Now HERE is something interesting about the Preds ...

GSC2k2*

I was musing on the commute home tonight how people are speaking with such conviction and expertise about Balsillie's alleged desire to move the team, despite one point:

HE ACTUALLY HAS NOT SAID ONE WORD ABOUT WANTING TO ACTUALLY MOVE THE TEAM.

FURTHERMORE, WHEN HE WAS OFFERING TO BUY THE PENS, HE NEVER MADE A SINGLE STATEMENT SAYING HE WAS GOING TO MOVE THEM TO SOUTHERN ONTARIO (OR ANYWHERE ELSE).

When he was "buying" the Pens, he certainly did not want to be irrevocably locked in to th emarket come hell or high water (or no arena). Certainly his actions in backing away form the deal made sense whether he wanted to move the team or not. If he was locked in by the NHL's consent agreement, he would have had no leverage in negotating with the city of Pittsburgh.

And then, after I came home, I read this ...

http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/story/10201108

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said Monday that even if the sale of the Nashville Predators goes through, the franchise "is not going anywhere."

Certainly Bettman has couched his answers to give some wiggle room to Balsillie, but - and this is an important "but" - Bettman has actually talked to the guy buying the team, unlike the usual vulture-like suspects that have been swishing around here the past few days speaking with such an air of authority about what Balsillie is actually thinking.

Maybe the Preds will move, maybe not, but I would nevertheless feel quite comfortable in suggesting that, at present, those who suggest that they know what Balsillie has planned are utterly full of ****.

Last edited by a moderator:

Orange

Jul 12, 2003
Visit site
And when Loria bought the Montreal Expos, he never said that he had a deal with Selig to get another team for running the Expos to the ground.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
Really, what did you expect Bettman to say?

The only thing "interesting" in that article is this:

"Only four of the 24 U.S. NHL markets outside the Los Angeles are being represented by newspapers during Games 1 and 2 in Anaheim. They are: The New York Times, (New York) Daily News, Philadelphia Inquirer, Denver Post and Minneapolis Star-Tribune."

GHOST

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami

"Only four of the 24 U.S. NHL markets outside the Los Angeles are being represented by newspapers during Games 1 and 2 in Anaheim. They are: The New York Times, (New York) Daily News, Philadelphia Inquirer, Denver Post and Minneapolis Star-Tribune."

GHOST

I think you are reading to much into that. Newspaper budgets have been slashed by a lot increasingly every year because of a lack of readership. Many newspapers from different cities are owned by the same company so they can just use that local papers coverage in their own paper or use the AP. An example is the Sun papers in Canada are using the OTtawa Sun's coverage across all of their papers. The papers are still covering the series.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
I think you are reading to much into that. Newspaper budgets have been slashed by a lot increasingly every year because of a lack of readership. Many newspapers from different cities are owned by the same company so they can just use that local papers coverage in their own paper or use the AP. An example is the Sun papers in Canada are using the OTtawa Sun's coverage across all of their papers. The papers are still covering the series.

You may be right, but there have been several stories over the last couple of years about how newspapers are scaling back their coverage of the NHL. I believe, for example, it was reported that the LA Times no longer has a reporter cover any of the Kings' away games.

GHOST

Jazz

You may be right, but there have been several stories over the last couple of years about how newspapers are scaling back their coverage of the NHL. I believe, for example, it was reported that the LA Times no longer has a reporter cover any of the Kings' away games.

GHOST
They did initially, but assigned a reporter in late November. Source: Radio interview with Brian Burke.

RTWAP*

You know what would be funny?

If everyone started pretentiously signing their emails 'NOT GHOST'.

That would be funny.

NOT GHOST

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
You know what would be funny?

If everyone started pretentiously signing their emails 'NOT GHOST'.

That would be funny.

NOT GHOST

I'm going to change my username to TWERP (Timmy: Wise, Egotistical, Right, Pretentious).

NOT GHOST

mooseOAK*

GHOST
Newspaper budget cutting has caused them to cut back on reporters in all areas, sign of the times.

KrisKing*

LOL GSCarpenter. For someone who supposedly preaches intellectual honesty you sure take the cake here.

"american newspapers aren't covering the Stanley Cup FINALS because of cutbacks, it's a sign of the times". Right, there aren't reporters covering the NBA playoffs either, or everyone's new favorite sport to make fun of on here, UFC. I love hfboards Americans apologists.

GSC2k2*

LOL GSCarpenter. For someone who supposedly preaches intellectual honesty you sure take the cake here.

"american newspapers aren't covering the Stanley Cup FINALS because of cutbacks, it's a sign of the times". Right, there aren't reporters covering the NBA playoffs either, or everyone's new favorite sport to make fun of on here, UFC. I love hfboards Americans apologists.
Deliver non-sequiters much, Richard?

NOT GHOST

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
Yeah, you'd think that. What a phony you are, wanting to "discuss issues". What an absolute phony.

I see you can’t take your own medicine without resorting to name calling. I don’t know how many times I’ve seen you write-off another poster’s opinions as not even being worthy of discussion and, quite honestly, you tend to do so in the most condescending manner. That is your own issue.

If you really believe that Jim Balsillie is interested in operating a franchise long-term in Nashville rather than southern Ontario or some other market either a) closer to where he lives or b) where it stands to receive decent support, then I guess you were being sincere about this thread. However, I do not believe that based on what I have read about Mr. Balsillie. I may be wrong, but that does not make me a “phony.”

GHOST

Last edited:

Shaka

Aug 13, 2006
Balsillie saying that he is not moving the franchise would be a much stronger statement than simply not saying anything about his desire to move. Could you imagine the backlash (or subtle argument, I suppose, in Nashville's case) if he outright said he was purchasing with the intent to move? Very few (if any) franchise purchases in sports go down like that. It's much easier to play the victim of bad fan support by upping ticket prices, cutting marketing and presenting a horrible product on ice. It artificially shifts the blame and builds a strong case for relocation.

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
I think it's clear to anyone that's been following this whole fiasco since he was interested in buying the Penguins knows pretty well that he intends on moving the team. Whether he can or not is the real question. Let's hope not.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I think it's clear to anyone that's been following this whole fiasco since he was interested in buying the Penguins knows pretty well that he intends on moving the team. Whether he can or not is the real question. Let's hope not.

I'd have to agree here. Whether you're pro-move or not, you have to assume from what has happened thus far that Balsillie is in the market to purchase a team, and move them close to home. Now as far as the initial post is concerned, it's true I can't claim to specifically 'KNOW' this, but you'd have to be wearing some pretty big blinders to not realize the guys been setting the stage for a move into Southern Ontario. He's talking to the mayors of Hamilton, AND Kitchener-Waterloo for godsakes, you think he's just covering his butt in case Nashville doesn't work out? The guys intention is pretty freaking obvious in this case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad