Olympics: Not sure what Sweden was doing in Vancouver

Janvonpobben

Sep 15, 2021
Watched the quarterfinal game between Sweden and Slovakia from olympics 2010. What a weird game this game was. Slovaks scored 4 goals on 13 shots. Lundqvist played very poorly while sweden had a great team on paper. Forsberg, zetterberg, alfredsson, sedin brothers, backstrom, lidstrom, enstrom, hornqvist, kronwall etc.

Lots of firepower upfront. There was 5-6 forwards that had scored over 100p in a NHL season.

This is a game we shouldnt had lost. It is almost as big choke as belarus.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockeyfrilla

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
I was actually at that game, I bought some box seats from a scalper outside the arena.

The game had a really weird pace. Both teams seemed to be playing to not lose, from what I recall. One game elimination, anything can happen.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
There was lots of problems with the Swedish roster.

Forsberg should not even been on that team. He brought nothing. He had too much problem with injuries.

Franzen should not have been buried on 4th line.

Weinhandl and Magnus Johansson should not had make it.

BÅG was a horrible coach. Pär Mårts should have coached.

Modin and Påhlsson was finished on this level. They did a good checking-job, sure, but we had others who could do that while giving more offensive. Modin also had serious problem with injuries.

Doug Murray on the team is a big joke. The guy was nothing but a goon.

Johan Hedberg should have been on the team. He was the best goalie we had behind Lundqvist.

The team should have looked like:

Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Loui Eriksson
Henrik Zetterberg - Nicklas Bäckström - Daniel Alfredsson
Kristian Huselius - Patrik Berglund - Johan Franzen
Alexander Steen - Marcus Nilson - Mikael Samuelsson

Nicklas Lidström - Niklas Kronwall
Tobias Enström - Henrik Tallinder
Alexander Edler - Niklas Hjalmarsson

Henrik Lundqvist
Johan Hedberg
Jonas Monster Gustafsson

Great team.

Reactions: behemolari

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
They ran into perhaps the best ever Slovak roster assembled, carried by the late Demitra, who was playing the hockey of his life. Plus prime Chara, Hossa, Gaborik, Halak. The fact that this team didn't medal will probably forever stay the biggest disapointment in the history of Slovak hockey.

Those last seconds vs Canada and Luongo's save on Demitra haunts me.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Sweden were favourites to win, but that loss was nowhere close to the Belarus fiasco. Slovakia had two of the best defensemen in the game (Chara and Visnovsky) and two of the best wingers in the game (Hossa and Gaborik). That alone made them a threat to beat any team in a one game elimination round. They were literally inches away from forcing Canada to overtime in the semi finals too.

Sweden should maybe have won 4 out of 5 times, but that ended up being the 1 game they couldn't do it. It happens.

Last edited:

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
Watched the quarterfinal game between Sweden and Slovakia from olympics 2010. What a weird game this game was. Slovaks scored 4 goals on 13 shots. Lundqvist played very poorly while sweden had a great team on paper. Forsberg, zetterberg, alfredsson, sedin brothers, backstrom, lidstrom, enstrom, hornqvist, kronwall etc.

Lots of firepower upfront. There was 5-6 forwards that had scored over 100p in a NHL season.

This is a game we shouldnt had lost. It is almost as big choke as belarus.

That was it.

Janvonpobben

Sep 15, 2021
They ran into perhaps the best ever Slovak roster assembled, carried by the late Demitra, who was playing the hockey of his life. Plus prime Chara, Hossa, Gaborik, Halak. The fact that this team didn't medal will probably forever stay the biggest disapointment in the history of Slovak hockey.

I watched the game right now sweden dominated them but lundqvist shat yhr bed. Slovaks had 0 scoring chances in 3rd period.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I watched the game right now sweden dominated them but lundqvist shat yhr bed. Slovaks had 0 scoring chances in 3rd period.

Slovakia was leading the game going into the third period. Of course they are gonna fall back and defend their lead, especially being the underdog.

I disagree with jcbio that it was Slovakia's best roster ever assembled though. Best defense? Sure. Best goaltending? Probably. But their forward group was much, much better in 2006. By 2010 - Demitra, Satan, Stumpel and Palffy - were all on the decline (though Demitra ended up having a fantastic tournament, RIP).

But comparing this game to Sweden's loss against Belarus is a really bad take. How many players from the Belarussian 2002 team would make Slovakias 2010 team if they could travel forward in time without aging? Maybe two or three.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia

I don't think I'll ever be more disappointed during a period of hockey than in that 3rd period against Finland.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
If my memory serves me right, BÅG was playing Påhlsson-Modin the last minute in 3rd period. Just nuts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad