North Dakota Fighting Sioux (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonk

May 18, 2007
Cincinnati
Nice wins over my Miami team in a pair of games that were tough to watch on this end. UND was the better team both nights, and while the officiating was truly awful on Friday, it didn't affect the outcome.

Great support from your fans at both games, which I'm sure comes as no surprise.

Miami has used youth as an excuse all year, but the Sioux have 19 freshmen and sophomores and are still faster and more skilled overall.

Tucker Poolman absolutely destroyed the RedHawks almost single-handedly in Game 2.

Good luck in the tournaments.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
Nice wins over my Miami team in a pair of games that were tough to watch on this end. UND was the better team both nights, and while the officiating was truly awful on Friday, it didn't affect the outcome.

Great support from your fans at both games, which I'm sure comes as no surprise.

Miami has used youth as an excuse all year, but the Sioux have 19 freshmen and sophomores and are still faster and more skilled overall.

Tucker Poolman absolutely destroyed the RedHawks almost single-handedly in Game 2.

Good luck in the tournaments.
This team has been a hard one to figure out this season. The weekend prior when UNO was at the Ralph they looked like a top 5 team Friday night. The next night which was senior night they looked like a bottom 5 team. Been like that pretty much all year although they did put a complete weekend against your boys. Good luck to your boys too.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
Sioux looked pretty good last night in their 5-2 opening game win over SCSU. Hope they can get it done tonight. The win moved them in a 3 way tie at 10 in the pairwise.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
Thrilling overtime win last night and the Siouxweep is complete. Game was tied 5 times. Up to 10 in the pairwise. Off to the Target Center next Friday where I am sure they are happy as hell the Sioux faithful will be there.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
Frozen Faceoff at the Target Center 3-17-17:

Western Michigan vs UMD 4:07 PM

UND vs DU 7:37 PM

3-18-17:

Third Place game is at 3:30 and Championship at 7:30.

Semi-Finals and finals on CBS Sports Network and third-place game on NCHC.TV.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
The best 60 minute game the Sioux played was last night against DU. End their 13 game winning streak and more importantly punch their ticket into the NCAA tourney. Playing their best hockey at the right time. 15 straight years to the big show. :nod:

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Crazy tough bracket. Scheels Arena is going to be loud once again like it was 2 years ago. Atmosphere then was through the roof.

It depends which OSU and BU show up. Neither has been consistent, but when they're on, whew-boy. NoDak seems to be hitting their stride right now and Duluth is Duluth. Should be some stellar hockey in Fargo:popcorn:

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
It depends which OSU and BU show up. Neither has been consistent, but when they're on, whew-boy. NoDak seems to be hitting their stride right now and Duluth is Duluth. Should be some stellar hockey in Fargo:popcorn:

That BU team is ridiculously stacked. Basically an All-Star team, but they're very young and, like you said, depends which version of them show up. I could see UND squeaking through them. Then a rematch with UMD as they can likely handle Ohio. I could see UND getting back to the Frozen Four.

Last edited:

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
Tough one to swallow. Going 0-6 on the powerplay can't happen in a one and done format. UND was still the superior team throughout. Outshoot them 59-29. Score 4-3 BU. That's hockey.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Tough one to swallow. Going 0-6 on the powerplay can't happen in a one and done format. UND was still the superior team throughout. Outshoot them 59-29. Score 4-3 BU. That's hockey.

I felt bad for you guys, NoDak should've taken that one. I guess puck luck can make or break a game.

Now that regional comes down to the lucky ones; Ohio State should've beat Duluth.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Great stuff.

Now hoping for announcement that NoDak will be joining the Big Ten.

Sorry, NCHC, but you will quickly add ASU, which could very quickly become a power with West Coast recruiting.

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
UND drops women's hockey and Tyson Jost signs with the Avs. Ouch on both accounts.

Jost will play for the Avs right off the bat, so that's no surprise. Neither is cutting women's hockey. The sport lost nearly $2M last year on its own. That's more than the budget cut the school asked athletics to make.

Outside of men's hockey, UND's athletic program is an ass-backwards mess.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
Jost will play for the Avs right off the bat, so that's no surprise. Neither is cutting women's hockey. The sport lost nearly $2M last year on its own. That's more than the budget cut the school asked athletics to make.

Their other sports are doing just fine. Mens basketball team was in the big dance and football team made the FCS playoffs. Things went well with the womens teams too. Let me guess you are a Bison fan.

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
I'd frankly like to see the loss in revenue UND has lost after the name change. I would also focus on EFT (credit/debit) cards in ZIP codes that are related to Sioux tribal areas.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016

Womens Hockey lost $2M last year? how is that possible? they average around 1,000 people a game which makes them one of the top teams in terms of attendance in NCAA Womens Hockey, if they are not able to keep their team, how do 95% of the other schools keep their teams?

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
Their other sports are doing just fine. Mens basketball team was in the big dance and football team made the FCS playoffs. Things went well with the womens teams too. Let me guess you are a Bison fan.

Says the guy with a Carson Wentz avatar...

Chris Klieman makes more in six months than Bubba Schweigert will make for the biennium. David Richman makes three times what Brian Jones makes. All four of those men are good coaches, but UND skimping on salaries will make it hard to retain their coaches if other mid-majors are looking for some fresh blood and make them equally difficult to replace.

UND's major programs aren't succeeding because of their resources; they're succeeding in spite of them, and they need to really commit to those programs and their coaches if they want to be competitive when they leave the Big Sky next summer. That says nothing of their non-revenue programs, which have dealt with equally-substandard coach pay AND awful facilities, despite UND's athletics programs getting way more institutional support (to the tune of about $2M) than NDSU's.

Womens Hockey lost $2M last year? how is that possible? they average around 1,000 people a game which makes them one of the top teams in terms of attendance in NCAA Womens Hockey, if they are not able to keep their team, how do 95% of the other schools keep their teams?

Shame on you for making me quote Rob Port, but since you asked...

And just to put an exclamation point on all this, let us look at the finances for the UND women’s hockey program for 2016. The document below, which comes by way of a lawmaker in Bismarck, shows that the had over $2.1 million in expenses in 2016 while generating just over $212,000 in revenue for a more than $1.9 million loss.

The loss is actually larger, too, because if you notice about $156,000 of the “revenue†for the program was subsidies from the university.

Link (mentioned document is at the bottom of the article)

More than a quarter of the team's costs were scholarships; another $400k+ for coaches, and then $350k+ for travel. No way the school could justify those costs.

As for why other programs can stay afloat, presumably either the institutional support isn't as much of a burden, or they have other sources of revenue to put into those programs (like Wisconsin and Minnesota, which are supposed to get something like $8M more in TV money in 2017-18).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad