Nurse suspended 3 games

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
On average people were tougher back then. Farmers doing much more manual work, etc. Tougher times, no babying, etc. My great grandfather was an absolute beast of a man in terms of strength and besides genetics some of that had to do with the physical labor that he did that many laborers today would moan about and get hurt doing because they weren't toughened up for it or weren't strong enough to get the job done. Not buying that people back then were lightweights that couldn't punch their way out of paper bags compared to people today.

Could we discuss this in another thread as its been deemed OT?

In anycase athletes are now bigger, taller, stronger, faster and live longer. Nutrients, training, science, public health having its effects.

I see your argument but that doesn't discount that todays athletes are better in any measurable way than a century ago.

Now if the discussion was that people were more physically active and working strong a century ago than, yeah, I agree. But todays athlete has every advantage.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
turtleturtle_gil1ej.jpg

I didn't think it was possible to botch Logans mug, because Logan, but I managed it.

that's something else:laugh:

what are you using?

sark76

Oct 9, 2011
Pripyat Marshes
No horse in this race.....deserved a suspension for sure...but 3 games is too long...1 or 2 would have been more fair...but again...if you injure a player or draw that much blood...it's going to be longer...fair? Probably not in a perfect world, but thats the way thing have been and will be going forward.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Not picking on anyone in particular but I've noticed fans here are angry at three games and fans in other cities are angry it wasn't 20. Fans (fanatics) are hilarious.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
Shouldn't have even been 1 game imo. Didn't even call it a penalty on the ice. If the refs can be wrong in NOT making a call, then shouldn't they also be held accountable for the endless amounts of BS calls they make game-in and game-out. Honestly, **** this league and it's two tiered system.

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
This is a concern not specific to this instance, but in general, that the NHL HAS to address.

This is a league that allows bare knuckle fighting with combatants increasingly stronger, more powerful and exerting ever more psi in every punch. The force of the blows are increasing. But the human ability of skull to absorb these punches does not increase. Resulting in increasingly more severe consequence and even death.

A league that claims to care about concussions, brain injuries, and subsequent debilitating effects for its players is continuing to allow bareknuckle fighting. Something that was eliminated from Boxing over a century ago.

Well it was a joke.At first it was just a scrum if the two linesman were to jump in after it was obvious dude is just covering up , but the guy is collapsing to the ice and Nurse is still allowed to uppercut at least two to three times.
Not blaming Nurse, hes involved. But the 2 striped hobbits standing there playing with their whistles....wake up.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Well it was a joke.At first it was just a scrum if the two linesman were to jump in after it was obvious dude is just covering up , but the guy is collapsing to the ice and Nurse is still allowed to uppercut at least two to three times.
Not blaming Nurse, hes involved. But the 2 striped hobbits standing there playing with their whistles....wake up.

And Couture is on the bench like

http://youtu.be/mAUY1J8KizU

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The 2 guys who should suspended are the 2 idiot officials. What the frig are you doing there when Nurse obviously injured him with the first punch and he was just covering up after that. Nope. They break it up after they fall to the ice. It wasnt even a fight. Just one guy laying a beating on another. To MMA refs looking for a guy to lay the deathblow.

I alluded in an earlier post in this thread that I thought one of the differences between the Nurse incident and the Domi incident was how the officials handled it. Domi's fight was broken up much quicker and wasn't allowed to get any more out of hand. The officials in Nurse's fight (as you said) waited until both players fell to the ice. If the league is suspending Nurse for being an aggressor and continuing to fight when he should have stopped then why didn't the officials try to break it up sooner?

I agree they should also be suspended but even if they are we'd likely never hear about it. The worst thing the league ever did in regards to their officials is to take their names off their backs. They escape so much accountability by people having to take the time to look up their numbers to try and figure out who they are.

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
"Beat his ass" - Papa Nurse.

This will benefit Darnell long term. The majority of Oiler fans and all of his teammates support him. The days of being bullied are over. Never change Darnell, battle like that for your teammates every game (maybe pick your spots a bit better).

I've talked to many Oiler fans, even guys that don't like fighting support what Darnell did. It's more than just laying a beat down on Polak. It's about digging our heels in. It's about taking pride in standing together with your teammates. It's about a brotherhood and a bond. It's knowing the guys beside you will sacrifice themselves for the team.

When Nurse v Polak happens on the 24th, if Nurse beats his ass again, the legend only grows. He's got nothing to lose. Polak is older, heavier, and more experienced in the NHL. Step up Roman.

6'4 frame, athletic family background. Damn, when he fills out Nurse will be around 6'4 220-230 Lbs. Good skater with a nasty streak. I want Nurse on my team all day. He'll be a future assistant captain a few years down the road.

Nurse is starting to find his place in the league. When he establishes himself look out NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad