Confirmed with Link: Nutivaara signs 4-yr extension

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
It took him some time to adjust to the NA/NHL game, but not too much time. And he’s so comfortable and confident now.

Thank you.

The story of Nutivaara's rise is exceptional yet it was pretty much told already in the spring of 2015 when he was in the play-offs playing in the top-4 for Ermines of Tar City for one of the best teams in Afroeurasia of that era. What came after had already been seen. Josef Boumedienne of the Blue Jackets and the Chicago Blackhawks were also where the strawberries are fresh, where we always are. Play-offs injuries which cost Kärpät their third Kanada chalice in a row in Nutivaara's second season and Columbus perhaps the series have also had an unfortunate effect, limiting his success to one Kanada chalice and a bronze in four professional seasons. The nights he dedicates to women.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Jones' deal strikes me as an excellent one. Cap room is going to be tight next few years so maybe 2.7 was all that could be afforded and if we wanted a longer term then maybe he wanted more per year. Dunno. I agree with mikeyp that it takes two to make a deal so you can't always put the blame on Jarmo & Co.

The Jones deal is a very good one. Yes-it takes two to tango on a contract.

I just find it hard to believe that a player like Nutivaara couldn't be coaxed into an extra two years at approximately the same rate. Poile seems to be able to do it-especially with players from Scandinavia. Forsberg, Ekholm, and Jarnkrok all signed for 6 years. Arviddson for 7 years. All had significant time left as RFAs when doing so.

Young players who are likely to remain decent are easy to trade when they have reasonable contracts. Older players (cough, cough) like Dubinsky....not so easy. Players like Nutivaara and Johansen had already proven that they could play effectively at the NHL level-they had nothing further to "prove"-one of the tired mantras of this FO. It's also pretty common knowledge that players usually peak by their late 20s so locking players up through that time frame makes more sense than signing aging veterans (like Atkinson) to 7 year deals. Atkinson is another example of a player who could have probably been tied up for 6 or 7 years on his last RFA deal instead of just 2 years. Bob is another who should have had an extra 2 or 3 years on his latest deal.

Poile has assembled a team which has been and will be Stanley Cup competitive for years using his approach and it would seem to be a very sound model to emulate.

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I will say, especially since I was having a bit of fun earlier, that that poster was basically right about Nuti. It took him some time to adjust to the NA/NHL game, but not too much time. And he’s so comfortable and confident now.
Partial. Most of us never doubted he could be good per se; what got the guy laughed at was insisting that Nuti was unquestionably the best blueline prospect in the organization.

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
Markus "Nuti" Nutivaara won't be culminating the hockey season with the best quality games at this spring's World Championship tournament because a shoulder injury prevents him from joining, YLE reports.

"I won't be going to the World Championships, I just came from the medical check and they said that the injury is still on.

The desire would have been keen so it irks. A coach I know (Late Marjamäki) and some role would have been on the plate. It will vex but cannot do anything since the shoulder does work yet. There is the risk that if the right kind of tälli comes it can get even worse. That would mean a surgery. Luckily now it seems like that I will manage without the knife."

hh8nAeF.jpg

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
Perkele! Strange news coming from the west as Jorma Kekäläinen has been reported saying Nuti will be coming the World Championships then after all.

latest

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
The Lions for the World Championship tournament in Denmark have now been announced. Fat face of the west did not lie as Nuti is in.

Now for a change Nuti gets a chance to work with some names as Heiskanen, Aho, Granlund and Teräväinen are also selected with Marjamäki (two time SM-liiga champion with Kärpät) as head coach and Tapola (two time SM-liiga champion head coach with Tappara and next head coach of KHL's Kunlun Red Star) and Manner (this spring's SM-liiga champion head coach with Kärpät) as assistants. All their recent glory came with meidän peli, our game which has now won six Kanada chalices in a row since Karri Kivi's Ässät won in 2013 (Kivi went onto win U-20 WJC gold next year with meidän peli) out of which five have went to Finland's current coaching team as head coaches. Yesterday Finland won American empire in the U-18 WJC tournament final, with meidän peli.

Or as the Pondering One wrote:

"Those days are over when "entertaining hockey" was played in U-18 world championships. As the wonderful analyst at YLE sports analyzed, the Small Lions rhytms, plays Meidän Peli! There have been delayed takeoffs, returns and pucky. Wow! We have a play identity."

Marjamäki has returned to meidän peli this season after his odysseia so return to gold standard will forecast a visit to the agora. So unlike the false testimony heard in these forums Finland has not always stayed faithful to meidän peli which has brought U-20 WJC and World Championship success in three golds this decade and an era of utter dominance in the SM-liiga for those who have found their identity which is still despite all this success threatened as there was in example no direct succession from Marjamäki to Manner, Marjamäki's assistant coach but a complete disregard for the play in their hiring decision in between which was in favour of speed narrative, disregarding meidän peli completely. The false idea of speed brough them zero to two exit from the first round of play-offs.

The true first Finnish general manager in the NHL would have a great chance to learn from this great phenomenon which is still in the hands of a few coaches instead of creating a larger understanding which winning does not create by itself. Take in example Detroit Red Wings who purged all they had built. They had not created with their minds or learned anything of eternal value.

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
Glad to have you back, Tulip.

May God be good to you because you have charm, warmth and class. May he give you happiness.

"Sports, in this case top sports, is the window from what I view the world. That has been my business. I watched when that gang, if you had thrown a pin in there and it would have rolled in from somewhere you would have heard it because that incarcenates the gang, now that geezer speaks from deep, he speaks of it yet we were speaking of their business. Of winning, losing, team game, team spirit, balance, handling defeats, coping with victories, defeat tube, winning duct, how to keep going, etc, etc. I am grateful to the play that I have been allowed to live and learn these things. Dot.

Play is the window that I overall view the life. And this game has taught that this certain bravery, it has came from inside. You can fall on your arse ten times but as long as you have the strenght to rise up that day, that moment will come."

The Sun King on Gentlemen's sauna night. Chapeau.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad