November, NHL 2018 Mock Draft

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Teams Ranked in Mock by current Standings:

1. Arizona - Dahlin: Arizona needs what ever they can get they’re hands on, Dahlin is the best Defender Prospect to be seen since the Hedman and Doughty days(arguably better than both at his stage of development), he’s a Franchise changing Defesemen who is borderline Generational for the position he plays and the skill he posses at it.

2. Florida - Svechnikov: This guy is an Elite Winger with High End tools in ever court of his game, his skating is Elite, his Shot is Elite, his IQ is Elite, his Hands are Elite, everything else is above adverse or high end, both Svechcnikov and Dahlin are in the same ball park of talent it’s just Dahlin plays a more premier position and it’s harder to find a guy with his floor at it. Florida gets that Franchise Winger to boost the Offence and possible bring an unstoppable dynamic between him and Barkov.

3. Buffalo - Hughes(Q.): Buffalo needs a pillar defender Hughes at 5’9” may not look the part but he’s got the best skills in the draft outside of the top 2 and if you add a couple inches he would rival them, he’s got Elite Offensive upside and he’s extremely good defensively for his size.

4. Edmonton - Zadina: Edmonton gets they’re replacement for Draistaitl at McDavids wing opening the Center position for Draistaitl and making a ultra-scary Top 6 for the future,

5. Boston - Boqvist: A plot to get an Elite future pairing between Boqvist and McAvoy as they’re both Elite talents.

6. Colarado - Merkley - Similar to the Boston pick Colaroda could potentially connect Makar and Merkley, two ultra Offensive talents on the blue line, but as Merkley posses arguably the highest offensive talents in the whole draft but lacks major Defensive given skill and IQ.

7. Carolina - Wahlstrom: The Canes have a very balanced team so I thought give them the best player I think is available and let’s hope he’s got a great set of skills and can play a higher valued position and he does.

8. Minnesota - Tkachuk, gritty, tough and a overall amazing hockey talent he’d be great for any organization and is the best option available for any team at #8.

9. Philadelphia - Farabee: Philly gets a future peice that could fit potentially fit perfect beside Nolan Patrick in they’re Franchises future.

10. Montreal - Wilde: Montreal needs a lot but as they moved Sergachev they need to fill the void with a big strong and talented almost Weber like Defender who can do allot and help Price in the future.

11. Anaheim - McBain: Anaheim is a strong and powerful team that’s trying to win now but hey need to start think about tomorrow and they could get real lucky out of this pick and find a Getzlaf 2.0.

12. Dallas - Smith(T.) - Another future potential Elite pairing, if Dallas can fight age off and pair Heiskanen with another Elite Defensive talent in Smith than they’re easily a Contender in my books.

13. Vancouver - Lundestrom: A future peice that could fit real well on the Top 6 and match things out with all they’re talent there.

14. NYI(Via Calgary) - Hayton: Another solid Forward talent who can help Cary the weight off of Tavares if he’s effective in the Top 6.

15. NYI - Kupari: I think this guy can play any Forwarding position but is a Boom or Bust prospect, either he will let his size and weaknesses over come him or he will be a Elite player who will score, kind of like Tolvanen, if Tavares doesn’t resign its a great rebound for the Islanders(I mean he’s no Tavares but at least they have a solid replace if he doesn’t bust).

16. Detroit - McIsaac: A great all rounded Defender who is great Defensively and that is what Detroit direly needs most, so check that off the list.

17. NYR - McLeod: I personally think the Rangers are real weak up front and a McLeod is not going to fix the problem off the hop but will eventually help as this team seems to be 3 years away from rebuilding.

18. San Jose - Kotkaniemi: Another weak Forward sided team that needs some young guys with skill, this kid has allot of pure talent but the question is will he bring it over as he ages and will it be effective in the NHL? Boom or Bust guy again...

19. Chicago - Samuelson: Chicago is good up front and will be for a while so why not boost the back end...

20. Ottawa - Veleno: Ottawa is decent up front with a monster on the back end, they take the best forward available.

21. Vegas - Bouchard(E.): Best defender available that will be a great asset for the Knights in the future.

22. Washington - Thomas(A.): Best available...

23. Nashville - Eriksson(E.): Sneaky pick with a team that needs a bit more strength up front and that’s what they get out of this pick with a great prospect who’s very underrated.

24. Winnipeg - Woo: Best Player available and Best name available, he’s got no flash but he’s arguably Top 3 Defensively in the entire Draft.

25. Columbus - Bouchard(X.): Columbus has the opportunity to potentially boost the back end and take the best available Defender.

26. Pittsburgh - Khovanov: Best available player and could potentially mold to Crosby or Malkin or boost they’re Top 9.

27. Toronto - Skarek: Best available Goalie and has Elite tools for the position, Toronto would love this guy as a prospect.

28. New Jersey - Noel(S.): Huge guy and underrated talent and the Devils need to start beefing up the Top 6 with strong Wingers.

29. Los Angeles - Groulx: BPA and the Kings need Offence, this guy should eventually provide.

30. St. Louis - Addison(C.): BPA

31. Tampa Bay - Bahl: BPA

Last edited:

BruinsFan1990

Mar 29, 2016
Winthrop, MA
While I think Boqvist will turn out to be a great player, I hope the Bruins would go with Wahlstrom with their pick. The team's RW depth after Pastrnak is abysmal.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Florida ain't taking another forward, they would take their Quinton Hughes, I mean he's from Florida. So it works. And he's a defender. I rest my poorly worded case.

I think Hughes can be a Franchise No.1 D-Man but it’s a rare chance of that happening. I think Svechnikov has the safest floor of any prospect and he’s got the second best upside as well.

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
I think Hughes can be a Franchise No.1 D-Man but it’s a rare chance of that happening. I think Svechnikov has the safest floor of any prospect and he’s got the second best upside as well.
Yes, but I'm telling you there is no way Florida goes away from the 1st Round without a defender. Let's say they do end up with the 2nd after the lottery, I expect them to make a trade with let's say Edmonton to move down. Panthers defense is probably the worst in the NHL currently. If they go with another forward it'll be a huge mistake. Passing up on Svechikov would suck, but they have Tippett, Heponiemi, Borgstrom, and Mascherin all coming up. On defense, they basically only have Max Gildon to my knowledge.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Yes, but I'm telling you there is no way Florida goes away from the 1st Round without a defender. Let's say they do end up with the 2nd after the lottery, I expect them to make a trade with let's say Edmonton to move down. Panthers defense is probably the worst in the NHL currently. If they go with another forward it'll be a huge mistake. Passing up on Svechikov would suck, but they have Tippett, Heponiemi, Borgstrom, and Mascherin all coming up. On defense, they basically only have Max Gildon to my knowledge.

I think Hughes is likeliest to land in Florida but that being said I don’t think any team would pass on Svechnikov unless Dahlin Is on the board.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
He will be for sure a top 10 pick.
Veleno's development curve is a big red flag for me. I'm not a fan of players who drop down in the rankings for a few years prior to the draft, and that's exactly what Veleno is doing. I don't care if he's almost a point-per-game and that he had exceptional status, the fact that he's only put up four goals through 22 games, and 17 in the last two years is very concerning. And with the depth of this draft, there are a number of players I'd take ahead of him- at this point, he's hardly in the running for top twenty.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
While I think Boqvist will turn out to be a great player, I hope the Bruins would go with Wahlstrom with their pick. The team's RW depth after Pastrnak is abysmal.

Tkachuk or Wahlstrom would be my choices though I wouldn't be upset with a player like Boqvist. The talent in this draft is very intriguing.

Last edited:
Reactions: BruinsFan1990

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
Veleno's development curve is a big red flag for me. I'm not a fan of players who drop down in the rankings for a few years prior to the draft, and that's exactly what Veleno is doing. I don't care if he's almost a point-per-game and that he had exceptional status, the fact that he's only put up four goals through 22 games, and 17 in the last two years is very concerning. And with the depth of this draft, there are a number of players I'd take ahead of him- at this point, he's hardly in the running for top twenty.
Just look at the team he is on... and the fact he has 21 points in 22 games is great. He also put up 40 points in 45 games as a 16 year old playing on one of the deepest teams in the CHL. Sure, maybe he didn't deserve exceptional status but he has been pretty good and has only been playing better since. Goals aren't that important if he's putting up PPG numbers.

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
Teams Ranked in Mock by current Standings:

1. Arizona - Dahlin: Arizona needs what ever they can get they’re hands on, Dahlin is the best Defender Prospect to be seen since the Hedman and Doughty days(arguably better than both at his stage of development), he’s a Franchise changing Defesemen who is borderline Generational for the position he plays and the skill he posses at it.

2. Florida - Svechnikov: This guy is an Elite Winger with High End tools in ever court of his game, his skating is Elite, his Shot is Elite, his IQ is Elite, his Hands are Elite, everything else is above adverse or high end, both Svechcnikov and Dahlin are in the same ball park of talent it’s just Dahlin plays a more premier position and it’s harder to find a guy with his floor at it. Florida gets that Franchise Winger to boost the Offence and possible bring an unstoppable dynamic between him and Barkov.

3. Buffalo - Hughes(Q.): Buffalo needs a pillar defender Hughes at 5’9” may not look the part but he’s got the best skills in the draft outside of the top 2 and if you add a couple inches he would rival them, he’s got Elite Offensive upside and he’s extremely good defensively for his size.

4. Edmonton - Zadina: Edmonton gets they’re replacement for Draistaitl at McDavids wing opening the Center position for Draistaitl and making a ultra-scary Top 6 for the future,

5. Boston - Boqvist: A plot to get an Elite future pairing between Boqvist and McAvoy as they’re both Elite talents.

6. Colarado - Merkley - Similar to the Boston pick Colaroda could potentially connect Makar and Merkley, two ultra Offensive talents on the blue line, but as Merkley posses arguably the highest offensive talents in the whole draft but lacks major Defensive given skill and IQ.

