NWHL acquires Minnesota Whitecaps

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
NWHL EXPANDS TO MINNESOTA

May 15, 2018– The National Women’s Hockey League (NWHL) has entered its first phase of expansion in a significant way. The league, founded in 2015 with a mission of providing strong female role models for the community while fueling the continued growth of the sport and brand of women’s hockey, has extended its reach by expanding to the great hockey state of Minnesota.
The NWHL has acquired the Minnesota Whitecaps, the State of Hockey franchise formed in 2004 and has been the home of many of the greatest players in the history of the game.

Like the Founding Four teams when the NWHL started in 2015, the Minnesota team will be owned initially by the league.

No word yet on where they'll play their home games, but the safe bet is the Wild's new practice facility in St. Paul. That's where the NWHL hosted its All-Star game this past season. Regardless, I think everyone knew this was inevitable, though I figured they'd slowly push the league's footprint in that direction first.

So will they even out the number of teams before the next season? Pittsburgh seems to be the next logical choice, but Michigan, Wisconsin, and Chicago make sense in terms of filling out the league's footprint.

Junipero

Jun 11, 2003
Paradise, NL
NWHL EXPANDS TO MINNESOTA

No word yet on where they'll play their home games, but the safe bet is the Wild's new practice facility in St. Paul. That's where the NWHL hosted its All-Star game this past season. Regardless, I think everyone knew this was inevitable, though I figured they'd slowly push the league's footprint in that direction first.

So will they even out the number of teams before the next season? Pittsburgh seems to be the next logical choice, but Michigan, Wisconsin, and Chicago make sense in terms of filling out the league's footprint.

While evening out the teams would be great in terms of scheduling and providing even more opportunities for female hockey players, it would be terrible for the NWHL to expand quicker than they can handle. It will be interesting to see how the extra travel expenses will impact the overall financial stability of the league. I'm hoping for the best for all the teams, players and league execs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->