Notable Undrafteds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Barnes didn't opt in.

To me, suprises were the Russians (Shitikov, Shirokov, Megalinsky, Plyuschev, Karetin, etc.). Also Aleksis Ahlqvist.

EHCler

May 9, 2003
Visit site
Hero of Tragedy said:
Germany's Marcus Kink...unless I missed it.

No did not miss it.
So it was a weak German draft I was very suprised that only Greiss was drafted. I expected Kink Hoerdler and 1-2 overagers to be drafted.

bizzz*

I totally forgot about Shitikov, size must have had something to do with it.
Probably his last name (the first 4 letters of it) scared managers. They just couldn't say it.

Petey21

Dec 19, 2003
Sweden
www.geocities.com
For me it was a surprise that Mattias Hellström from Sweden (MoDo Hockey) didn't get drafted (and also that his teammate Oscar Hedman was drafted as late as in the 5th round, I was sure he'd go in the first day, but at least he did get drafted though).

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Shirikov and Tsimikalis are probably the two biggest surprises to me.

Every scouting agency seemed to have Shirikov in their top 100, and pretty comfortably too.

And Tsimikalis is just a good honest player.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Peter Tsimikalis >>>>>>> Steven Covington (Wings pick in the 7th)
:mad:

Other than that I thought Bedrich Kohler was a surprising omission, he sounds like a solid athlete, with good size, who made very big strides in his game this season.

And I think those Russians who Seachd mentioned were only passed over because of the expiring Russian transfer agreement. Just look at how far Vorobiev, Lisin, Stolyarov and Klimov dropped for further proof teams weren't thrilled about picking Russians.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
The #1 center on Team Sweden's U18-team, Mattias Hellström, was not drafted.
Interesting players such as defenseman Niklas Andersson and power forward Johan Harju went unnoticed as well.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Krys said:
The Wild drafted him in the 4th(117th overall)

Yeah, I missed it. I checked a lot earlier but I was half asleep when I did it. Then before I posted I double checked all of the rounds but I only looked at 5-9.

I like that pick by Minnesota.

Hellstrom should have been draft, I think. What happens with undrafted guys like Hellstrom? Will he be able to be picked next year or what? :dunno:

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
MrKnowNothing said:
. . .
Hellstrom should have been draft, I think. What happens with undrafted guys like Hellstrom? Will he be able to be picked next year or what? :dunno:

Yes. European players have to be drafted before they can play in the NHL, according to current rules. So they can pass through many drafts and still be drafted later up to any age.

North American based players can only be drafted up to a certain age- around 20 I think- and after that they can sign as UFAs.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Here's the breakdown of the draft: http://www.canoe.ca/Slam040627/nhl_draft-cp.html

Canada: 125
U.S.: 64
Czech Republic: 21
Sweden: 19
Russia: 18
Finland: 14
Slovakia: 10
Belarus: 4
Switzerland:4

Not a great showing by Russia or Slovakia IMO. I'm no expert, but wonder if the CBA negotiations, and Russia transfer issues could be playing a big role here?

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Joe Barnes! I may be biased towards him but his stats obviously didn't do him justice this year. He battled injuries and played on the worst team in the league with poor linemates. I was very suprised he wasn't picked...I'd have called him a steal in the 5th Round despite the lack of a "showcase" season. :dunno: Whatever.

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but Janne Laakkonen went unnoticed - once again. :D

He keeps outscoring our finest prospects year after year, but NHL teams seem to prefer 6'8 players from Finnish 3rd tier league over 5'9 SM-liiga 1st liners.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
montreal said:
I missed the last few picks, did Jannik Hansen or Alex Akseneko get drafted?

Who ended up with RJ Anderson?

RJ Anderson went in the 4th round, I think.
Jannik Hansen was picked by Vancouver in the 9th round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->