gargano-Almas at the last TakeOver has been probably the best WWE match this year. The match itself was stellar. Then throw in the Vega interference and Candice getting involved and the close of the show with Ciampa returning to attack Johnny.

Two shows in a row, they've had fantastic gimmick matches...the extreme rules with Cole and Black, the 6-way ladder match for the North American title and Gargano-Ciampa was basically a glorified no-DQ match.

NXT is on fire right now. Unfortunately, I just don't find myself invested in the women's division. Other wise, it's great. Factions, feuds, quality builds to title match, great talent on the roster...it's a strong product.

Reactions: ColePens

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Ember just hasn't been a strong face like Asuka and Bayley were, and she definitely doesn't feel like a star like all the women's champions before her. She doesn't do much with the character she has. She works fine but doesn't really do anything spectacular. Her expressions seem overdone because people don't believe in her intensity. She just got put to sleep by the bully heel that she called out as a challenge, not the other way around, so now she kind of looks weak in a match that she took most of, especially when you consider that this is the woman we're supposed to feel pushed Asuka to her limits.

She's going to come up to the main roster, and I know Hunter speaks glowingly of her, but I don't really see her in a good position unless she does a heel run first. She's like a less-over Becky Lynch with even less personality, who can go in, do her moves, has her cool finisher and probably make other people look good putting them over. If she comes up tomorrow, she's going to come up, die, and turn heel just like everyone else Vince doesn't understand. She'd probably do ok if they do women's tag titles and work with someone who can get better reactions.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Ember just hasn't been a strong face like Asuka and Bayley were, and she definitely doesn't feel like a star like all the women's champions before her. She doesn't do much with the character she has. She works fine but doesn't really do anything spectacular. Her expressions seem overdone because people don't believe in her intensity. She just got put to sleep by the bully heel that she called out as a challenge, not the other way around, so now she kind of looks weak in a match that she took most of, especially when you consider that this is the woman we're supposed to feel pushed Asuka to her limits.

She's going to come up to the main roster, and I know Hunter speaks glowingly of her, but I don't really see her in a good position unless she does a heel run first. She's like a less-over Becky Lynch with even less personality, who can go in, do her moves, has her cool finisher and probably make other people look good putting them over. If she comes up tomorrow, she's going to come up, die, and turn heel just like everyone else Vince doesn't understand. She'd probably do ok if they do women's tag titles and work with someone who can get better reactions.

I was in 100% agreement until the Becky Lynch comparison. Ignoring all of the other dissimilarities, Ember can't carry a match and Becky most certainly can. Ember can be dragged into a good match against a significantly more skilled opponent, but not the other way around. That's one of the main reasons their first match was so much better than last night's (Ember had too much responsibility in the latter).

Reactions: ColePens

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't think the Philadelphia match was better than the New Orleans match. I think it just got a better reaction by a less-tired crowd.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
well guess im alone thinking G/C was better than G/A

but then this board is full of Almas marks so hey

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Nah, I found Gargano/Ciampa to be better. Or atleast I enjoyed it a lot more. The story of it all was amazing

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Nah, I found Gargano/Ciampa to be better. Or atleast I enjoyed it a lot more. The story of it all was amazing

dont worry my comment was mostly tongue in cheek. I thought G/A deserved 5 stars, but the G/C match just felt like a whole nother thing to me. it wasnt as paced as G/A, but it was a damn war

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
well guess im alone thinking G/C was better than G/A

but then this board is full of Almas marks so hey

Honest to God I thought Almas was quite boring at first when watching NXT. And I don't watch every week's show. I watched Takeover and that match blew me away. The build, the match, everything. That match was insane. Perfectly done. G/A is MOTY so far for me. G/C is right there with the ladder match in the top 5.

I still haven't watched the CWC match everyone is loving. I have to check that out. It's not about being an Almas mark. That match I could rewatch 10 times and not be bored. Similar to HBK/Taker WM25. For me - i could watch it 10 times in a row. Just such a tremendous match. Not taking away from G/C. Great storytelling, especially at the end.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Amazing show once again from NXT. Each time you think they have reached the pinnacle and they won't be able to top themselves they do it. The best Takeover until the next one :)

A few things to call out. The announce team is the best in pro wrestling. Love how Nigel is always rooting for his ROH buddies. Mauro's calls at the end of matches are always awesome and even if he has more hits than misses with the pop culture refrences they are still fun. Percy has improved by leaps and bounds and actually now adds to the team rather than detracting.

Baszler is going to be a huge star and has a good chance of overshadowing Ronda. She is what Ronda hopes to be. A bad ass that gets it done in the ring with a bad ass mentality. If WWE plays its cards right Baszler vs Ronda could main even a Mania. The story is already there. IWC seems to crap on Moon. I don't get it. Fans love her, good in the rign, decent on the mic. Not saying she is the top lady in the division but she is a solid performer who the fans just seem to gravitate to.

New Orleans was Undisputed Era territory. They popped hard for Adam Cole BAY BAY and for the Strong "heel" turn, which was more of a face turn LOL. Makes sense with Fish out to team them up with Strong to keep the ROH stable going. Cole will be a fun NA chicken shit heel champ. Love UE theme, AC's boom and pointing to himself, and of course BAY BAY.

Lars is the next Braun. Call him up already he isn't really NXT material. Give him 2 years on the main roster and you will see. Athletic, strong, and can cut a good promo. Dain and Sanity need to be called up ASAP. Ricochet will be huge in NXT. EC3 is what the WWE wishes Tino would of been. But he is missing something... What did the C stand for again? Might need to go to Nashville to find him a manager... Dream has become a huge star, funny enough another guy who no one believed in when his vignettes started to first air.

Almas and Vega need to be called up ASAP. Almas had an amazing title run. Drew/Gargano/Black were all 5 star classics. I am prepared to say Almas is a top 5 worker in the world, and with Vega by his side a top 5 character too. Black is a future star. He won't be in NXT for too long, the main roster cannot resist. But this was really a great way to cap off Almas NXT run. Started out with a bang, then fizzled, and then he turned it around to become the top act in pro wrestling IMO.

And finally my boy Johnny Wrestling. To see Gargano go from essentially a jobber in NXT to the most beloved man in the entire company was an amazing journey but I saw it in him on day 1. Wherever he went Gargano has always been a work horse and heart and soul guy and he has done it again in NXT. Ciampa owes this man his career. Without Johnny DIY doesn't take off, and Ciampa doens't become the worlds biggest ahole. Not to take anything away from Ciampa who has embraced his role and plays it to perfection but without Gargano this feud wouldn't be what it was.

Time for Almas, Gargano, AOP, Moon to make their way to the main roster. These guys and gals have all given us a ton of great memories in NXT but they need to write the next chapters of their careers. The great thing about NXT is that even when amazing talent moves on, new talent comes in. For every Owens or Zayn or Balor or Nak lost they get an Almas or Black or Gargano. New stars are there to take their place and to make history.

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
Last night was the 1st time watching any next event takeover or otherwise. But after so many people calling it quite possibly the card of the year I decided to watch. It was awesome. I had no idea who people were but they hooked me up with the stories in tha match.

I have to give the gargano ciampa match my match of the night. From ciampas musicless entrance with the boos raining down it sucked me in. The emotion in bothe theryr faces and the match was a flat out war. From the power bomb on the concrete to the use of the crutches to the finish. That finish was better than anything the main roster has done in yrs.

I'm now hooked and will start to invest in nxt

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I loved the PPV last night. I watched it this morning (PVR'd it) and I've said this previously about NXT. There isn't a better wrestling program or PPV out there right now than an NXT show or NXT Take Over. I'm not bothering with 'Mania tonight because of the stupid run time, but give NXT a platform like 'Mania and they'll dominate. I hate Paul Levesque the booking room committee champ, but I love Paul Levesque the NXT boss. He gets it. His booking and usage of wrestlers is second to none. While I kind of hate the role he's got Adam Cole in right now (Cole should be used in a way similar to Shawn Michaels was when DX formed), everybody else, he knows how to use them. Levesque also has a great team in place with regards to training, booking, and commentary. It's clear that when Vince decides enough is enough, Paul will and should get the first shot at being the guy who heads up everything.

Second, this is one of the best rosters I've ever seen in NXT. Ridiculous the amount of talent there. I'd like to see a new invasion angle with the NXT group and really have them take it to the RAW and SmackDown rosters. The NXT work rate is so much better and you can tell that they give it their all every time they're on TV. They should be the standard the main roster are held to.

Finally, I'm looking forward to when Baszler makes it to the big roster and we have a Baszler/Flair and Baszler/Asuka show down. That's got money written all over it.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
War Games to Phili to New Orleans... We were spoiled with NXT TakeOvers this year. My god.

Ciampa/Gargano
Gargano/Almas
6 Man Ladder
War Games
Cole/Black

Top 5 matches this year. WWE doesn't come close to these matches.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
I don't think the Philadelphia match was better than the New Orleans match. I think it just got a better reaction by a less-tired crowd.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one, and I really think it just comes down to personal preference. I thought the first match told a much better story with a smarter pacing. The ending last night was dragged out for far too long. The only thing better last night was who won.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Amazing show once again from NXT. Each time you think they have reached the pinnacle and they won't be able to top themselves they do it. The best Takeover until the next one :)

A few things to call out. The announce team is the best in pro wrestling. Love how Nigel is always rooting for his ROH buddies. Mauro's calls at the end of matches are always awesome and even if he has more hits than misses with the pop culture refrences they are still fun. Percy has improved by leaps and bounds and actually now adds to the team rather than detracting.

Baszler is going to be a huge star and has a good chance of overshadowing Ronda. She is what Ronda hopes to be. A bad ass that gets it done in the ring with a bad ass mentality. If WWE plays its cards right Baszler vs Ronda could main even a Mania. The story is already there. IWC seems to crap on Moon. I don't get it. Fans love her, good in the rign, decent on the mic. Not saying she is the top lady in the division but she is a solid performer who the fans just seem to gravitate to.

New Orleans was Undisputed Era territory. They popped hard for Adam Cole BAY BAY and for the Strong "heel" turn, which was more of a face turn LOL. Makes sense with Fish out to team them up with Strong to keep the ROH stable going. Cole will be a fun NA chicken **** heel champ. Love UE theme, AC's boom and pointing to himself, and of course BAY BAY.

Lars is the next Braun. Call him up already he isn't really NXT material. Give him 2 years on the main roster and you will see. Athletic, strong, and can cut a good promo. Dain and Sanity need to be called up ASAP. Ricochet will be huge in NXT. EC3 is what the WWE wishes Tino would of been. But he is missing something... What did the C stand for again? Might need to go to Nashville to find him a manager... Dream has become a huge star, funny enough another guy who no one believed in when his vignettes started to first air.

Almas and Vega need to be called up ASAP. Almas had an amazing title run. Drew/Gargano/Black were all 5 star classics. I am prepared to say Almas is a top 5 worker in the world, and with Vega by his side a top 5 character too. Black is a future star. He won't be in NXT for too long, the main roster cannot resist. But this was really a great way to cap off Almas NXT run. Started out with a bang, then fizzled, and then he turned it around to become the top act in pro wrestling IMO.

And finally my boy Johnny Wrestling. To see Gargano go from essentially a jobber in NXT to the most beloved man in the entire company was an amazing journey but I saw it in him on day 1. Wherever he went Gargano has always been a work horse and heart and soul guy and he has done it again in NXT. Ciampa owes this man his career. Without Johnny DIY doesn't take off, and Ciampa doens't become the worlds biggest ahole. Not to take anything away from Ciampa who has embraced his role and plays it to perfection but without Gargano this feud wouldn't be what it was.

Time for Almas, Gargano, AOP, Moon to make their way to the main roster. These guys and gals have all given us a ton of great memories in NXT but they need to write the next chapters of their careers. The great thing about NXT is that even when amazing talent moves on, new talent comes in. For every Owens or Zayn or Balor or Nak lost they get an Almas or Black or Gargano. New stars are there to take their place and to make history.

One thing N.O. has going for it over the others was the collections of match endings. Aside from Moon/Baszler, the end sequences were all rather fantastic. Moon/Baszler could have easily joined the others if it wasn't so dragged out. They could have essentially done the same thing, but their ending sequence should have been shorter and more dynamic if it wanted to match the others.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
The first match also had a submission that dragged far too long as well
I was probably more annoyed over how long that submission was locked in, in that first match tbh

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
The first match also had a submission that dragged far too long as well
I was probably more annoyed over how long that submission was locked in, in that first match tbh

Okay, but here is where I find the difference between the two:

1) The extended submission sequence in the first match was an extension of Baszler's dominance in that match;
2) The extended submission was ultimately countered and led to her loss;
3) In part 2, it was done to try to show Moon's resilience. In my opinion it failed to do that not because of the ultimate result (Moon losing), but because Moon doesn't sell the sequence especially well. By the time she ultimately lost consciousness I feel like most people had already lost interest.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
War Games to Phili to New Orleans... We were spoiled with NXT TakeOvers this year. My god.

Ciampa/Gargano
Gargano/Almas
6 Man Ladder
War Games
Cole/Black

Top 5 matches this year. WWE doesn't come close to these matches.

Again I'd put Velveteen Dream/Black over Cole/Black but agreed otherwise. So my question now, which may be more appropriate to the NXT thread but how does the Men's division shake out going forward with regards to who are in the mid-card chasing Cole for the North American championship and who challenges Black for the NXT championship.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
That 6 man ladder match was one of the best performances I have ever seen. Felt like I was back in high school watching The Hardys/Dudleys/Edge&Chrstian.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013

New Orleans was Undisputed Era territory. They popped hard for Adam Cole BAY BAY and for the Strong "heel" turn, which was more of a face turn LOL. Makes sense with Fish out to team them up with Strong to keep the ROH stable going. Cole will be a fun NA chicken **** heel champ. Love UE theme, AC's boom and pointing to himself, and of course BAY BAY.

Almas is good, I'd love to see him facing Okada, that's how good I think he is and I've only seen two of his matches!

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
As a newly returned fan it is so confusing to me as to why NXT is so much more entertaining in every single aspect of the industry while WWE has Roman Reigns pretending to cock his fist like it s a loaded gun.

Last edited:

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
As a newly returned fan it is so confusing to me as to why NXT is so much more entertaining in every single aspect of the industry while WWE has Roman Reigns pretending to cock high fist like it s a loaded gun.

Vince doesnt run it

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Couldn't watch Takover live, but I avoided the spoilers and started and finished it this morning. For comparison, I read the live reviews of WrestleMania last night and that's plenty good enough for me.

The Takeover card definitely lived up to the hype. Bravo, NXT.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad