Now that Washington won a Stanley Cup how do you view them trading Filip Forsberg?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I think a lot of people are in agreement that when Washington traded Filip Forsberg for Martin Erat it was one of the worst trades of all time. However now that they just won a Stanley Cup will this trade no longer need to be brought up or should it still get mentioned when it comes to all time bad NHL trades?

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
Still a very bad deal, but GMGM got Karma. And sadly for Knights fans, it struck Vegas down at the worse time with McPhee's old team. He did that move to save his ***. It got him one more year. And in his his exit interview he was asked can this team win the cup. He said no. What do you think now George?!?!

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
I think a lot of people are in agreement that when Washington traded Filip Forsberg for Martin Erat it was one of the worst trades of all time. However now that they just won a Stanley Cup will this trade no longer need to be brought up or should it still get mentioned when it comes to all time bad NHL trades?

How in the world does winning a Stanley Cup five years later absolve the Washington Capitals from making bad trades in 2013?

The thesis of this thread is exceptionally dubious.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
If Forsberg doesn't get traded, the Caps don't go out and get Oshie.

If the Caps don't get multi-tool, gritty, 2-way Stanley Cup hero TJ Oshie, the Caps are stuck with a one-dimensional shooter like Forsberg (a type of player they already have a lot of)....and the Caps don't win the Cup.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
How in the world does winning a Stanley Cup five years later absolve the Washington Capitals from making bad trades in 2013?

The thesis of this thread is exceptionally dubious.
If Nashville had won the Cup last year you don't think some people might have brought up the trade?

My thinking was since this trade was talked about a lot at how bad it was for Washington, now that they finally won a Stanley Cup if others will no longer mention that?

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
If Nashville had won the Cup last year you don't think some people might have brought up the trade?

My thinking was since this trade was talked about a lot at how bad it was for Washington, now that they finally won a Stanley Cup if others will no longer mention that?
It's still a bad trade even if they win 10 Cups in a row and it would still be talked about.

Reactions: pezpunk

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
If Forsberg doesn't get traded, the Caps don't go out and get Oshie.

If the Caps don't get multi-tool, gritty, 2-way Stanley Cup hero TJ Oshie, the Caps are stuck with a one-dimensional shooter like Forsberg (a type of player they already have a lot of)....and the Caps don't win the Cup.
Forsberg a one-dimensional shooter? Have you even seen the guy play? Forsberg is a very good two-way player and forces alot of turnovers for the opponents. Semin for example was a one-dimensional shooter. Forsberg is not. He also has some pretty sick dekes and puck skills.

If Washington would've kept Forsberg, they probably would've won sooner and be an even better team.

Last edited:

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005

So your question is whether or not people will mention it, and you set about finding this out by starting a thread to specifically mention the trade?

Brilliant strategy.

pezpunk

May 3, 2013
it was one of the worst trades in NHL history, and it remains so. the intended strategic benefit from that trade had zero positive impact on the Caps organization.

winning a cup several years later due to entirely unintended consequences does not make that idiotic trade any better.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
So your question is whether or not people will mention it, and you set about finding this out by starting a thread to specifically mention the trade?

Brilliant strategy.
I can see why you would say it like that, however my focus was more on the positive that Washington has won a Stanley Cup. I didn't say anything like they didn't deserve to win because they traded away Forsberg.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
worst thread ever?

Pittsburgh traded markus naslund for stojanov in 1996. So when Pittsburgh won the cup in 2009, it will suddenly a good trade? same logic applies.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
The most positive spin I do is that they couldn't have reached the mountaintop if they didn't fire McPhee and they weren't going to fire him unless he made a really bad move, plus he empowered Vegas to give the Caps a favorable finals matchup.

Reactions: JenniferH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad