Not All Second-Round Picks are Created Equal

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
Second-round picks are the hottest commodity in the OHL these days. Fifteen such picks have changed hands since the beginning of September, and we may see as many as a dozen more moved before the Jan. 10th trade deadline.

When trade details come out, however, the media often focuses on the number of second-round picks traded, not their value. Basic economics tell us that a 2018 pick is worth more than a 2020 pick, but without access to a more complete list of past OHL transactions than the OHL site offers or to some team's proprietary data on pick valuation, we probably can't create a particularly useful model for discounting future picks. What we can do pretty easily, however, is ask which team's picks are more valuable than which other teams', based on where they fall in the round. It's usually safe to assume that Sudbury will pick higher than London*, but just how much higher? To find out, I decided to compute every OHL team's average assigned draft slot since 2005. This is almost an exact inversion of the team's finish in the previous year's regular season standings (with exceptions being year-end ties in point totals and the fact that the four teams who miss the playoffs each year always receive the top four slots in the following draft).

Why start with 2005? Simply put, we're living in Mark Hunter's OHL. The 2004 Knights were arguably the league's first super-team, but the 2005 Knights remain the benchmark for OHL excellence to this day, and, perhaps more important, London's big deadline trades with Sarnia and Guelph that year touched off the deadline arms race-type activity we've seen in almost every season since. Since 2005, you've basically had to be a super-team to win the OHL**.

Obviously this data has its limits. Many teams have seen changes in management or shifts in organizational focus in the past twelve or even five years, and of course competitiveness in the OHL is cyclical, with most teams attempting to compete every four years or so. But I thought some people might be interested to see where their teams have been drafting over the past decade-plus and where they might expect any upcoming picks their team holds to fall.

Average OHL Draft Position Since 2005

Sudbury - 6.92
Peterborough - 7.25
Sarnia - 7.50
Kingston - 8.33
Erie - 9.08
Mississauga/Toronto - 9.17
Oshawa - 9.58
Hamilton/Belleville - 9.83
Windsor - 10.08
Saginaw - 10.25
Ottawa - 10.42
Owen Sound - 10.50
Sault Ste. Marie - 10.50
Guelph - 10.67
Niagara/Mississauga - 11.25
Flint/Plymouth - 11.33
North Bay/Brampton - 12.58
Barrie - 13.25
Kitchener - 13.92
London - 17.58

If you prefer a more immediate snapshot, here's the draft order since 2011 (effectively an arbitrary period; I just took the latter half of the data set):

Average OHL Draft Position Since 2011

Peterborough - 5.00
Sudbury - 6.83
Hamilton/Belleville - 8.00
Windsor - 8.33
Sarnia - 8.50
Mississauga/Toronto - 8.50
Saginaw - 9.33
Kingston - 9.67
Flint/Plymouth - 9.83
Ottawa - 10.50
Guelph - 10.50
Sault Ste. Marie - 10.83
Erie - 12.00
Niagara/Mississauga - 12.17
Kitchener - 12.17
Owen Sound - 12.50
North Bay/Brampton - 12.50
Barrie - 12.83
Oshawa - 13.17
London - 16.83

Most strikingly, we can see in the data that, over the last six years, the average Peterborough pick has landed almost twelve spots higher than the average London pick. Of course, every draft has its late-round surprises and early-round busts, but higher picks greatly increase a team's odds of having a successful draft. When you're talking about the 20th versus the 32nd pick in the draft, that's a hugely significant difference in expected pick value.

If anybody's interested in the full sortable table of draft orders or the standard deviation of the data sets, a Google document is available here. Feel free to use the data for anything you like, or let me know if you can think of any other good uses for it.

-------------------------

*London has not picked ahead of Sudbury (or Kingston, Peterborough or Sarnia) in the last 12 years.
**Or heroically defy the odds like the 2011 Hishon Sound Attack.

Last edited:

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010
The reason is this data is based on the assumption that the draft is based on a fair distribution of the talent available. Well it is true that teams will miss on players, the factual truth is that the OHL has a priority selection. Giving the team who selects a player priority over the other teams to recruit that player. So as the song goes the teams must balance the risks and reward if it is possible to recruit a selected player or the compensation package available for none reporting players. Along with the general risks if a player a hit or a miss.

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
When the Knights trade and acquire a number 2nd round picks from different teams, their order of selection
changes significantly. They hold those 2nd round picks of those teams who will project to finish low in the standings, and therefore will pick higher. They can then trade away their own 2nd round selections, since those will be much lower, and actually closer to 3rds. As the seasons conclude, some teams will naturally rise in their cycle, so those 2nd rounders become decreased in value. Predicting the cycles of the teams whose picks are held accurately, helps to distinguish the keepers from the tradeables.

Like any commodity, there are "futures" involved....much like corn, wheat, barley, canola, beef, pork, etc.,
Apparently, the Hunters have simply applied some well-known agricultural savvy, and translated it to their hockey operations. Another consideration is the "development cycle" of players. Some years there are drafts that are "deeper" than others, with multiple blue chip prospects available. Other years are leaner, so asset management with regard to the number of higher draft choices held becomes crucial.

Darn if this is beginning to sound like something from the pages of The Farmer's Almanac.:laugh:

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
One of the biggest factors that skews the draft order is kids that will not report and/or want to play for a certain team. Teams know this and normally avoid them when it is their turn to pick even though they may be BPA. This makes it hard to rate draft results year to year. And before someone jumps on here and says it is a "London thing" it goes on with every team - players quite often want to report to a team close to home or where another family member is playing already. The OHL draft cannot be compared by straight up numbers and results like you would with the pro leagues.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
When the Knights trade and acquire a number 2nd round picks from different teams, their order of selection
changes significantly. They hold those 2nd round picks of those teams who will project to finish low in the standings, and therefore will pick higher. They can then trade away their own 2nd round selections, since those will be much lower, and actually closer to 3rds. As the seasons conclude, some teams will naturally rise in their cycle, so those 2nd rounders become decreased in value. Predicting the cycles of the teams whose picks are held accurately, helps to distinguish the keepers from the tradeables.

Like any commodity, there are "futures" involved....much like corn, wheat, barley, canola, beef, pork, etc.,
Apparently, the Hunters have simply applied some well-known agricultural savvy, and translated it to their hockey operations. Another consideration is the "development cycle" of players. Some years there are drafts that are "deeper" than others, with multiple blue chip prospects available. Other years are leaner, so asset management with regard to the number of higher draft choices held becomes crucial.

Darn if this is beginning to sound like something from the pages of The Farmer's Almanac.:laugh:
Purple speaking of farmers and stuff do the Hunters really put the skins of Gm's they beat in trades on the barn door?:) This is a great post!

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
Hi Bobber. I've never been to the Hunter homestead, so I can not confirm if there are any skins hanging on their barn door. However, when one looks closely at how they've managed their usage and acquisition of 2nd round picks, one has to give them props for figuring this out and applying this so that they play within the rules. I guess, in a way, it does circumvent the intent of a priority based selection process, but if the team is consistantly competitive, they have to find ways and means to maintain that level. Every edge is useful, and this is just another example of shrewd management.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Hi Bobber. I've never been to the Hunter homestead, so I can not confirm if there are any skins hanging on their barn door. However, when one looks closely at how they've managed their usage and acquisition of 2nd round picks, one has to give them props for figuring this out and applying this so that they play within the rules. I guess, in a way, it does circumvent the intent of a priority based selection process, but if the team is consistantly competitive, they have to find ways and means to maintain that level. Every edge is useful, and this is just another example of shrewd management.

Purple I thought your analysis of how the Knights use the seconds was great. It shows how being descretionary in which 2nds round picks you use in trades be it your own or an opposing picks acquired adds value by allowing your team to draft a higher ranked prospects. Acquiring extra seconds puts a franchise in the game when high end players become available.

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
Thanks SFC. Looks like that took a bit of work.
You're welcome! It took a couple hours to compile, yeah.

Purple's analysis is spot-on. It wouldn't surprise me if the Knights have projections for where other teams' picks will fall even a few years down the line, based on historical trends and teams' expected performance going forward.

While we're discussing draft picks, does anyone have access to an updated list of teams' draft cupboards? There's some number crunching I'd like to do with that data if I can get my hands on it.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
You're welcome! It took a couple hours to compile, yeah.

Purple's analysis is spot-on. It wouldn't surprise me if the Knights have projections for where other teams' picks will fall even a few years down the line, based on historical trends and teams' expected performance going forward.

While we're discussing draft picks, does anyone have access to an updated list of teams' draft cupboards? There's some number crunching I'd like to do with that data if I can get my hands on it.
Punch on the Spits board has a link to it but you will have to go back and find it.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
So that one is pretty current? There was some debate on another thread about that. Either way, that layout is a comprehensive nightmare. Isn't there an IT guy with OCD on this forum that can throw that info into a more legible spreadsheet?

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
As evidenced this season, and many others previous, the disrepancy in performance becomes wider.

Part of this may be due to all those second round picks floating around, part due to foreign free agency. The second round pick situation has created a false currency in the league, many of these picks cannot be used right away.

One wonders at what point , if at all, there is enough stomach amongst the team owners to tweak the priority process to create more balance and essentially save them from themselves.

For example, setting a ceiling for second round assets, i.e. 4 years from today. So the youngest 2nd round pick today that could be traded would be 2021.

Limiting the number of foreign free agents on each team. i.e. two European imports, and five North American imports per roster. Any position.

Tightening the import definition . i. e. Foreign born players who play one year in North America and normally reside outside Canada, are classed as imports.

Allow American based teams more American born players on their roster.

Increasing roster size by one to encourage developing domestic talent.

Last edited:

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Lol ohl teams trading draft picks is just as bad as NHL teams trading draft picks it's like giving candy to a child

Not really.In 1989 The Leafs had (3) 1st Round Draft picks.#3,#12,#21 & could have drafted any of:

Guerin
Holik
Kolzig
Brisebois
Lidstrom
Draper

and some guy named Federov. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad