Not enough arch support in my CCM Pro Tacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Accord

Sep 25, 2004
South Florida
I've got a pair of CCM Pro Tacks and there is simply not enough arch support for me. As a result my forefoot, more specifically the balls of my feet are in so much pain and aching so much after about 8 to 10 minutes of hard skating. I bought some arch supports at a local drug store but i'm having a really hard time keeping them in place and they just feel very awkward, not comfortable at all.

What can I do?

Any advice and help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Canadian Chris

Feb 28, 2002
Nanaimo, BC
Visit site
go to a sporting good store, I know sportchek has them, but find sporting good store that carries Superfeet...these are seriously the best insole that I've EVER worn. So comfortable. I've got them in both pairs of skates, and they provide great arch support, and just general better foot support all the way around, heel, arch, all over. They "shrink" your foot in essence because they have a relatively pronounced arch.

But that's what I'd be looking at doing. If you can't do that, see if you can't find an insert of some sort to slide under your arch on the footbed. That will help for a little while as well.

Also, with the Superfeet, if that's what you choose to go with, make sure you get the correct one...They come for shoes, hiking boots, skates/rollerblades and skiboots/snowboard boots...so you'll want to get the right one, and then read the instructions, because I know in some cases they just lay on top of the existing footbed, and in other cases the existing footbed is to be removed.

Accord

Sep 25, 2004
South Florida
Canadian Chris said:
and they provide great arch support

From the pictures i've seen of the Superfeet soles, the arch area is just thin foam that takes the shape of whatever the built in arch of the skates footbed is, the Superfeet insoles (from what i've seen in pictures) have no real built in arch support.

What skates are you using?

Canadian Chris

Feb 28, 2002
Nanaimo, BC
Visit site
I've got CCM 1152's and 652's

and if you're just going by pictures, well, feel free to do that, but atleast take your skates down to a place that carries them and go put them in and see how they feel. You'd be surprised. They work quite well, I should know, I sell them, and I wear them. They are really comfortable, and work otherwise I wouldn't suggest them

Accord

Sep 25, 2004
South Florida
Canadian Chris said:
I've got CCM 1152's and 652's

and if you're just going by pictures, well, feel free to do that, but atleast take your skates down to a place that carries them and go put them in and see how they feel. You'd be surprised. They work quite well, I should know, I sell them, and I wear them. They are really comfortable, and work otherwise I wouldn't suggest them

I'd love to be able to do that, but I live in South Florida and there are no good hockey stores down here :(.

Canadian Chris

Feb 28, 2002
Nanaimo, BC
Visit site
you could probably get some in through a shoe store too...foot locker or something along those lines......but I'm really not too sure what else to suggest....get the hell outta florida? lol :dunno:

Accord

Sep 25, 2004
South Florida
Canadian Chris said:
you could probably get some in through a shoe store too...foot locker or something along those lines......but I'm really not too sure what else to suggest....get the hell outta florida? lol :dunno:
I found a SuperFeet dealer near me that makes custom SuperFeet soles for you, i'm definitely going to check them out tomorrow.

Thanks

predhead1

Aug 7, 2003
Accord said:
I found a SuperFeet dealer near me that makes custom SuperFeet soles for you, i'm definitely going to check them out tomorrow.

Thanks

I'm also in South Florida - take your skates to IceBreakers on Federal in Pompano and they can bake them for you - you should be able to get a custom fit after that.

Accord

Sep 25, 2004
South Florida
predhead1 said:
I'm also in South Florida - take your skates to IceBreakers on Federal in Pompano and they can bake them for you - you should be able to get a custom fit after that.
My skates have already been baked, unfortunately baking has no affect on the footbed or the built-in arch :(. Thanks for letting me know about IceBreakers though, are they a hockey shop or something? I've never heard of them before.

Last edited:

Accord

Sep 25, 2004
South Florida
I went to this podiatrist place to look into custom orthodics and they cost $375!!! For that much I could buy a new pair of skates.

So then I found a place that sold Superfeet insoles and bought a pair, I haven't skated in them yet but they seem like they'll be good. The only thing is that the heel in the Superfeet soles is raised up pretty high and as a result my foot feels EXTREMELY tight in the boot.

I'm going to skate in them tomorrow and see how it goes, i'll be sure to post my results here.

Last edited:

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
Have you always skated in CCM's?

If so, have you always had problems with the arch ?

Canadian Chris

Feb 28, 2002
Nanaimo, BC
Visit site
The superfeet will break in, and the heel will get better, trust me on that one, it will loosen a bit, but still be somewhat tight. My bet says you won't notice it, but I know I felt the same thing when I first put mine in.

Hopefully they work for you

Accord

Sep 25, 2004
South Florida
Toonces said:
Have you always skated in CCM's?

If so, have you always had problems with the arch ?
I skated in Bauers when I was younger and used CCM's for the past 3-4 years, never had a problem like this before.

Accord

Sep 25, 2004
South Florida
I just got back from an open skating to test them out and all i've got to say is Superfeet are AWESOME! They solved all my problems, absolutely amazing involes and I highly recommend them to everyone that is having problems with their heels, archs, or forefoot hurting badly. Even if you don't have any problems it's still a massive improvement over the OEM insole in your skates. I just can't believe how awesome they are, everytime I stepped on the ice I felt like I had torture chambers strapped to my feet and when I put the Superfeet insoles in I felt like I was skating on a cloud, lol.

I am having a LITTLE bit of pain in the arch on my left foot but it's not a big deal and nowhere close to the pain I was having on the balls of my feet before, the arch thing will most likely go away once I skate on the Superfeet insoles some more. I heard you've got to give them some time to break in as well.

acr*

I have extremely flat and wide feet, so I never could play hockey. I can skate, but every once in a while I have to sit down for a minute to give them a rest

I haven't tried skating since I got my custom orthotics, but I doubt it'd make a huge difference, since most skates are hard and don't give flexibility no matter what

Accord

Sep 25, 2004
South Florida
acr said:
I have extremely flat and wide feet, so I never could play hockey. I can skate, but every once in a while I have to sit down for a minute to give them a rest

I haven't tried skating since I got my custom orthotics, but I doubt it'd make a huge difference, since most skates are hard and don't give flexibility no matter what

Everyone can play hockey, if you haven't found the right skate for you, you simply haven't looked hard enough. There is a skate for everyone regardless of the shape of your foot. The Graf 709 is a very wide skate to begin with and you can get it in the even wider width which is extremely wide, it's also a very deep boot and is by far one of the least stiff boots on the market with a LOT of flexibility. It's got all the great Graf technology in it but was designed for players just coming off foot injuries and could not comfortably wear a regular skate, you should definitely look into the 709: http://www.grafcanada.com/graf_products/itemdetail.asp?itemid=28

Accord

Sep 25, 2004
South Florida
Okay, just an update on the SuperFeet insoles. They were great at first but after a few skate sessions they broke down and the built in arch support seems to have relaxed to the point where it's taken the form of the boot, like there is no arch support anymore, as a result the pain I was having has re-appeared. Needless to say, i'm going to be taking advantage of their 30 day money back guarantee.

Does anyone have any advice on what else I can do? Thanks

Magnus Fulgur

Nov 27, 2002
Sell them on ebay, and hope that you fleece someone...then buy Bauers (or a different brand) which are wider and/or have more support! I swore by CCM all my life, and then when I was 32 I finally admitted that they didn't suit my feet. Now I'm thrilled with my Bauers.

Accord

Sep 25, 2004
South Florida
wickedbsfan said:
Sell them on ebay, and hope that you fleece someone...then buy Bauers (or a different brand) which are wider and/or have more support! I swore by CCM all my life, and then when I was 32 I finally admitted that they didn't suit my feet. Now I'm thrilled with my Bauers.
I ended up buying a pair of Bauer 8090's about a week or two ago and they've been absolutely perfect and fit my foot like a glove. I'd sell them on eBay but there just isn't much of a market for used skates on there, i'm sure they would sell but not nearly for as much as i'd want to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad