Northlands Coliseum likely to be demolished

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
City council has voted to permanently close the Coliseum, the former home of the Edmonton Oilers, which likely means the 40-year-old building will be demolished.

"I think we've all been bracing ourselves for the possibly for some months that this could lead to demolition," Mayor Don Iveson said Friday following the vote at a council meeting. "I think it's a notch closer to inevitable today."

Last December, a report to council said demolishing the building could cost the city between $15 million and $25 million.

The building was permanently closed that month.

Friday's vote made it legal and official.
Coliseum step closer to demolition, Edmonton city council decides | CBC News

Reactions: oilers'72

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Damn that’s kinda sad. I’m pretty young compared to the majority on hf but even I have a lot of great memories of Northlands/Rexall - most importantly my first time watching the Oilers ever.

I think the building will always have a special place in the hearts of Oilers fans even if it’s physically gone.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
They should turn that area into a shopping hub to make that LRT stop still have some use. 118 ave is still a rough area but it's slowly changing it's image with all the young families moving there.

Reactions: Aerrol

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Good. Maybe we can finally get rid of the stickied thread.
Dump that would cost to much to renovate and operate. Heck the adbestos removal alone would make it not worth doing anything with.

This way we'll save the 2 million per year owed to katz and the 1.5 per year in current operating costs.

My memories will be what i saw there. Not the ugly old building itself.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Took a drive around that area a couple days ago, it’s been a long time since I’ve been around there. Was shocked to see the Fireside restaurant was now a medical clinic and pharmacy. It had been a staple in that neighbourhood for decades. I grew up in that neighbourhood and it’s sad to see what it is now. Probably the most depressing area of the city. I think when they extended Capilano Drive (now Wayne Gretzky Drive) to the Yellowhead it isolated and crippled that whole area. The Oilers moving downtown finished it off. I think demolishing the Coliseum is probably the right way to go now. They’ll need that land to try to develop that area somehow, even still I bet it’ll take decades to make that area vibrant. It won’t be easy.

Reactions: Aerrol

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
This is on 118th and 75th from 1960, looking west. The entry at the front of where the Coliseum now stands is at the right, where the Hayward's sign was.

GetImage.axd

Reactions: Oscar Acosta

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I know I'm not from the city, but it is a hoarders mentallity to want to keep something that only has sentimental value to you (you meaning the hockey fans, myself included). We all have glorious memories of that place, but the city invested in this new arena for us, and it owes it to the non hockey fans to not spend millions a year to keep a memory running and falling apart, when the land could sold and used to help develop the area.

Demolishing the arena won't change the memories we have of it.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I hope they make it into affordable housing. While I have not been back to Edmonton for awhile, many of my friends have moved away as the cost of buying a house in Edmonton vs their wages--they ended buying outside of Edmonton and driving in to work

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
I hope they pluck a lot of items out there and put them up for sale! Seats, signs, etc

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
They already did auction off a ton of stuff, including the large oilers sign which fetched over 20k!

Wonder what happens to some of the other valuable things like the score-board? It's not exactly new any more, but I wonder if they could find buyers for four large video screens?
Ya I purchased some items from that auction. Won the huge McDavid picture that was in the dressing for the last season, autographed by him to. Was hoping to grab some more items once/if they go on sale

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
It served its purpose. I lamented a little about losing the Edmonton Gardens. But that also served its purpose.

Aww man I remember The Edmonton Gardens when I was a teen....I loved going there for Oilers WHA games! Loved going up to the 2nd deck behind the net to the top, only 2nd deck we had in that old dump, then realising you can't see the net on the other side of the ice because the old rack of lights were hanging in the way, LOL.

Reactions: oilers'72

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Aww man I remember The Edmonton Gardens when I was a teen....I loved going there for Oilers WHA games! Loved going up to the 2nd deck behind the net to the top, only 2nd deck we had in that old dump, then realising you can't see the net on the other side of the ice because the old rack of lights were hanging in the way, LOL.

I last went when the second incarnation of the Oil Kings were in town. Everyone was more interested in the Oilers being the new team in the NHL and there'd be like only one or two hundred at a game. At least I could get a nice freshly made burger with onions hot off the grill at intermission. The crowds were so bad that the playoff games were held in Lloydminster

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
It seems like the sensible choice, though it is sad. Lots of great memories there, and I miss how much more sound echoed in the Coliseum. But it's way too expensive to keep around for no real purpose.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think it would be better if they turned it into a hockey museum/retail space but kept the structure of the building intact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad