Now that I've seen the game ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Today I was finally able to see the Russia - USA semifinal, and I honestly don't understand what everyone has been talking about here after the game. What's with all that taunting???

I just saw an American team that started to play dirty in the 3rd, and instead of retaliating physically, Ovechkin and Malkin decided to provoke the Americans. And of course, as the Americans were loosing, the frustration took over and they began taking cheap and dirty shots at the Russians. The Russians just responded to that, but in a classy way (no hits, no slashes).

I also wonder why O'Sullivan wasn't disqualified from the game ... that slash on Yemelin was really dangerous. I remember something similar though unintenional from Sergei Fedorov against Zdeno Chara, and he was suspended for 5 games in the NHL. And O'Sullivan? Nothing ...

And Callahan ... I won't comment his penalty because he doesn't deserve any attention. :madfire:

Last edited:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
honestly it's a really stupid thing to taunt people if they're already playing dirty...that's just gonna make them more pissed off and more likely to do something to really hurt you

and callahan's hit came after the taunting by ovechkin and malkin...kinda helps support my point. i think it's a lot less likely a hit like that is thrown if the russian players aren't running around taunting the losing team after scoring empty net goals. i wouldn't exactly call all that classy...

Evman*

Some people were saying the other day the slash by O'Sullivan was definitely accidental.

I'm sorry, I don't like the Russians at all, but that was NOT accidental. I don't know how anyone can say it was. He should have gotten five and a game.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I saw the game last night and there was plenty of dirtyness from the US team before the taunting.. I'm just glad the Russians didn't start throwing sticks up people's mouths in response to O'Sullivan..

but whatever, it's over now, let's look ahead to the final and forget that crap, I'm sick of arguing about it.. it's not like any of us is going to convince anyone else anyways..

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
nikrag03 said:
so why were they taunting the fans and diving?

I'm guessing that Shirokov and Ovechkin taunted the fans because they probably took a lot of **** from the all night long..

can't advocate the diving, I think it's horrible.. not all of it was dives though.. Russian players were bleeding on at least 2 of those occasions that were called diving by TSN..

eSabre

Dec 14, 2002
Nashville, TN
3rdmanin.wordpress.com
ESPN had a camera on the benches near the end of the game. If there's such thing as being a bad winner, that Russian team was it. Even the coaches were taunting the US team.

Pathetic.

Russia deserved to win that game, but they showed absolutely no class in doing it.

kov

Jul 5, 2002
NYC
wilka91 said:
I just saw an American team that started to play dirty in the 3rd, and instead of retaliating physically, Ovechkin and Malkin decided to provoke the Americans. And of course, as the Americans were loosing, the frustration took over and they began taking cheap and dirty shots at the Russians. The Russians just responded to that, but in a classy way (no hits, no slashes).

Perhaps it would help if you understood that for the majority of North American hockey fans, "classy" means taking violent penalties and fighting; whereas "classless" means *not* taking violent penalties and fighting.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
i don't get the defense of "they taunted the fans cuz they were getting crap from the fans"

you think the russians are the only ones who have taken crap from the fans before? hell, how are they going to handle the NHL when they have to go into rival arenas and deal with a huge majority of the other teams fans calling for their heads.

lots of countries and players have had to deal with hecklers...there's nothing unique about this and i doubt they got it any worse than other teams have (either this tournament or in the past). IMO, the taunting is just indicative of the character of the players, it's not justified by what *might* have taken place in regards to fans, etc

cstu

May 6, 2004
MOGiLNY said:
I'm guessing that Shirokov and Ovechkin taunted the fans because they probably took a lot of **** from the all night long..

Yeah, you're right. It's not like Shirokov has done anything like that before......oh, wait, he has on more than one occasion.

Maybe he did take crap from the fans all night long, but if he keeps pulling stuff like this, one day, someone on the other team is going to take offense and pound him. Not saying it would be the right thing for them to do, but it's only a matter of time if he keeps showboating like that.

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
Levitate said:
i don't get the defense of "they taunted the fans cuz they were getting crap from the fans"

you think the russians are the only ones who have taken crap from the fans before? hell, how are they going to handle the NHL when they have to go into rival arenas and deal with a huge majority of the other teams fans calling for their heads.

lots of countries and players have had to deal with hecklers...there's nothing unique about this and i doubt they got it any worse than other teams have (either this tournament or in the past). IMO, the taunting is just indicative of the character of the players, it's not justified by what *might* have taken place in regards to fans, etc

you just dont stop ? do you :shakehead

oilers_guy_eddie

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!?
Feb 27, 2002
This is Oil Country!
Visit site
As was pointed out by McGuire, when Hollywood Shirokov does the Ribiero thing TWICE in a game, it becomes very hard to take it seriously the next time you see a player on the ice. It really is the story of the boy who cried wolf.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
as I said before, Russia has won every one of it's games by a big score, and this was the only time that they did any taunting.. but no, the US was innocent, it's all the bad winners Russians who are just evil and like to make american boys cry.

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
Didn't seem like it got all that dirty to me. Chippy, I'd call it.

Taunting schmaunting.. big deal. Tough teams play through the garbage.

Russia held the lead and took advantage of their open net opportunities. End of story, IMO.

Good luck against the Canadians... they'll need it. :)

May 10, 2004
Ceber, you took the words right out of my mouth.
What's the big deal? It was a chippy game that involved taunting. And I hope Ovechkin brings this kind of game into the NHL. Chad Johnson certainly makes NFL celebration very enjoyable. I love Satan's celebrations, maybe Ovechkin can spice things up too.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
nope i don't stop :D

i don't think it's right to try to explain away the taunting and make the russians out to be angels

i don't agree with the US getting dirty and throwing cheap hits, etc either...it's not good sportsmanship to do that stuff either...but i stand by my opinion that taunting just made the situation even worse and isn't any more justified than cheap hits

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
cds said:
Yeah, you're right. It's not like Shirokov has done anything like that before......oh, wait, he has on more than one occasion.

Maybe he did take crap from the fans all night long, but if he keeps pulling stuff like this, one day, someone on the other team is going to take offense and pound him. Not saying it would be the right thing for them to do, but it's only a matter of time if he keeps showboating like that.

One player keeps doing worse things even after that series with Wilds. He ******* fans, ******* players, now he breaks players and he is still a live. It doesn't seem that it's only matter of time.

Last edited by a moderator:

cstu

May 6, 2004
Kaizer said:
One player keeps doing the same staff even after that series with Wilds. He f**cked fans, f**cked players, now he brakes players and he is still a live. It doesn't seem that it's only matter of time.

True, but the consequences for fighting in this tourney are more severe than those in a regular league. I didn't mean that anything would happen to him in the WJC's, because it probably won't. But if he tries showing up the other team and their fans like that in the AHL or the NHL, he is going to make himself a target for every team he plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad