NCAA: Notre Dame stripped of wins, including 2012 season

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/notre-dame-football-punished-by-ncaa-for-academic-misconduct/
According to the NCAA, the former trainer completed “numerous academic assignments for football student-athletes in numerous courses†from 2011 to 2013.

Notre Dame accepted additional penalties of one year’s probation, a two-year show-cause order and a $5,000 fine, but the school announced that it will appeal the vacation of wins. They include 12 from the 2012 season, when the Irish reached the national championship game.

Notre Dame president Rev. John I. Jenkins and football coach Brian Kelly both said Tuesday that no misconduct had been committed by the school.

“The NCAA has never before vacated the records of an institution that had no involvement in the underlying academic misconduct,†the school wrote in an official statement.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Vacating wins is so stupid.

Just fine them or take away a scholarship or something. We all watched the games and know they won them. You're not retroactively giving the team they beat a win or anything either.

Reggie Bush still won the Heisman.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Vacating wins still strikes me as ridiculous, absurd, and utterly pointless.

If you're going to punish a program then take away scholarships. That actually accomplishes something. All this does is make future media guides lie.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Manti Te'o has been involved in a lot of things that didn't exist.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Manti Te'o has been involved in a lot of things that didn't exist.

nPPIr.gif

Close the thread. This wins. :laugh:

giphy.gif

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

If you're going to punish a program then take away scholarships. That actually accomplishes something. All this does is make future media guides lie.

Its stupid unless the team wins a national championship. Even then, its dumb but at least it puts a hole in something.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

I think it's fine for vacating wins. I mean you can't actually take them away but they did cheat

Notre dame knew but allowed them to play anyway? (Unless I'm wrong but that's just what I read)

Its not like USC where they give money to players. They were allowed to play.

But they should totally take away scholarships or something that hurts them

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Man, I feel I've had funnier quips than that.

But that was a good one considering how much I loathed Notre Dame that year.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
So what happens first, UNC finally gets punished by the NCAA, or another university gets victories stripped because of academic fraud?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad