NTDP Off Season Thread

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
They haven't released the dates of the smaller tournaments like the U18 five nations have they?

During the USA - Finland game today they did announce that the U18 Five Nations tourney would be at USA Hockey Arena in February, but no date was given.

It was nice seeing Mike Vellucci at the arena today. The former coach/gm/team president of the Plymouth Whalers is always a welcome sight here.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
The NTDP released the 2017-2018 season schedule yesterday. Individual tickets will be on sale starting Aug. 21. Both squads start up in an exhibition game against Aston of the NAHL. They should dominate that game, then the U18's play in the USHL Fall Classic in Pittsburgh at the Penguins practice facility. I was there to watch the U16//U18 youth nationals and that is a tremendous facility. That will be Sept. 30-Oct. 1. The U17 team will open up USHL play on Oct. 7 when it goes to Chicago to play the Steel.

As far as international games go both teams will play in 3 of them. The fresh faced U17's will head to Dawson Creek and Fort Saint John B.C. to play in the World U17 Hockey Challenge. This is imo the biggest tournament that they play in and they get it going early in the year in November. I say it's the biggest because they play against Canada as well as some of the best players from Russia, Finland, and Sweden. Some of the best will be there. In mid December the U17's then go to Russia to play in the U17 Four Nations Tournament. Then it's the U17 Five Nations tournament in Finland. The U18's in November travel to Finland for the Five Nations Tournament, then there is a second U18 five nations in Plymouth at USA Hockey Arena. Then in April it's obviously the IIHF World U-18 tournament.

Both teams play a big chunk of games against USHL teams throughout the year, however the U17's schedule is more loaded with that while the U-18's play 14 games against College teams with 11 of them being division 1. Some headlining teams coming to USA Hockey Arena is Michigan St and the return of Danton Cole, the Miami Redhawks, and Ferris State which has been an up and coming program. Other notable college teams are some of the best of the best like BU, North Dakota, Michigan, Harvard, and Notre Dame.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Thanks for posting the schedule details, NTDP. It appears they were not able to work out a home game with the University of Michigan -- that was what was holding up the completion of the schedule.

There was quite a crowd for the USA - Canada game on Saturday. I did not see an attendance announcement, but I would guess there were more than 2,500 people. Everyone got to see a good game, too.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
YouTube Video

Made a little video talking about USA Hockey's National Team Development Program. Just did it for fun, maybe I'll make a few more as the season gets near and some reviews throughout parts of the season. We'll see with how busy work gets.

https://youtu.be/ZmT0zPxkAu4

Quick Note: Forgot to mention the U-18's also play in three international tournaments with the biggest being the IIHF U-18 Worlds in April. Don't know how I didn't mention that.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Made a little video talking about USA Hockey's National Team Development Program. Just did it for fun, maybe I'll make a few more as the season gets near and some reviews throughout parts of the season. We'll see with how busy work gets.

https://youtu.be/ZmT0zPxkAu4

Quick Note: Forgot to mention the U-18's also play in three international tournaments with the biggest being the IIHF U-18 Worlds in April. Don't know how I didn't mention that.

Nice job. It's impressive that you could provide so much background on individual players and where they played without using any notes. If you decide to do another one, maybe focus on the players from this year's teams?

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Nice job. It's impressive that you could provide so much background on individual players and where they played without using any notes. If you decide to do another one, maybe focus on the players from this year's teams?

Thanks Whalers Fan, appreciate it! Yeah I planned on doing a follow up on the group this year. Then maybe do a video every few weeks talking about some games and opinions on some players as it goes on. Maybe get into some CHL talk too. I appreciate the feedback

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Watched the first video on the U18 team. Lots of good information there. Your NTDP emblem is backwards, though. :sarcasm:

I think the goalie situation will be interesting for the U18s this season. Karki showed me a lot last year, but both goalies disappeared from the team for a stretch of games in the 2nd half of the season (rumors were due to academic issues). Hopefully they've matured some and have learned their lesson.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of Joel Farabee this season. He really came on late, and played very well after getting promoted to the U18 team for the last several games before the U18 Worlds.

monix11

Jun 21, 2017
Watched the first video on the U18 team. Lots of good information there. Your NTDP emblem is backwards, though. :sarcasm:

I think the goalie situation will be interesting for the U18s this season. Karki showed me a lot last year, but both goalies disappeared from the team for a stretch of games in the 2nd half of the season (rumors were due to academic issues). Hopefully they've matured some and have learned their lesson.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of Joel Farabee this season. He really came on late, and played very well after getting promoted to the U18 team for the last several games before the U18 Worlds.

Both Karki and Ullan are no longer with the program.

Drew DeRidder and Jon Mor are the new goalies.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH

Haha the emblem looks that way but it's not:laugh:

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Both Karki and Ullan are no longer with the program.

Drew DeRidder and Jon Mor are the new goalies.

Thanks for the update. I wondered if either would be back. One of them ended up back in uniform on the bench at the end of last season (can't remember which one), but never got into a game. The other wasn't in uniform at all -- at least at the home games.

Drew DeRidder played a spectacular game versus the NTDP last season with Cedar Rapids of the USHL, so he should be fun to watch.

Last edited:

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Received an email yesterday from the NTDP. The University of Michigan has been added to the home schedule for Saturday, December 2nd. So, the NCAA home schedule for this season is Michigan, Michigan State, Miami University, Adrian College, Ferris State, and Utica College. I received another email today stating they are selling a "college ticket package" for all those games for $60.

2017-18 USA Hockey Arena Home Schedule

Friday, Oct. 13 Miami University (OH) U18s 7:05 p.m.
Saturday, Oct. 21 Green Bay Gamblers U17s 7:05 p.m.
Sunday, Oct. 22 Green Bay Gamblers U17s 2:05 p.m.
Friday, Oct. 27 Cedar Rapids RoughRiders U18s 7:05 p.m.
Saturday, Oct. 28 Cedar Rapids RoughRiders U17s 7:05 p.m.
Friday, Nov. 3 Youngstown Phantoms U18s 7:05 p.m.
Friday, Nov. 17 Chicago Steel U17s 7:05 p.m.
Saturday, Nov. 18 Central Illinois Flying Aces U18s 7:05 p.m.
Wednesday, Nov. 22 Adrian College U18s 7:05 p.m.
Thursday, Nov. 30 Fargo Force U17s 7:05 p.m.
Friday, Dec. 1 Fargo Force U18s 7:05 p.m.
Saturday, Dec. 2 University of Michigan U18s 7:05 p.m.
Saturday, Dec. 9 Central Illinois Flying Aces U18s 7:05 p.m.
Saturday, Dec. 16 Michigan State University U18s 7:05 p.m.
Tuesday, Dec. 19 Muskegon Lumberjacks U18s 10:35 a.m.
Saturday, Dec. 30 Youngstown Phantoms U17s 7:05 p.m.
Tuesday, Jan. 2 Ferris State University U18s 7:05 p.m.
Sunday, Jan. 7 Utica College U18s 2:05 p.m.
Friday, Jan. 12 Sioux City Musketeers U18s 7:05 p.m.
Saturday, Jan. 13 Sioux City Musketeers U18s 7:05 p.m.
Monday, Jan. 15 Muskegon Lumberjacks U17s 2:05 p.m.
Saturday, Jan. 20 Sioux Falls Stampede U17s 7:05 p.m.
Friday, Jan. 26 Dubuque Fighting Saints U17s 7:05 p.m.
Friday, Feb. 2 Lincoln Stars U17s 7:05 p.m.
Saturday, Feb. 3 Lincoln Stars U17s 7:05 p.m.
Friday, Feb. 23 Central Illinois Flying Aces U18s 7:05 p.m.
Saturday, Feb. 24 Central Illinois Flying Aces U17s 7:05 p.m.
Sunday, Feb. 25 Youngstown Phantoms U18s 2:05 p.m.
Saturday, Mar. 3 Omaha Lancers U17s 7:05 p.m.
Sunday, Mar. 4 Muskegon Lumberjacks U17s 2:05 p.m.
Thursday, Mar. 15 Madison Capitols U18s 7:05 p.m.
Friday, Mar. 16 Madison Capitols U18s 7:05 p.m.
Friday, Mar. 23 Chicago Steel U18s 7:05 p.m.
Saturday, Mar. 24 Chicago Steel U18s 7:05 p.m.
Friday, Mar. 30 Youngstown Phantoms U18s 7:05 p.m.
Friday, April 13 Muskegon Lumberjacks U17s 7:05 p.m.

Firecracker

Jul 3, 2015
10 minutes in his first game with the u17s and Boldy has 3 points against the Minnesota Wilderness (NAHL)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad