Confirmed with Link: Nutivaara signs 4-yr extension

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
It means Murray will stay, because he makes Nutti better, and they are legit 2nd pair.
If Cole, is resigned, which I think will be a must, Him and Savard would be the second pair, which makes me think Murray will be traded. Coles playoff experience, and veteran leadership, are something this team desperately needs. Guess we find out this offseason

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
If Cole, is resigned, which I think will be a must, Him and Savard would be the second pair, which makes me think Murray will be traded. Coles playoff experience, and veteran leadership, are something this team desperately needs. Guess we find out this offseason
How keeping Cole means trading Murray? You have 3 pair that fit and compliment each other, no one outside of lineup is better than current 6. Kukan is 7. Again, JJ money is enough to keep all 3 of them.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
How keeping Cole means trading Murray? You have 3 pair that fit and compliment each other, no one outside of lineup is better than current 6. Kukan is 7. Again, JJ money is enough to keep all 3 of them.
I guess it comes down to paying your 3rd pair defenseman, that has missed 45% of eligible games due to injury, 3-4 mill per season. Maybe they do, cant imagine there is much of a trade market for Murray , due to his various injuries. Plus there are a logjam of players mentioned that could fill that 6 spot .

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I guess it comes down to paying your 3rd pair defenseman, that has missed 45% of eligible games due to injury, 3-4 mill per season. Maybe they do, cant imagine there is much of a trade market for Murray , due to his various injuries. Plus there are a logjam of players mentioned that could fill that 6 spot .

I think, if they can't get Murray to ink a deal similar to Nuuti's, at that point you have to trade him for another asset.

Otherwise, if he'll stay in that 2.5-3.5 range, you have to keep him and not sell low due to his injuries.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I think, if they can't get Murray to ink a deal similar to Nuuti's, at that point you have to trade him for another asset.

Otherwise, if he'll stay in that 2.5-3.5 range, you have to keep him and not sell low due to his injuries.
I don't pay him over 2.5-2.7 mill , unless it becomes incentives, based on playing a certain number of games per season .

Reactions: Jackets Fan

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Love this. Great job Jarmo.

In regards to Murray, he shouldn't sign for a penny more than he is currently making. I love the player but he's got a lot to prove. I wouldn't be too upset if he's dealt and we bring in someone else to play with Nuti.

Reactions: Jackets Fan

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Murray will get 3M - 2 year, stay healthy deal, after which he still RFA. And stop with this 3rd pair bs, Murray is 1PK unit with Jones. He's #4 in TOI since he returned from injury.

Reactions: db2011

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Or maybe he puts you there so you fix your mistakes and end up becoming a better player?

Torts makes very questionable personnel decisions. This year has nothing to do with his moronic decision(s) around the start of the playoffs last season. This is not unique to Torts, it's pretty common with humans as a whole.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Good for Nuti. He has really grown this year from a 3rd pairing guy to a middle pairing guy, and he's got room to grow. The dollars aren't outrageous and he's a part of the future.

Future:

Jones
Z
Savard
Cole (hopefully)
Nutivaara
Murray (?)

Nothing to sneeze at there.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
For the life of me, I don't understand why he doesn't sign these younger players to 6 year deals on the cheap.

Nashville Predators - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Poile is a much better strategist than Jarmo.
It takes 2 sides to agree on the deal. You can't always get the term with young players. And when you do those players come back on the next contract saying I did you a favor the first time now it's my turn and gets overpaid or leaves for the highest bidder.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
It takes 2 sides to agree on the deal. You can't always get the term with young players. And when you do those players come back on the next contract saying I did you a favor the first time now it's my turn and gets overpaid or leaves for the highest bidder.
And that's a risk you take.

Being able to sell a young player on security (guaranteed money) isn't a tough sell.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
And that's a risk you take.

Being able to sell a young player on security (guaranteed money) isn't a tough sell.
You must not have much confidence in yourself then. Nuti was a 7th round pick and showed why other teams made a mistake not taking him and now he has shown he can hang in there. I'm pretty sure because his injury last year and missing so many games he might even be considered a rookie but regardless putting up his numbers in only his 2nd partial year here he has played well.

Also he has been hurt now 2 years in a row. There's been a little bit of a double standard here with him and Murray. It's easy to see it's because 1 is more offensive focused people care less then when a shut down guy can't stay healthy. But if we pay him this amount for say 6 years and he stays this caliber and continues with health problems it's not good.

To me it seems GMJK is very solid at signing RFAs to deals that are in that goldy locks zone. No to expensive and not too long. Juuuuuuust right. He will pay you what you deserve and term you deserve and be fair about it BUT it seems since his earlier years he has decided to be more cautious and not really budge. Anderson's deal and the JJ situation are great examples of that.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I'll disagree. Murray will be re-signed and he and Nuti make a better 2nd pair for most game situations. Cole should also be re-signed on a short term deal. He and Savard make a great shutdown pair but both, to me, have more limitations in today's NHL (that's not to say I don't like either one - although I could easily see Savard moved if a younger RHD could be brought in to play a similar role - granted Savard has looked so much better this past month or so.)

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
However, when Murray does play he's been quite good the last two years. I recognize you probably don't agree but he's a difference maker and solidified the defense - his problem is staying healthy. If he is willing to be in the $3.0-3.5M range I think that's a good investment - even with his injury history. Great with Nuti.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
The question now becomes who is the odd man out after next season? Z and Jones are a lock. Nuti now is signed 4 years. Savard has term still and the right side depth is minimal. It's highly highly likely JJ is gone. Something really crazy would have to happen imo for him to stay I just don't see it. So Cole and Murray are left. I hope Murray signs a 4 year 3 mil deal or a little more with incentive for games played. We all want Cole back but at what cost do we go there he will want term and a raise. Then Gavrikov can come over from the KHL. We will also Have Carlson, Kukan, and maybe Harrington although I'd take futur considerations for him. It's a good problem to have but trades are going to have to be made.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Good for Nuti. He has really grown this year from a 3rd pairing guy to a middle pairing guy, and he's got room to grow. The dollars aren't outrageous and he's a part of the future.

Future:

Jones
Z
Savard
Cole (hopefully)
Nutivaara
Murray (?)

Nothing to sneeze at there.
My list has a hopefully beside Murray instead of a ?. That 6 is as good as any group in the league after Nashville imo

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I will say, especially since I was having a bit of fun earlier, that that poster was basically right about Nuti. It took him some time to adjust to the NA/NHL game, but not too much time. And he’s so comfortable and confident now.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
For the life of me, I don't understand why he doesn't sign these younger players to 6 year deals on the cheap.

Nashville Predators - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Poile is a much better strategist than Jarmo.

Jones' deal strikes me as an excellent one. Cap room is going to be tight next few years so maybe 2.7 was all that could be afforded and if we wanted a longer term then maybe he wanted more per year. Dunno. I agree with mikeyp that it takes two to make a deal so you can't always put the blame on Jarmo & Co.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->