Nugent Hopkins Is Having A Nice Season

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
1488655548107.gif

He finally figured out that focusing solely on playing safe, defensive hockey wasn't helping anyone.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He was bound to bounce back somewhat from last season. He had a sub-7 oiSH%, and a guy with his level of offensive skills, prior history and playing with half competent linemates, that wasn't going to hold long-term. It's unlikely he ever becomes what people thought he'd be after his rookie year (which had inflated numbers) and probably not what he was projected at the draft. But, he should be able to at least come close to the level of a guy like Kyle Turris.

While I don't like heavily weighting advanced stats before the 20 game mark, his underlying relative numbers are pretty horrific at the moment. Although, in regards to Raw numbers they are probably the best of his career. Part of that is, his numbers are getting measured relative to McDavid who plays an insane amount of minutes.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
He was bound to bounce back somewhat from last season. He had a sub-7 oiSH%, and a guy with his level of offensive skills, prior history and playing with half competent linemates, that wasn't going to hold long-term. It's unlikely he ever becomes what people thought he'd be after his rookie year (which had inflated numbers) and probably not what he was projected at the draft. But, he should be able to at least come close to the level of a guy like Kyle Turris.

While I don't like heavily weighting advanced stats before the 20 game mark, his underlying relative numbers are pretty horrific at the moment. Although, in regards to Raw numbers they are probably the best of his career. Part of that is, his numbers are getting measured relative to McDavid who plays an insane amount of minutes.

age 28 : Kyle Turris ... LOL ....... Kyle Turris guys. Career ppg : 0.59
Age 24: Nugent Hopkins Career PPG: 0.68

When in the world did Turris become the next big thing and Hopkins become so underrated ? a part of me thinks its the vitriol on HFboards towards the Oilers due to all the 1st overalls handed to them.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
He's had a good start. His goal production will sag, there is no way he maintains that bloated shooting percentage. His assist numbers should stay around the same level or improve slightly

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
age 28 : Kyle Turris ... LOL ....... Kyle Turris guys. Career ppg : 0.59
Age 24: Nugent Hopkins Career PPG: 0.68

When in the world did Turris become the next big thing and Hopkins become so underrated ? a part of me thinks its the vitriol on HFboards towards the Oilers due to all the 1st overalls handed to them.
Yeah, you might have a point if RNH was continually offensively progressing but he isn't. This is no bias against the Oilers, your victim complex is hilarious. I'm more likely to dislike a guy who played for the Senators than the Oilers.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Yeah, you might have a point if RNH was continually offensively progressing but he isn't. This is no bias against the Oilers, your victim complex is hilarious. I'm more likely to dislike a guy who played for the Senators than the Oilers.

wait so now that the blanket statement you threw out has been thwarted with actual facts, you resort to the bolded statement above as your counter argument. Whether he progresses, which he is actually is doing if you watch hockey this season, or not , he is still already a better offensive player then Turris and 4 years younger. Stick to analyzing players you actually watch. It will do you good.

Last edited:

TB1299

Apr 13, 2016
guy is a second line player but I don't think hes the kind of guy that wins at all. Hes an intersting type. He's not a guy you'd want as your ideal #1 or #2 C

to me he's an ideal 2nd line winger.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
will still outproduce Backlund.

wait so now that the blanket statement you threw out has been thwarted with actual facts, you resort to the bolded statement above as your counter argument. Whether he progresses, which he is actually is doing if you watch hockey this season, or not , he is still already a better offensive player then Turris and 4 years younger. Stick to analyzing players you actually watch. It will do you good.
I've watched him multiple times, and a significant amount of times over his time in the NHL. Turris has been the better offensive player over the last 3 year and the better player. It's not like RNH development has been linear. So, because he was better at 24, doesn't mean he'll be better than Turris from 25 to 28.

I'll make sure to remember your comments next time you comment on anything Leafs or non-Oilers related.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The best part is him playing well offensively has actually helped his defensive game as well.

Yup. That was the worst part. As he focused on playing defensively, he actually started to get worse defensive results.

It seems like he's finally figured it out. You have to possess the puck in the offensive zone if you want to be a good defensive player. You don't see his 35 foot muffins into the goalie's crest anymore.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
guy is a second line player but I don't think hes the kind of guy that wins at all. Hes an intersting type. He's not a guy you'd want as your ideal #1 or #2 C

Probably worth noting that he's almost 52% on the dot taking the most faceoffs on the Oilers this season.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017

............. no comment.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
I've watched him multiple times, and a significant amount of times over his time in the NHL. Turris has been the better offensive player over the last 3 year and the better player. It's not like RNH development has been linear. So, because he was better at 24, doesn't mean he'll be better than Turris from 25 to 28.

I'll make sure to remember your comments next time you comment on anything Leafs or non-Oilers related.

Please do remember, because its easy to counter you with facts ! Im absolutely sure He will be better the next 3 years but I could be wrong too. Lets revisit this when Hopkins is 28 to see where he stands compared to Turris. The last 3 years Turris has been better of course. He is 28 now. Up to Nuge to show hes a step above Turris. He will.

