Not one thread about the Pacific tourney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam

Feb 27, 2002
Here's a copy and paste of what I had in the Kings' forum (it obviously focuses mainly on the Kings).
Sam said:
Grebeshkov - was great in the first two games but mediocre in the final two (although he had a great slapshot goal that was crossbar-and-in during the third game); seemed to wear down as the tournament progressed and also in the third period in games (I'd guess Grebeshkov isn't used to playing half the game, as it was essentially him and a bunch of tryouts for the defensemen); was an alternate captain

Kanko - offensively, very inconsistent; had four goals and an assist in the game against Phoenix and a goal in the first game against Anaheim, but I don't remember Kanko even having a quality offensive scoring chance in the last two games; as an agitator, played extremely well; drew two penalties in each of first three games (by my count) and was still doing a good job agitating in the final (the Ducks just kept their composure and didn't bite on the bait)

Hogeboom – was solid, neither good nor bad; had a sweet shorthanded breakaway goal against the Sharks; overall, didn’t create as many chances offensively as I had hoped but did a lot of the little things right

James – probably the fastest player in the tournament but turned the puck over too much, including one on his own blue-line that led to Armstrong’s goal in the Sharks’ game; some of that can be attributed to him playing the point on the power pay, which was likely foreign to him

Clarke – the Kings’ most consistent offensive threat in the tournament and was more aggressive than I expected, mucking it up around the net and after the whistles; was the Kings’ captain

Approximate GAA of Kings’ goaltenders (counting each appearance as 30 minutes, as the Kings had each goalie play approximately one half of each game)
Brust – 6.00 GAA (1 appearance)
Fukufuji – 4.00 GAA (2 appearances)
Munce – 4.00 GAA (1 appearance)
Marsters – 2.67 GAA (3 appearances)
Taylor – 2.00 GAA (1 appearance)

The final game was disappointing for the Kings, but overall, I was rather pleased with the Kings' second place finish in the tournament, considering the Kings had the least number of prospects in their respective HF top 20 (Kings had 5 in their HF top 20; Sharks - 7; Coyotes - 9; and Anaheim - 11) and the second least amount of AHL seasoning (Kings had 192 regular season games of AHL experience; Sharks - 84; Coyotes - 242; Anaheim - 489)

Brief impressions of the other teams’ prospects (I didn’t concentrate as hard on the other teams’ prospects so take it for what it is worth):
Kaspar - performed very well for an 18-year old; a possible steal for the Sharks
Bernier - was better this year than he was last year, but that's not saying much; still disappointing for a first rounder
Gorges - a bit disappointing as he was very quiet throughout the tournament
Glencross – MVP of the tournament; led it in scoring by my count with six goals and two assists; was a consistent offensive threat; had a sweet goal in the first game against the Kings, schooling one of the Kings D before putting it by Marsters
Perry – very productive on the power play, creating a lot of chances; didn’t do much off it, though
Getzlaf – was pretty inconsistent; was poor in the first game; fantastic in the second with some great pinpoint passes to set up a couple goals, mediocre in the third game, and good in the fourth
Rome – was a bit disappointing in the first three games, although some of that can probably be explained from an injury in the first game, but had a great fourth game, making some good pinches to keep the puck in and also adding a couple assists
Ballard – easily the most impressive of the Coyotes’ prospects; stayed calm and cool with the puck and showed great positioning throughout the tournament
McLeod - had a great game in the consolation game, really earning his two goals
Koreis – disappointing; didn’t show much offensively at all, don’t think he had a point in the whole tournament
Standings
1. Anaheim (2-1-0-1)
2. Los Angeles (2-1-1-0)
3. Phoenix (2-2-0-0)
4. San Jose (1-2-1-0)

Results
September 9
San Jose 4, Phoenix 1
Los Angeles 3, Anaheim 2 (OT)

September 10
Los Angeles 11, Phoenix 2
Anaheim 6, San Jose 2