Nugent Hopkins Is Having A Nice Season

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Finally starting to live up to #1 overall hype I see. Hopefully he can keep it up. No such thing as too much talent in this league, so long as said talent isn't playing for Boston or Montreal, haha.

Reactions: Oilers Propagandist

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
There are times when I watch him play and think "omg connor is so good" and then I see it is Nuge.

Yeah this happens to me too... maybe because both their numbers are in the 90's so they look kinda similar?

It doesn't happen to me when McDave is on the ice though, lol.

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
His bounce back year has been huge because it allows McLellen to embrace the McDavid/Draisaitl chemistry. If RNH wasn't carrying the second line, it would be necessary split them up and try to get another line going.

However, I wouldn't mind seeing what RNH looks like with Draisaitl or McDavid. I don't think he's ever played on a line with either of them.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
T
guy is a second line player but I don't think hes the kind of guy that wins at all. Hes an intersting type. He's not a guy you'd want as your ideal #1 or #2 C

to me he's an ideal 2nd line winger.

The fact you think RNH should be a winger shows me that you have never really watched him play.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
guy is a second line player but I don't think hes the kind of guy that wins at all. Hes an intersting type. He's not a guy you'd want as your ideal #1 or #2 C

One of the most uninformed posts I have read on here lol . He is a Center and a good defensive one as well .

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Next time you hear the oilers are playing and it is on TV in your area, make sure the damn TV is turned on, It really helps with being able to judge players.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
They're hoping that RNH becomes an elite 2C but are offended when his progression is compared to an established elite 2C that's played as a 1C for the better part of his career and produced/carried a line/been a leader. Head scratcher. But I guess comparing a consistent 8 year career with little talent for winger's ppg (not to mention his first 100 games on the 4th line with PHX) to that of one who's had the likes of Eberle/Hall is reflective of their overall talent.

Last 4 seasons PPG: 0.7, 0.74, 0.62, and 0.52 vs 0.71, 0.53,0.78, and 0.71.
You're telling me if RNH hit those last 4 seasons of Turris' production, based on his current trend, it'd be disappointing?

If we're going to go with blanket statements, yours is moreso one. Turris has had a better PPG in 3 of the last 4 seasons compared to RNH. Turris' career high in points: 64; RNH's: 56.

RNH has a great PPG but he's also never sustained it for a full season either. going 0.83 and 0.78 ppg or whatever is nice, but when its over 60-70 games, it's a lot harder to extrapolate his full output potential. This also adds to that Turris is very reliable healthwise. He was our team's ironman for the better part of his stay with us.

PS. the year RNH had a statistically better offensive year than Turris? Two seasons ago when Turris played injured on one leg for the better part of 10 games (obviously scoring a fat 0) until we shut him down for the remainder of the season.

Lets bring in Turris best seasons as an argument to debunk RNH's career PPG advantage despite Turris being 28 and RNH now only approaching his prime. Good Logic. No one denied Turris being a better offensive player the last 3 seasons. When you bring that into a conversation your only arguing with yourself. Also in the season RNH statistically was slightly better you throw in the defacto 'Turris' was playing on one leg excuse to dumb down RNH's numbers. Then we got pom pom wavers in here Dumbing down RNH's rookie season "more min" "crappy team" etc lol . Fact is RNH at 18 was torching the NHL rookie race and holds a higher PPG thus far and is approaching his prime. We will see who produces more moving forward. Put your Turris Pom Poms down. The next few years should become more clear on who is a better offensive player.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown

Wow. Next time suggest the Oilers transition him to the blueline.

983 others

Aug 26, 2009
Good for RNH, he's really underrated just because he's not a flashy player, but he's as solid as you can get.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Lets bring in Turris best seasons as an argument to debunk RNH's career PPG advantage despite Turris being 28 and RNH now only approaching his prime. Good Logic. No one denied Turris being a better offensive player the last 3 seasons. When you bring that into a conversation your only arguing with yourself. Also in the season RNH statistically was slightly better you throw in the defacto 'Turris' was playing on one leg excuse to dumb down RNH's numbers. Then we got pom pom wavers in here Dumbing down RNH's rookie season "more min" "crappy team" etc lol . Fact is RNH at 18 was torching the NHL rookie race and holds a higher PPG thus far and is approaching his prime. We will see who produces more moving forward. Put your Turris Pom Poms down. The next few years should become more clear on who is a better offensive player.

But wouldn't you say that stating RNH is evolving into a comparable to someone who you've conceded yourself has statistically been better 3 of the last 4 years is not a slight? Scoffing at that and pretending Turris is inferior is what's ridiculous. Arguing that Turris is older and achieved his recent productivity in his prime whilst RNH has achieved similar results at an earlier stage in development doesn't make sense if no one said RNH had plateaued at 22 yo. Especially when "reaching a Turris level" is a compliment. We're not saying he's like JG Pageau here.

In the end, no one is saying Turris is the best you can hope for out of RNH or projecting he never goes back to hitting a 0.8PPG pace. However his 6-7 seasons since his rookie season don't suggest it's likely he's going to be a 0.8 ppg player on a full season. Especially when he's no longer and unknown rookie that people aren't putting more defensive pressure on.

It's nice to hear "Croby-lite" and "Malkin-ceiling" but sometimes, realistic projections are fun to discuss. For example, Senators fans talk about seeing Bergeron-lite in Colin White, but in reality, he's more likely to be Rob Niedermeier 3C guy, despite no evidence other than the odds of a college standout typically not translating into becoming an NHL star.

No one's waving pom-poms, you just have to put your keyboard shield down and not be so defensive about other random internet stranger's assessments that may be under-toned compared your teams' fans.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
But wouldn't you say that stating RNH is evolving into a comparable to someone who you've conceded yourself has statistically been better 3 of the last 4 years is not a slight? Scoffing at that and pretending Turris is inferior is what's ridiculous. Arguing that Turris is older and achieved his recent productivity in his prime whilst RNH has achieved similar results at an earlier stage in development doesn't make sense if no one said RNH had plateaued at 22 yo. Especially when "reaching a Turris level" is a compliment. We're not saying he's like JG Pageau here.

In the end, no one is saying Turris is the best you can hope for out of RNH or projecting he never goes back to hitting a 0.8PPG pace. However his 6-7 seasons since his rookie season don't suggest it's likely he's going to be a 0.8 ppg player on a full season. Especially when he's no longer and unknown rookie that people aren't putting more defensive pressure on.

It's nice to hear "Croby-lite" and "Malkin-ceiling" but sometimes, realistic projections are fun to discuss. For example, Senators fans talk about seeing Bergeron-lite in Colin White, but in reality, he's more likely to be Rob Niedermeier 3C guy, despite no evidence other than the odds of a college standout typically not translating into becoming an NHL star.

No one's waving pom-poms, you just have to put your keyboard shield down and not be so defensive about other random internet stranger's assessments that may be under-toned compared your teams' fans.

Looks like Keyboard shield is firmly up in your corner from your last 2 replies lol . Im just stating the obvious. Right ?

Reactions: playasRus

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
RNH is the kind of player who listens to their coach TOO MUCH and forgets their creativity. McLellan told him specially to take more offensive risks this season and not to focus on defense so much and he's putting up good offense so far. Also this is the first time in his career he hasn't been strapped to Eberle so take from that what you will

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
The worst part is that Ryan Useless-Hopkins is a much, much better insult.
It rolls off the tongue better too. I personally believe Nuge gets alot of unwarranted shit from fans, He's consistently put up a 50+ point pace throughout his young career and has developed into a decent two-way player. No he's not a point per game superstar, but not every 1st overall pick is.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Is he worth 6 million per year? Absolutely not. Trade him while his stock ( and hot streak) is high...
Look at guys who are making 6M these days. If RNH returns to form where he is a ~55 point guy who plays a ton of minutes then he is worth that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->