NTDP Tryout Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Does anybody have any information about who will and will not be invited/attending? Is Matt Smyth going to attend or is it a certainty that he will go the OHL route? Apparently Tristan Llewellyn was recently injured but I've also heard that he is planning to stay in the USHL regardless. Any truth to that?

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
cagney said:
Does anybody have any information about who will and will not be invited/attending? Is Matt Smyth going to attend or is it a certainty that he will go the OHL route? Apparently Tristan Llewellyn was recently injured but I've also heard that he is planning to stay in the USHL regardless. Any truth to that?

My friends in the GTHL say Smyth will be in Ann Arbor this weekend for sure. They are not sure, but speculate, that Justin Vaive will be there as well.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Juan said:
My friends in the GTHL say Smyth will be in Ann Arbor this weekend for sure. They are not sure, but speculate, that Justin Vaive will be there as well.

I remember that Vaive played at the US select festival last summer and did pretty well. How has he looked this year? I know he's on a stacked Marlies team but that's about it.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
cagney said:
I remember that Vaive played at the US select festival last summer and did pretty well. How has he looked this year? I know he's on a stacked Marlies team but that's about it.

I don't know how well he did at the Festival, as he had 1 goal and 2 points in 6 games.

Right now, he is a big, powerful, nasty player with a pretty good forward stride, OK (not great) agility and quickness and pretty soft hands for a big guy.

Were it not for his size and bloodlines-related upside, I would characterize his skills as those of a slightly better-than-average minor midget AAA player. Sort of reminds me of Mike Rupp (with lesser skating) at the same age.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
How good is he? I heard he plays like his old man, but not much else.

I will try to be kind... he is not very good.

If his name were Dayn Smith, he would not have been the starter on any of the top 5 teams in the GTHL.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Juan said:
I will try to be kind... he is not very good.

If his name were Dayn Smith, he would not have been the starter on any of the top 5 teams in the GTHL.

Yeah, you'd think he'd get more pub if he was actually good. Another Wyatt Russell?

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
Rabid Ranger said:
Yeah, you'd think he'd get more pub if he was actually good. Another Wyatt Russell?

While the stats aren't hot... Wyatt was back-up in Coquitlam (BCHL) this year and had better numbers then the starter (4.02 GAA and 87.92 save %)

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
I feel like bringing some more to the table to discuss...

From what I know forward Matt Rust from Honeybaked (Midget Major) and d-man Ian Cole from Victory Honda (Midget Major) have both accepted invitations to the program. Both seem to be very good players.

I also know that d-man Nick Petrecki from the Capital District Selects (EJHL Jr.B) has visited the program and most likely was already offered a spot. He seems to be a big, tough, stay-at-home type but he has put up decent numbers as well.

Forward Ryan Hayes and d-man Colby Cohen, both from the Syracuse Stars (OPJHL Jr.A), seem like good bets to get invites to the program. Hayes averged over a point-per-game which is very good for his age and Cohen had solid numbers, a good amount of PIMs and is already 6'2".

Forward Drayson Bowman played with the Kimberly Dynamiters (KIJHL Jr.B) where he put up decent numbers. He was taken high in the WHL draft last year and I believe he's already signed and played with the Spokane Chiefs this year. That makes it very unlikely that he will go the NTDP route.

Minnesota High School has a number of guys who seemed to have impressive years. D-man Cade Fairchild from Duluth-East put up very good numbers and I've heard that the NTDP is quite interested in him. D-man Nick Jaskowiak from Benilde and forwards Adam Estoclet and Nico Sachetti from Orono and Virginia respectivly also seem to have done quite well. The first two I've known of for a while but Sachetti is a player I hadn't heard too much about. He was second only to d-man Matt Niskanen, a Mr. Hockey candidate, in scoring for his team which is very good. One site that I don't fully trust says he turned down an invite to the tryout. Anyone know anything else about him?

Goalie Andrew Margolin put up very good numbers for Taft in the New England Div.1 prep leagues (93% Save Percentage) and that must be enough to get him some attention. I remember hearing somewhere that he was quite small but that was a while ago so I'm not sure now.

D-man Kevin Shattenkirk played for Brunswick in Div.2 prep and supposedly was very good. I haven't heard too much beyond that about him.

Are there any underage ('90) players that the program is looking at? The only guys I've heard about in that age group are forward Jordan Schroeder from St. Thomas (Minn.HS) and d-man Brett Kostolansky from Shattuck-St. Mary's Bantam Tier 1 squad. Schroeder might be too small to join as an underager and I don't know if Kostolansky has played against strong enough competition to be considered.

Anyone have any thoughts?

John E. Ringo

Aug 18, 2003
Visit site
cagney said:
I feel like bringing some more to the table to discuss...

From what I know forward Matt Rust from Honeybaked (Midget Major) and d-man Ian Cole from Victory Honda (Midget Major) have both accepted invitations to the program. Both seem to be very good players.

I also know that d-man Nick Petrecki from the Capital District Selects (EJHL Jr.B) has visited the program and most likely was already offered a spot. He seems to be a big, tough, stay-at-home type but he has put up decent numbers as well.

Forward Ryan Hayes and d-man Colby Cohen, both from the Syracuse Stars (OPJHL Jr.A), seem like good bets to get invites to the program. Hayes averged over a point-per-game which is very good for his age and Cohen had solid numbers, a good amount of PIMs and is already 6'2".

Forward Drayson Bowman played with the Kimberly Dynamiters (KIJHL Jr.B) where he put up decent numbers. He was taken high in the WHL draft last year and I believe he's already signed and played with the Spokane Chiefs this year. That makes it very unlikely that he will go the NTDP route.

Minnesota High School has a number of guys who seemed to have impressive years. D-man Cade Fairchild from Duluth-East put up very good numbers and I've heard that the NTDP is quite interested in him. D-man Nick Jaskowiak from Benilde and forwards Adam Estoclet and Nico Sachetti from Orono and Virginia respectivly also seem to have done quite well. The first two I've known of for a while but Sachetti is a player I hadn't heard too much about. He was second only to d-man Matt Niskanen, a Mr. Hockey candidate, in scoring for his team which is very good. One site that I don't fully trust says he turned down an invite to the tryout. Anyone know anything else about him?

Goalie Andrew Margolin put up very good numbers for Taft in the New England Div.1 prep leagues (93% Save Percentage) and that must be enough to get him some attention. I remember hearing somewhere that he was quite small but that was a while ago so I'm not sure now.

D-man Kevin Shattenkirk played for Brunswick in Div.2 prep and supposedly was very good. I haven't heard too much beyond that about him.

Are there any underage ('90) players that the program is looking at? The only guys I've heard about in that age group are forward Jordan Schroeder from St. Thomas (Minn.HS) and d-man Brett Kostolansky from Shattuck-St. Mary's Bantam Tier 1 squad. Schroeder might be too small to join as an underager and I don't know if Kostolansky has played against strong enough competition to be considered.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Bowman, Jaskowiac, Estoclet, Sachetti, Margolin and all 90s did not get invites to this camp. Bowman is indeed signed to the WHL, as is Dwight King (mentioned earlier).

Some like Ryan Hayes and Colby Cohen alot, though I am not one of them.

There will be spots available for others in the summer. They will not name the entire U-17 squad out of this camp. I would expect at least one goaltending spot left open until after the Select 16 Festival.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
John E. Ringo said:
Bowman, Jaskowiac, Estoclet, Sachetti, Margolin and all 90s did not get invites to this camp. Bowman is indeed signed to the WHL, as is Dwight King (mentioned earlier).

Any reasons why? I know stats can be misleading but from what they did they seem like they would at least be worth a look. Are there any glaring omissions from this thread that are good bets to make the NTDP squad?

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
Schlep Rock said:
While the stats aren't hot... Wyatt was back-up in Coquitlam (BCHL) this year and had better numbers then the starter (4.02 GAA and 87.92 save %)
Wyatt is a terrible goaltender. Plain and simple.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Here's the actual list of invites...

Goaltenders (6):

Dayn Belfour – Streetsville Derbys (OPJHL)
Reid Ellingson – Cloquet HS (Minn.)
Mike Moser – LA Jr. Kings
Kent Patterson – Blake HS (Minn.)
Brad Phillips – Honeybaked Midget Minor
John Yanchek – New Jersey Jr. Devils

Defensemen (14):

Colby Cohen – Syracuse Jr. A (OPJHL)
Ian Cole – Detroit Victory Honda Midget AAA
Tommy Cross – Simsbury HS (Conn.)
Cade Fairchild – Duluth East HS (Minn.)
Frank Grzeszczak – Detroit Honeybaked Midget AAA
David Kolomatis – New Jersey Rockets (AJHL)
Joey Lavin – Boston Junior Bruins Midget AAA
Tristan Llewellyn – Indiana Ice (USHL) -- injured
Derrick Pallis – Noble & Greenough
Nick Petrecki – Capital District Selects (EJHL)
Ben Rosen – Suffolk PAL
Ted Ruth – Chicago Mission Midget AAA
Kevin Shattenkirk – Brunswick School
Charles Vaughn -- Honeybaked Midget Minor

Forwards (23):

John Albert – Cleveland Barons Midget AAA
Mike Cieslak – McQuaid Jesuit HS (NY)
Jack Downing – Taft
Dan Durham – Team Illinois Midget AAA
Josh Franklin – Noble & Greenough
Andrew Glass -- Noble & Greenough
Jimmy Hayes -- Noble & Greenough
Ryan Hayes -- Syracuse Jr. A (OPJHL)
Mike Hoeffel – Hill-Murray HS (Minn.)
Ansel Ivens-Anderson – Brewster Bulldogs (Empire Jr. B)
Patrick Johnson – Madison Memorial HS (Wisc.)
Anthony Maiani -- Honeybaked Midget Minor
Nick Palmieri – Northwood School
Matt Rust -- Detroit Honeybaked Midget AAA
Ryan Schnell – Team Illinois Midget AAA
C.J. Severyn – Pittsburgh Hornets Midget Minor
Jason Silvia – St. John’s Prep (Mass.)
Daniel Smith – Phoenix Firebirds Midget AAA
Matt Smyth – Markham Islanders Midget Minor
Justin Vaive – Toronto Marlies Midget Minor
James Van Riemsdyk – Christian Brothers Academy (NJ)
Brennan Vargas – Coon Rapids HS (Minn.)
Patrick White – Grand Rapids HS (Minn.)

and the schedule...

Sunday, March 20, 2005:
11:55am – 12:55 pm Red Team Practice
1:05pm – 2:05 pm Blue Team Practice
7:45 pm -- 9:35 pm Scrimmage

Monday, March 21, 2005:
8:00 am – 8:50 am Goaltender Practice
9:00 – 9:50 am Red Team Practice
10:00 am – 10:50 am Blue Team Practice
2:30 pm – 4:20pm Scrimmage

Tuesday, March 22, 2005:
9:00 am Goaltender Practice
10:00 -- 11:50 am Scrimmage
2:00 -- 3:20 pm Scrimmage

Anybody planning to attend?

Who should be there and isn't? Who is there and shouldn't be? Who are the top players?

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
I hear there are five 88's that are trying out for one forward spot on the U18 team for next season.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
bigd said:
I hear there are five 88's that are trying out for one forward spot on the U18 team for next season.

Who would they be replacing? Sperry?

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
They are replacing Fardig. He is off to Michigan next season.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Fedz said:
Has there every been any canadians go through the program?

They've taken a number of dual-citizens over the years. Right now Jason Bailey is playing for the U18 team and he was born and raised in Ontario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->