Nuclear Effects ...

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Seems like the topic is reemerging. I'm hoping it's a "slow news day" phenomenon, but here we go ...

Submitted: 29 October 2022
Accepted: 05 December 2022
Published Online: 17 January 2023

Nuclear explosion impact on humans indoors

Physics of Fluids 35, 016114 (2023); https://doi.org/10.1063/5.0132565
Ioannis W. Kokkinakis and Dimitris Drikakis

ABSTRACT​

This study investigates the nuclear blast effects on humans inside a building within a moderate damage zone. These effects depend on many parameters that must be better understood. In addition, the nuclear blast effects will spread further away than the devastating destruction zone, where most people are killed instantly. However, these injuries will vary depending on a person's position in the building and the air velocities attained when the blast wave enters indoors. The blast wave effects are examined for an indicative, easily reproducible indoor arrangement. The airspeed behind the blast wave accelerates to even higher velocities in the interior. The supersonic shock waves arising from the blast undergo expansion as they enter a room through an opening leading to channeling effects. The results show that most of the air is directed toward the corridor rather than through the opposite room's door, leading to high airspeed developed in rooms further down the aisle. The airspeed attained in the interior is calculated for two blast wave overpressures, 3 and 5 pounds per square inch, for which most concrete buildings do not collapse. The data reveal that the force applied to a standing person from the speed of the gusts formed at several locations in the interior is equivalent to several g-forces of body mass acceleration capable of lifting and throwing any person off the ground. It is then the impact onto solid surfaces that can lead to severe injury or death. Finally, the results reveal preferential areas in the rooms where a human can avoid the risk of exposure to the highest wind forces. ...

Read the Study Results at: American Institute of Physics | Nuclear explosion impacts on humans indoors

And the shorter version, for main stream media purposes ...

Last edited:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I am not surprised, I have seen more mention of it in my field of work as North Korea and Russia become more belligerent. Not only because of nuclear fear but potential of a breakdown of society as we know it has caused a massive increase in the people getting bunkers installed in the backyards etc. But ya Russia in particular has people worried to a level not since the cold war

• Wow
Reactions: JMCx4

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I am not surprised, I have seen more mention of it in my field of work as North Korea and Russia become more belligerent. Not only because of nuclear fear but potential of a breakdown of society as we know it has caused a massive increase in the people getting bunkers installed in the backyards etc. ...
Anyone who waited this long to start digging missed the transition from "potential" to "clear & present."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad