GDT: NXT Takeover: Chicago (20th May 2017) - Putting Roode to sleep in Chicago!

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Just watched. Best show this year.

Roddy vs. Young: ***1/2
Dunne vs. Bate: *****
Riot vs. Asuka vs. Cross: ***1/4
Roode vs. Itami: ***3/4
DIY vs. AoP: ****1\2

Ciampa turn with ending logo: ************************

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF

agree with all those ratings. I just wish they hadnt cut to fans laughing during the heel turn but that was the only negative.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Big Dave will give it 4.5 because it wasn't in the Tokyo Dome.

In seriousness it was awesome and most likely the best match in WWE this year. I guess that isn't saying much as it's only competition off the top of my head is AJ/Cena at RR and the triple threat Tag Match at Takeover.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The continued kayfabe updates of the heel turn are just amazing.

No one knows the full state of Johnny's injuries because he refuses to talk to anyone, including doctors, because he is too heartbroken.

Candice also put out a social media post about how disgusted she is with someone she considered "a part of the family".

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI

No one knows the full state of Johnny's injuries because he refuses to talk to anyone, including doctors, because he is too heartbroken.

Candice also put out a social media post about how disgusted she is with someone she considered "a part of the family".

That's how you use social media in kayfabe wrestling terms. They can't have those two together posing on a trip like Braun and Roman. Play it like they were two friends that broke up for real.

When we don't have as many gimmicks and we're seeing more real life personalities (ie--guys wrestling with regular names and not some character like The Undertaker)...it's great to get a sense of these are actual people competing and it's not just two dudes that are working a match and going home.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
That's how you use social media in kayfabe wrestling terms. They can't have those two together posing on a trip like Braun and Roman. Play it like they were two friends that broke up for real.

When we don't have as many gimmicks and we're seeing more real life personalities (ie--guys wrestling with regular names and not some character like The Undertaker)...it's great to get a sense of these are actual people competing and it's not just two dudes that are working a match and going home.

It is absolutely the perfect way to keep kayfabe going. I love it and I can't wait to watch these two kill each other in Brooklyn.

This feud is going to be fire.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It'll probably Gargano's music, I think he was using it when he was working as a single.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016

And then you reveal they were having an affair all along! The heat Ciampa would get would be insane. They took his gurl!

Or I guess you guys would all be up in arms over the Flair/Elizabeth storyline.

Just have Ciampa watch that and go all in.

NYGBleedBlueNYR

Mar 16, 2010
I'd have the justification be that Ciampa wants to make it to the main roster. Whatever it takes to get that done.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Strong/Young - ***
Bate/Dunne - ****3/4
Asuka/Cross/Ruby Riot - ***1/2
Roode/Itami - ***1/2
AOP/DIY Ladder Match - ****1/4

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005

Upon second viewing, I agree with my ratings except the main event. I would put it down to ****. Still a great match with great story work to go with the post match angle... But there were far too many poor ladder climbing spots with the belts being so low.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I'd have the justification be that Ciampa wants to make it to the main roster. Whatever it takes to get that done.
The justification can be that and simply that ladder spot. Ciampa can be pissed that Gargano thinks he can't take care of himself.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
From Dave:

Strong/Young - ***1/4
Bate/Dunne - ****3/4
Asuka/Cross/Ruby Riot - ***1/2
Roode/Itami - ****1/4
AOP/DIY Ladder Match - ****1/4

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
It was definitely DIYs worst match in NXT.

But i don't blame them one bit for it. It's mostly because i see AoP as nothing but huge [MOD] that can't do much in the ring besides the "ryback special" of power moves at the end of a match to win.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->