Pre-Game Talk: Nucks @ Sens: The Return of the Karlsson [CONFIRMED] | 730 Tueday Oct 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

bornNraised Sens

Apr 8, 2014
Question on 11-7.

Something is fishy here. Boucher really does not want to play Brown and this team clearly needs another forward. Is Melnyk being really cheap here and is refusing to pay for another player, or is Dorion just a little lost at sea here?? If the plan is to send Brown back to Windsor, get it over with and call up a forward that Boucher will play.

Send are essentially down two forwards to start the season. Most likely Mac and White were penciled in at some part during the summer to be regular guys this year. Both are out, and if Boucher has more trust in 7 defenders than he does in the 12th forward he's going to play the guys he trusts. Makes it unfortunate and not very good for Brown on a development level being stuck in limbo, but it happens. They need to either give him ice time here or Windsor, can't have him sitting on the sidelines doing nothing.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Send are essentially down two forwards to start the season. Most likely Mac and White were penciled in at some part during the summer to be regular guys this year. Both are out, and if Boucher has more trust in 7 defenders than he does in the 12th forward he's going to play the guys he trusts. Makes it unfortunate and not very good for Brown on a development level being stuck in limbo, but it happens. They need to either give him ice time here or Windsor, can't have him sitting on the sidelines doing nothing.
I had thought that Dorion had stated that there would be no point in keeping rookies up if they were to only play 4 minutes a night or not even play at all.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Though they didn't score, the PP looked pretty lethal in the third with EK atop the umbrella and Hoffman and Turris on either side, so that's a positive I guess.

Shitty game that might have been a lot different if they were able to crack Nilsson early. Kudos to him, he played great.

Reactions: MarkStone

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Though they didn't score, the PP looked pretty lethal in the third with EK atop the umbrella and Hoffman and Turris on either side, so that's a positive I guess.

****ty game that might have been a lot different if they were able to crack Nilsson early. Kudos to him, he played great.

Honestly the PP looked worse, far more predicatable than it did on the road trip. Good pressure sure but not alot of open looks other than Stone double clutching. Karlsson is not moving it fast enough from the top, its not like he cant do it, he can make those adjustments but it was pretty evident that was the difference. Coaching staff will need to make the adjustment.

Reactions: DrEasy

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
The Brown situation will sort itself out, but I'm sure he's just fine with earning $2K per day in the NHL. He's only missed 9 OHL games

JessicaN

Sep 11, 2012
I have some ideas for the powerplay.

We know it has been historically bad for a few years now. Karlsson has to be responsible for some of it, he has been scoring at 5v5 but his powerplay points have been mediocre compared to his peers. He is best at speed and transition, not so great when it comes to quarterbacking the PP. I say we put Karlsson on the side of the net\halfwall, where he scored from during the playoffs last year. He has a good shot and he is crafty so he would be good there. Have anyone of Chabot, Ceci, Hoffman or Wideman be the QB.

We have to address Karlsson's long standing mediocre performance as quarterback of the powerplay

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Honestly the PP looked worse, far more predicatable than it did on the road trip. Good pressure sure but not alot of open looks other than Stone double clutching. Karlsson is not moving it fast enough from the top, its not like he cant do it, he can make those adjustments but it was pretty evident that was the difference. Coaching staff will need to make the adjustment.

I missed the first PP, but the other two generated plenty of chances. We entered the zone well and established control, moved the puck along the perimeter quickly enough to open seems and make passes through the box too. Nothing really to complain about imo. Perhaps you are right that they did a better job on the road trip, but if last night was our PP on an off night, we should be ok in the long run.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

We know it has been historically bad for a few years now. Karlsson has to be responsible for some of it, he has been scoring at 5v5 but his powerplay points have been mediocre compared to his peers. He is best at speed and transition, not so great when it comes to quarterbacking the PP. I say we put Karlsson on the side of the net\halfwall, where he scored from during the playoffs last year. He has a good shot and he is crafty so he would be good there. Have anyone of Chabot, Ceci, Hoffman or Wideman be the QB.

We have to address Karlsson's long standing mediocre performance as quarterback of the powerplay

This is a good idea an umbrella of Brassard Chabot Karlsson in that order would be very effective. with them interchanging and moving switching sides to open up the box.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Anders Nilsson isn't a rookie.

You are correct, was sure I had heard them mention it several times on the radio yesterday but obviously mis-heard.

Boy that in house stand up and cheer to show Amazon how cool Ottawa is thing they did in house last night made me shrink in my seat, pretty embarrassing stuff.

Reactions: DrEasy

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

How can Karlsson be considered mediocre in PPP compared to his peers?

Since 2009-10, he's T-15th in PPP with fewer games played than most of the guys ahead of him.
If we look at it since 2013-14, he's 5th in the league.

How does that kind of production say mediocre to anyone? In both of those timeframes, he's the highest scoring defenseman in terms of PPP and without question the highest scoring defenseman period.

Very confusing statement you made.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

Hoffman is pretty lethal from that spot.

[yt] ubnV9oQ_MN8[/yt]

I like it the way it is. We're getting a ton of zone time. We just need to execute better and crash the net a bit harder. It's only one game. It was lethal last weekend.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
EK didn't appear to have lost any speed. He had 2 high paced rushes up the ice and a number of easy breakouts and takeaways along the boards. On the pp he wasn't afraid to hold his ground at the blue line and controlled the point as well as he has in the past. Considering how rusty he must be those are all good signs.

They changed the practice from on-ice to off-ice this morning. Hope EK has no swelling or soreness this a.m. because he looked close to form for his 1st game this season.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Hey CBC,

Where is our article about Vancouver denying us the chance of having a season with no regulation losses? :laugh:

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
he's soo productive on ES compared to his peers that it's a bit weird he doesn't have the same separation on the PP. But yes, we have to settle for one of the best instead of the best during the PP with Karlsson.

EK didn't appear to have lost any speed.
i guess we'll get a clear idea with more games but he did look pretty good. His strength is there two chucking a few guys.

JessicaN

Sep 11, 2012

Since 2009-10, he's T-15th in PPP with fewer games played than most of the guys ahead of him.
If we look at it since 2013-14, he's 5th in the league.

How does that kind of production say mediocre to anyone? In both of those timeframes, he's the highest scoring defenseman in terms of PPP and without question the highest scoring defenseman period.

Very confusing statement you made.
Strawman argument there as I didn't says he was mediocre in terms of PPP, but mediocre in terms of Power Play points per 60 minutes.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Strawman argument there as I didn't says he was mediocre in terms of PPP, but mediocre in terms of Power Play points per 60 minutes.
i don't think per 60 is necessarily a good measure. He stays longer on power plays so he's pacing himself. Possession suffers because the first face-off and easiest possession represents a smaller portion of his PP. You can see how reliant the Sens are of him on the PP so he's the focal point of the opposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->