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-15_9-40-9.png
    upload_2017-11-15_9-40-9.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 5

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Please do remember, because its easy to counter you with facts ! Im absolutely sure He will be better the next 3 years but I could be wrong too. Lets revisit this when Hopkins is 28 to see where he stands compared to Turris. The last 3 years Turris has been better of course. He is 28 now. Up to Nuge to show hes a step above Turris. He will.
Turris has been better for 4 years at least, and arguably since Nuge's rookie season. Nuge has plateaued or even regressed over the years. Pointing to PPG is so simplistic it's ridiculous. Especially since Nugent Hopkins was just handed 20 minutes a game on a terrible team where he racked up stats. I mean, Turris 23-year-old season was notably better than RNH's and fairly comparable 22 year old seasons. Let's see if Turris has a better 24-year-old season than Turris.

Reactions: PunkRockLocke

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Turris has been better for 4 years at least, and arguably since Nuge's rookie season. Nuge has plateaued or even regressed over the years. Pointing to PPG is so simplistic it's ridiculous. Especially since Nugent Hopkins was just handed 20 minutes a game on a terrible team where he racked up stats. I mean, Turris 23-year-old season was notably better than RNH's and fairly comparable 22 year old seasons. Let's see if Turris has a better 24-year-old season than Turris.

Can you please stop. You look desperate right about now. RNH is going to be a better hockey player moving forward. Stop trolling bud.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Can you please stop. You look desperate right about now. RNH is going to be a better hockey player moving forward. Stop trolling bud.
Sorry you have trouble with facts. He was getting 20 minutes a game in 2013-2015 prior to McDavid arriving.

Why was Turris better than RNH at comparable ages according to other metrics such as.

Turris at 23:
Production rate: 31.27
Cf% at 5v5: 52.6%
Cf rel at 5v5: - 1.2%

RNH at 23:
Production rate: 33:44
Cf% at 5v5: 49.3%
Cf rel at 5v5: - .9

Turris at 22:
Production rate: 31.46
Cf% at 5v5: 54.4%
Cf rel at 5v5: .5

RNH at 22
Production rate: 30:50
Cf% at 5v5: 47.9%
Cf rel at 5v5: - 1.1

That looks pretty damn comparable when measured up against RNH last 2 years. Which is way more relevant than data from early on in RNH's career, where RNH got significantly more minutes and opportunity.

King1s

Jan 27, 2015
Edmonton
There are times when I watch him play and think "omg connor is so good" and then I see it is Nuge.

Last edited:
Reactions: McFlash97

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Sorry you have trouble with facts. He was getting 20 minutes a game in 2013-2015 prior to McDavid arriving.

Why was Turris better than RNH at comparable ages according to other metrics such as.

That looks pretty damn comparable when measured up against RNH last 2 years. Which is way more relevant than data from early on in RNH's career, where RNH got significantly more minutes and opportunity.

They're hoping that RNH becomes an elite 2C but are offended when his progression is compared to an established elite 2C that's played as a 1C for the better part of his career and produced/carried a line/been a leader. Head scratcher. But I guess comparing a consistent 8 year career with little talent for winger's ppg (not to mention his first 100 games on the 4th line with PHX) to that of one who's had the likes of Eberle/Hall is reflective of their overall talent.

Last 4 seasons PPG: 0.7, 0.74, 0.62, and 0.52 vs 0.71, 0.53,0.78, and 0.71.
You're telling me if RNH hit those last 4 seasons of Turris' production, based on his current trend, it'd be disappointing?

wait so now that the blanket statement you threw out has been thwarted with actual facts, you resort to the bolded statement above as your counter argument. He is still already a better offensive player then Turris and 4 years younger. Stick to analyzing players you actually watch. It will do you good.

If we're going to go with blanket statements, yours is moreso one. Turris has had a better PPG in 3 of the last 4 seasons compared to RNH. Turris' career high in points: 64; RNH's: 56.

RNH has a great PPG but he's also never sustained it for a full season either. going 0.83 and 0.78 ppg or whatever is nice, but when its over 60-70 games, it's a lot harder to extrapolate his full output potential. This also adds to that Turris is very reliable healthwise. He was our team's ironman for the better part of his stay with us.

PS. the year RNH had a statistically better offensive year than Turris? Two seasons ago when Turris played injured on one leg for the better part of 10 games (obviously scoring a fat 0) until we shut him down for the remainder of the season.

Last edited:
Reactions: PunkRockLocke

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
The Oiler fan formula to success (because I'm sure you have a hive mind like you constantly imply Leaf Nation does :P).
Thread about your own player: If anyone does not praise player attack players on that persons team even though it has nothing to do with thread.

This is of course not insecurity but rather a demonstration of superior hockey knowledge (in that Kindergarten kind of way).

Seriously it is nice to see you guys starting to get the Leaf fan treatment, it was a long time coming. We'll see if you can handle it any better than we do.

Regarding the OP.

He does seem to be playing well this year. I am leery of predicting his point totals though because how much Dra plays 1rst liner winger vs 2nd line C still seems like it is up in the air. Surely he is still young enough to settle in as a 60ish point #2 C but I don't think that will be easy with the Oils current winger situation.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
He's starting to live up to his contract and showing some of the promise he showed in his rookie season.
Seeing how he matches up against the top players in the game, kills penalties, not with mcdavid, and doesn't get top line pp minutes, those are solid numbers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->