7. Carolina - Wahlstrom: The Canes have a very balanced team so I thought give them the best player I think is available and let’s hope he’s got a great set of skills and can play a higher valued position and he does.

8. Minnesota - Tkachuk, gritty, tough and a overall amazing hockey talent he’d be great for any organization and is the best option available for any team at #8.

9. Philadelphia - Farabee: Philly gets a future peice that could fit potentially fit perfect beside Nolan Patrick in they’re Franchises future.

10. Montreal - Wilde: Montreal needs a lot but as they moved Sergachev they need to fill the void with a big strong and talented almost Weber like Defender who can do allot and help Price in the future.

11. Anaheim - McBain: Anaheim is a strong and powerful team that’s trying to win now but hey need to start think about tomorrow and they could get real lucky out of this pick and find a Getzlaf 2.0.

12. Dallas - Smith(T.) - Another future potential Elite pairing, if Dallas can fight age off and pair Heiskanen with another Elite Defensive talent in Smith than they’re easily a Contender in my books.

13. Vancouver - Lundestrom: A future peice that could fit real well on the Top 6 and match things out with all they’re talent there.

14. NYI(Via Calgary) - Hayton: Another solid Forward talent who can help Cary the weight off of Tavares if he’s effective in the Top 6.

15. NYI - Kupari: I think this guy can play any Forwarding position but is a Boom or Bust prospect, either he will let his size and weaknesses over come him or he will be a Elite player who will score, kind of like Tolvanen, if Tavares doesn’t resign its a great rebound for the Islanders(I mean he’s no Tavares but at least they have a solid replace if he doesn’t bust).

16. Detroit - McIsaac: A great all rounded Defender who is great Defensively and that is what Detroit direly needs most, so check that off the list.

17. NYR - McLeod: I personally think the Rangers are real weak up front and a McLeod is not going to fix the problem off the hop but will eventually help as this team seems to be 3 years away from rebuilding.

18. San Jose - Kotkaniemi: Another weak Forward sided team that needs some young guys with skill, this kid has allot of pure talent but the question is will he bring it over as he ages and will it be effective in the NHL? Boom or Bust guy again...

19. Chicago - Samuelson: Chicago is good up front and will be for a while so why not boost the back end...

20. Ottawa - Veleno: Ottawa is decent up front with a monster on the back end, they take the best forward available.

21. Vegas - Bouchard(E.): Best defender available that will be a great asset for the Knights in the future.

22. Washington - Thomas(A.): Best available...

23. Nashville - Eriksson(E.): Sneaky pick with a team that needs a bit more strength up front and that’s what they get out of this pick with a great prospect who’s very underrated.

24. Winnipeg - Woo: Best Player available and Best name available, he’s got no flash but he’s arguably Top 3 Defensively in the entire Draft.

25. Columbus - Bouchard(X.): Columbus has the opportunity to potentially boost the back end and take the best available Defender.

26. Pittsburgh - Khovanov: Best available player and could potentially mold to Crosby or Malkin or boost they’re Top 9.

27. Toronto - Skarek: Best available Goalie and has Elite tools for the position, Toronto would love this guy as a prospect.

28. New Jersey - Noel(S.): Huge guy and underrated talent and the Devils need to start beefing up the Top 6 with strong Wingers.

29. Los Angeles - Groulx: BPA and the Kings need Offence, this guy should eventually provide.

30. St. Louis - Addison(C.): BPA

31. Tampa Bay - Bahl: BPA

Did you forget Ekblad went 1st overall?

DonM

The Industrial Revolution and its consequences
May 18, 2015
Just look at the team he is on... and the fact he has 21 points in 22 games is great. He also put up 40 points in 45 games as a 16 year old playing on one of the deepest teams in the CHL. Sure, maybe he didn't deserve exceptional status but he has been pretty good and has only been playing better since. Goals aren't that important if he's putting up PPG numbers.

PPG in any CHL league isn't good for a supposed top 10 pick. The following forwards have been picked top 10 since 2010 with around 1 ppg or less.

Ryan Johanson
Brett Connoly
Alex Burmistrov
Bo Horvat
Jake Virtanen
Pavel Zacha
Michael Rasmussen

Only a couple are viewed as good picks, and several of them had no prior experience in the CHL. Rarely were they players having stagnant production like Veleno.

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
PPG in any CHL league isn't good for a supposed top 10 pick. The following forwards have been picked top 10 since 2010 with around 1 ppg or less.

Ryan Johanson
Brett Connoly
Alex Burmistrov
Bo Horvat
Jake Virtanen
Pavel Zacha
Michael Rasmussen

Only a couple are viewed as good picks, and several of them had no prior experience in the CHL. Rarely were they players having stagnant production like Veleno.
Veleno will be a top 10 pick.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
I'd be down. I can see why he could easily fall, although I have confidence he will at least stay in the first 31. Should be interesting.
I suspect he'll stay within the first round at the very least, the top ten/fifteen just seems a bit high for me, all things considered.

So, what are the terms of the bet?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad