North Dakota Fighting Sioux (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
Six of the last seven Stanley Cup champions have featured a North Dakota alum, as TJ Oshie becomes the 12th UND alum to win the Cup (17 times) … his 21 points in 24 playoff games ranked fourth on the team, while he shared the team lead with six power-play goals. Shane Gersich also a Sioux alum became the 100th player to join the NHL & came to the team after finishing his junior year at UND and signed with the Washington Capitals after UND fell out of the playoffs.

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA
This is some ugly hockey right now
I don't have access to the games, but based on highlights I get the impression that the weak link is goaltending, and Thome in particular. Based on what you've seen, is that the extent of it, or are there other problems?

I'll admit I'm a little concerned at this point. I've felt their model is one based on contributions from blue chip talent that tends to leave for the pros before they finish their four years. Because the program has to lean so heavily on new talent every season, they typically have slow starts until the chemistry gels around early February or so, and then they get scary. This seems like a slower than usual start though, and the goals given up are often clean shots that simply beat Thome. They aren't often products of the other team finding passing seems that catch everyone out of position, which I think would be more indicative of that team chemistry needing more time to develop. I usually hesitate to blame the goalie (I used to be one) but this seems like a pretty isolated issue, and not one that can get fixed with time. Maybe this shows just how valuable Karl's services were to the goaltending corps?

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
EFFB6D57-8E1D-4880-8C84-FB702F811356.jpeg

Reactions: Interior Cascadian

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
Sioux dominated Wisconsin last night at the tune of 5-0. Shots were even but the game wasn’t. Gardner with the hatty. Freshman goalie Schell looks to be the real deal. Hopefully he’s a mainstay for the next 4 years. Need to come out on fire tonight like last night.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
I don't have access to the games, but based on highlights I get the impression that the weak link is goaltending, and Thome in particular. Based on what you've seen, is that the extent of it, or are there other problems?

I'll admit I'm a little concerned at this point. I've felt their model is one based on contributions from blue chip talent that tends to leave for the pros before they finish their four years. Because the program has to lean so heavily on new talent every season, they typically have slow starts until the chemistry gels around early February or so, and then they get scary. This seems like a slower than usual start though, and the goals given up are often clean shots that simply beat Thome. They aren't often products of the other team finding passing seems that catch everyone out of position, which I think would be more indicative of that team chemistry needing more time to develop. I usually hesitate to blame the goalie (I used to be one) but this seems like a pretty isolated issue, and not one that can get fixed with time. Maybe this shows just how valuable Karl's services were to the goaltending corps?
Thome May never see the ice again if Schell continues playing like he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad