GDT: Nov 2nd - Pittsburgh @ Calgary - 7:00 PM MT - SNW

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Funny how within about 4 seconds of taking Brouwer off the PP we score.

Also, monster game by Kulak. He’s not going anywhere for a while. Skates like a deer

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Chucky bamboozled the Penguins there.

Nice use of bamboozled. Would 'Like' again

Also, monster game by Kulak. He’s not going anywhere for a while. Skates like a deer

I really should have taken names during preseason of every silly person who wanted Bartkowski, Wotherspoon, or [random waiver pickup] over him.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Flames offense tonight:

Monahan, Gaudreau, Tkachuk and Gio.

TFW no depth scoring.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Although a win's a win, we need goals bad man.
We haven't scored more than 2 goals in regulation since the Vancouver game on Oct 14th.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I think Darren Haynes put out an article of some sort talking about promoting the entire Stockton first line. We should actually consider doing that with Mangi and Hathaway. Goddamn that fourth line blows

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think Darren Haynes put out an article of some sort talking about promoting the entire Stockton first line. We should actually consider doing that with Mangi and Hathaway. Goddamn that fourth line blows

We have to figure something out on that bottom 6. At least the third line is creating.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

I posted this as well more than a week ago (before Janko was ever brought up). There is no way that a Hathaway-Janko-Mangiapane 4th line could be worse than the garbage we have now. problem is then Bennett gets saddled with Versteeg and Brouwer.

With that said, Stajan and Versteeg should never play an NHL game again for the Flames. They've been beyond bad. Constantly hemmed in their own zone for minutes at a time, produce nothing offensively, yet get prime ice-time and continually get special teams time, both PK and PP. Horrendous.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I’m sorry but I have some bad news..
He will be bought out or traded this offseason. This isn't an Engelland type deal where there's some (pseudo) worth to him. He's a PKer and net front presence on the fourth line who makes 4.5m. Treliving wouldn't sit on his hands for that

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
It's not impossible that Brouwer gets bought out in the summer. At the very least, his NTC becomes a MNTC.

But even if he's still here, which he probably will be (a buyout is much more palatable the following summer), all of Stajan, Versteeg and Jagr won't be back, which opens up three spots for some youthful energy, hopefully anyway. Insert at least two of Hathaway, Mangiapane, Foo, Klimchuk, Dube and the the bottom six might actually give the team some jump instead of just always being momentum killers.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Nice job gutting out a win, but that was Mike Smith.

Our forecheck is abysmal. Lines 2 and 3 have been alright, but man, there's a large part of why we're struggling to score right there. So many easy outs from the opposition all year.

Kulak looked real good. Hope Glen sees it and realizes that spot should be his.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
People think the Pens won their last two cups on the backs of Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Murray, and Letang. They really won because they play with tremendous tempo and have the depth to do so. No other team in the league can keep up with them when they play that fast and aggressive. When you watch them in the playoffs they were constantly pushing the pace, not giving their opponents an inch to work with.

Flames need to learn to play with this same aggression, they need to learn how to push the tempo of a game and put the other team on their heels. Nothing drives me nuts like seeing guys puck watching in their own zone and there was a lot of that going on last night. We are not going to be an effective team playing this trap and breaking out as a 5 man group method unless it's played more aggressively. The Flames couldn't even get the puck out half the time because they were just standing still.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
Smith and Gaudreau were amazing.

Nice play by Tkachuk in OT.

This team has serious problems with defense and offense and it's going to catch up with us.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Smith and Gaudreau were amazing.

Nice play by Tkachuk in OT.

This team has serious problems with defense and offense and it's going to catch up with us.
Disagree on the defense- the high shot totals against are mostly low quality shots, there was a good heat map posted of it not long ago. I think our D is doing pretty well, definitely room for improvement, but well for early in the season.
On the flip side our offense is anemic. Our top lines even struggle to muster a goal between them each game, and our bottom 6 is useless scoring wise. I think these issues could be addressed rather easily though:
- Remove Versteeg and Brouwer from the PP, reduce the icetime of the entire fourth line to under 8 minutes per game. If possible, trade stajan or otherwise dispose of his corpse
-Jagr returns to the lineup, potentially spurring more offense on the third line. Alternately, it frees up Ferland to move down the lineup and I think he's been good this year so far

and one a lot of you hate:

-Trade Bennett and a Defensive prospect from our stable for some scoring help. Any scoring help.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad