NSH - COL Third Period - Best so far?

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
If this is a good goal, I wonder why there is some rule that wouldn’t allow the goal whether it’s kicked in or not. It was really confusing IMO he didn’t kicked the puck but clearly intentionally put his skate in angle to score, isn’t that some sort of kicking?
It isn't.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
They should judge on what happened. It' pretty clear that his leg swings forward and into the oncoming puck. Its clear that Boninos right leg is way farther out front than his left leg without actually taking a stride. It's also clear that for this to happen, bonino has to lift his right skate off the ice. Add these things up and it is a kicking motion resulting in a goal.
Colorado was down 3-1 in series and in a 0-0 game at the time. The problem with the call is that at very best it was a 50/50 play (if I'm generous) and the NHL was willing to kill Colorado's season over the call.
The call was right. And it's not that hard to see why.

Signed,

An Avs fan

Reactions: The Kingslayer

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
I think the best periods of playoff hockey were the 3rd period and both OT's in Knights/Kings game 2

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
How about the play by play on the 2-1 goal from the Avalanche radio play-by-play commentator Marc Mose:

He's had some dandy playoff calls (Dan Boyle own goal, PA Parenteau's game 5 2014 game tying goal), but..... this might be his best.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
The call was right. And it's not that hard to see why.

Signed,

An Avs fan
The call was fine because the other one sitting on Rinne's leg could have gone either way also. So each team has gotten a bit of a lucky bounce on that front.

I still think the Preds have been getting away with an awful lot of "questionable" calls though - so if anything, I'd like to see that get evened up. But overall its been fair.

The series is easily the best of the first round series' though. Even as a biased fan of one of the teams its clear. At the very least its the most competitive and closest series. The rest seem one sided.

Reactions: MacBradley

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Yall do know they changed the rule on kicking a puck in right? We've seen it several times this year and unless the leg clearly makes a kicking motion like you would a soccer ball they have called it a good goal all season.

Bonino strides forward to try and stop the puck with his skate, this is true. However you can tell by the position of his leg, skate and stick that he strode forward to stop the puck, it takes a wild bounce and in. This why the room overturned it as there was no evidence that an actual kicking motion occurred.

Your leg and foot can move, you just can't swing it towards the net like you would kicking a ball. Oddly enough it's one of the few things they seem to have some consistency on in our games through the season.

Personally I hated the entire game, but there is a reason for that.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Yall do know they changed the rule on kicking a puck in right? We've seen it several times this year and unless the leg clearly makes a kicking motion like you would a soccer ball they have called it a good goal all season.

Bonino strides forward to try and stop the puck with his skate, this is true. However you can tell by the position of his leg, skate and stick that he strode forward to stop the puck, it takes a wild bounce and in. This why the room overturned it as there was no evidence that an actual kicking motion occurred.

Your leg and foot can move, you just can't swing it towards the net like you would kicking a ball. Oddly enough it's one of the few things they seem to have some consistency on in our games through the season.

Personally I hated the entire game, but there is a reason for that.
I had no issue with it counting. Neither did Ivan. Neither did Bednar.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
I had no issue with it counting. Neither did Ivan. Neither did Bednar.
Hey! I said it was OK too.

Leaving me out :(

Also - all Avs fans are okay with it because of how the game turned out. That's just the way human psyche works.

If we had lost, then it's hard to say we'd all be feeling the same way

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Hey! I said it was OK too.

Leaving me out :(

Also - all Avs fans are okay with it because of how the game turned out. That's just the way human psyche works.

If we had lost, then it's hard to say we'd all be feeling the same way
Not true. I was ok with it when I saw the replay. I did want the NHL to mess the call up ofcourse but when it counted I said yah it should. If we had lost I would have blamed it on us not being able to score on Rinne haha but alas Mackinnon went to work right after and Ghetto won it.

Reactions: cgf

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
They should judge on what happened. It' pretty clear that his leg swings forward and into the oncoming puck. Its clear that Boninos right leg is way farther out front than his left leg without actually taking a stride. It's also clear that for this to happen, bonino has to lift his right skate off the ice. Add these things up and it is a kicking motion resulting in a goal.
Colorado was down 3-1 in series and in a 0-0 game at the time. The problem with the call is that at very best it was a 50/50 play (if I'm generous) and the NHL was willing to kill Colorado's season over the call.

Wait... regardless of which way the call went, are you actually saying you want the NHL to base their decision making regarding controversial calls on who's up or down in a series??

The Avs being on the brink of elimination should have NO bearing on any decision making from the NHL, come on man. Luckily in this case, they got the call correct, imo. I think you need to refresh your understanding of the kicking rule.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
Wow. No. Payers use their skates to redirect the puck all the time, and if it goes into the net as a result of that, it's a good goal. Only forward motion happening was his momentum. Does his skate blade EVER leave the ice surface? What kind of kicking do you do?

I think the point is the result is the same so why is one method illegal and the other not? Seems like another case where the league makes something more difficult than it has to be. It’s like the NFL and their catch interpretations. We all know when a WR catches a pass, just like we all know when a hockey player deliberately uses their feet to score a goal.

Reactions: AMDZen and Spilot23

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I think the point is the result is the same so why is one method illegal and the other not? Seems like another case where the league makes something more difficult than it has to be. It’s like the NFL and their catch interpretations. We all know when a WR catches a pass, just like we all know when a hockey player deliberately uses their feet to score a goal.
It's really not difficult since the league changed the rule. They have moved to if it is not a soccer style kick it is a good goal. Since the rule change purposely using your skate to score a goal is not illegal. You can turn it and deflect it in, you just can't kick at it.

For instance I called that it would be ruled good just as soon as I saw the replay, it was that easy.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
Great comparison

Especially since it's not like either league is consistent either way.

So in both cases, the league only makes it harder for the refs to make the right decision. There is a reason this goal was waved off right away.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
It's really not difficult since the league changed the rule. They have moved to if it is not a soccer style kick it is a good goal. Since the rule change purposely using your skate to score a goal is not illegal. You can turn it and deflect it in, you just can't kick at it.

For instance I called that it would be ruled good just as soon as I saw the replay, it was that easy.

Yeah but it’s pointless to differentiate the two, imo. What are they trying to solve by making one legal and the other not, especially when it’s a lot easier to score with your feet the legal way than with a kicking motion.

At least when it comes to the hands, making a closed hand on the puck illegal but not an open hand, makes some sense. If you were allowed to hold on to a puck the game would look more like lacrosse making the use of a stick pointless. If kicking was allowed to score goals the game would not turn into soccer. If that was the case it would have happened already since the league allows kicked passes.

Anyway, it’s just odd there is even a rule for this when there doesn’t appear to be a problem to fix.

Reactions: AMDZen

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
Wait... regardless of which way the call went, are you actually saying you want the NHL to base their decision making regarding controversial calls on who's up or down in a series??

The Avs being on the brink of elimination should have NO bearing on any decision making from the NHL, come on man. Luckily in this case, they got the call correct, imo. I think you need to refresh your understanding of the kicking rule.
Wait. No I didn' say that at all. Learn to read before responding

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad