Numerous NHL superstars to be paid their regular salaries during the lockout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Accord

Sep 25, 2004
South Florida
National Hockey League owners may be losing less money by locking out the players, but many teams will still end up forking over millions of dollars to some of the game's top names this season.

Ed Belfour, Ed Jovanovski, Rob Blake, Owen Nolan and Alexander Mogilny are just some of the marquis names on a long list players who are currently recovering from injuries incurred last season or during the recently completed World Cup of Hockey. If they're deemed physically unable to play on Oct.13, the scheduled start of the 2004-05 season, they would be entitled to collect a full salary until they are medically cleared.

There's a lot more to the article but I don't think i'm allowed to quote all of it so click here to read the rest: http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?id=1890452

:)

Edit: You posted entirely too much already, actually. No more than two paragraphs, please. - Sotnos

Last edited by a moderator:

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
hmmm....

So, what is the official deal if the entire season is cancelled in regards to player's contracts? If a guy, who going into this lockout had 2 years left on his deal, would that mean that he would only have 1 year left or 2 years left if the season is cancelled?

Cause, if guys are getting paid a salary if they were hurt from last season, and the season is cancelled, wouldn't that mean that 1 year of their contract is taken off?

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Street Hawk said:
So, what is the official deal if the entire season is cancelled in regards to player's contracts? If a guy, who going into this lockout had 2 years left on his deal, would that mean that he would only have 1 year left or 2 years left if the season is cancelled?

Cause, if guys are getting paid a salary if they were hurt from last season, and the season is cancelled, wouldn't that mean that 1 year of their contract is taken off?

I'm pretty sure everyone loses a season regardless of health status.... ie -> if they're in their option year now, they're contract is up next summer whether there's a season or not....

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Jovanovski = Norris said:
If they are injured then they are paid their salaries by insurance companies and not by the teams.

Not necessisarily. There is no rule that syas contracts must be insured. Teams decide on a case by case basis whether to insure contracts or not. Insurance is extremly expensive, so its usually worth the risk to not insure the lesser contracts.

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
I remember reading something about the Sabres not too long ago that mentioned only the top 5 or so contracts were insured. The rest would have to be picked up by the team if anything happened.

Accord

Sep 25, 2004
South Florida
hockeytown9321 said:
Not necessisarily. There is no rule that syas contracts must be insured. Teams decide on a case by case basis whether to insure contracts or not. Insurance is extremly expensive, so its usually worth the risk to not insure the lesser contracts.

How much would it cost to insure a huge contract? I mean when you're paying a guy 8 million, it makes sense to get insurance, you never know what could happen.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Accord said:
How much would it cost to insure a huge contract? I mean when you're paying a guy 8 million, it makes sense to get insurance, you never know what could happen.

I don't know, buts its expensie. It gets more expnesive of the player has had a history of injuries or is older. It makes sense to get it for the guys making $8 million, but lower end guys are worth the risk not to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad