North Bay Battalion 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
....wonder if Pu is hotdogging in this series down 2-1 not 3-1..though one can always hope

Last edited:

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
If the real deal explain why he struggled in January, February and March (including OHL Cup). He lost more games as a goalie in those months then any goalie who played in the GTHL?

He had 8 other players drafted on his team including 3 dman so the team had depth

losses isnt a goalie stat, its a team stat. if an ohl team liked him enough to draft him that high, they obviously see something in him that makes them think that they can mould him into a quality OHL goaltender. like i've said in the past, its not always what you are now, its what you are down the road. im sure i can find alot of quality ohl goalies that struggled in minor midget and became starters.

with goalies, its almost as much if not more about development as it is 'now'.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Verbetic is the real deal! Seen him play a lot!

i saw him at the ohl cup. im not a father in the age group but i have been going to the ohl cup for years, he looks like he has all the abilities to be a good ohl goalie, up to the player and the battalion to see if they can channel it in the right way.

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
Hope coach Butler is watching the NHL playoffs. Exciting hockey. How about them Vegas Knights. The " trap " is dead!!!!!

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
Hope coach Butler is watching the NHL playoffs. Exciting hockey. How about them Vegas Knights. The " trap " is dead!!!!!

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
Are you surprised?
He had a great 11 games in the playoffs and nothing really all year aside from that. Too bad because he showed so much promise in his 1st couple seasons in the O.

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
...trying to think of a Battalion(NB) first rounder that really took the league by storm....I like Coe but still waiting....for that matter an import player that led the team like Halifax seems to find......

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
...trying to think of a Battalion(NB) first rounder that really took the league by storm....I like Coe but still waiting....for that matter an import player that led the team like Halifax seems to find......

They would shine if they didn't have to play "the trap" or were given some PP time.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The Mooseheads are one of the CHL's premier franchises and Halifax is a beautiful city. They likely have a much better selection of players willing to commit to playing in their market. Comparing us to them is like comparing us to the London Knights. It's not like Butler hasn't been trying either. Chytil would've been one of the league's top scorers had he reported.

Last edited:

too_long

Oct 24, 2006
Battalion draft picks that are local players (Trappers) haven't played as well as other players in the first 2 games.
The local players may not be the solution for this team to improve and have success going beyond the 2nd round
Come and watch these games live and I doubt you will have a different opinion unless you are a parent or relative of the drafted players
Just guessing, but I imagine you are talking about the OHL Gold cup? No, I must be mistaken as Campbell was mvp in game one.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Battalion draft picks that are local players (Trappers) haven't played as well as other players in the first 2 games.
The local players may not be the solution for this team to improve and have success going beyond the 2nd round
Come and watch these games live and I doubt you will have a different opinion unless you are a parent or relative of the drafted players
One would assume the team has taken a larger contingent of local players simply due to the fact that finding quality commits has been difficult in years past. But one thing I've learned in the past several seasons watching junior hockey is to not put too much stock into a handful of games from a 15/16 year old. There is considerable development that occurs in the 17/18/19 year old seasons.

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
.....the crystal ball is out on the table tonite.......a good import comes to NBB ...#1 OHL draft commits...Kyle Mandleur comes to Battalion in hopes of improving draft possibilities....a quality OA is traded for early in the season...and parking lot gets graded..yes....things are looking good..

Reactions: howndawg

Poster man

May 5, 2015
Ontario
Home Opener Friday Sept 21 vs Hamilton at 7:00 pm.

The entire 2018-19 Ontario Hockey League regular season schedule will be released on Tuesday June 12.

Luke Burghardt will miss first 3 Games of 2018-19 season from playoff suspension.

GO TROOPS GO!

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
To Poster man re: Luke Burghardt

Not to be too nit-picky, but, LB25 is suspended for the first 2 games of the upcoming season and is eligible to return in Game 3. His suspension actually started in the last playoff game of 2018, the triple OT loss to Kgn.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Really surprised Struthers got passed over today as a first year eligible. His production after the trade was comparable to some of the guys going in the third and fourth rounds. Think he might've gotten a bit overlooked.

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
Really surprised Struthers got passed over today as a first year eligible. His production after the trade was comparable to some of the guys going in the third and fourth rounds. Think he might've gotten a bit overlooked.
More surprised at propp honestly, he appeared to be the real deal since coming over. Not surprised over struthers though, too poor of a skater on a dominant line inflated his numbers imo.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Import Draft is tomorrow morning. With two slots open, I think we're looking at two defensemen. Hopefully Stan stays away from the NHL draftees as he hasn't exactly had success getting them to commit.

Reactions: too_long

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Imports Postnov, Maier added – North Bay Battalion
NORTH BAY, Ont. – The North Bay Battalion took Russian forward Egor Postnov and Austrian defenceman David Maier in the Canadian Hockey League Import Draft, conducted Thursday via the Internet.
Left winger Postnov was selected with the 22nd overall pick after five teams ahead of the Battalion in the first round passed, their two-man import quotas full.
Postnov scored 17 goals and earned 12 assists for 29 points while accumulating 34 penalty minutes in 63 games with Stupino Capitan of the MHL, or Youth Hockey League, last season. The Moscow resident, who turned 18 on April 19, stands six feet and weighs 156 pounds.
“He’s a guy no different from a few of our players this year who were just off the (National Hockey League) Draft,” said Adam Dennis, one of two assistant general managers and an assistant coach with the Battalion, who registered the club’s picks because Stan Butler, director of hockey operations and head coach, was with the NHL’s Los Angeles Kings.
“He’s a winger who’s very skilled, likes to shoot the puck, and he goes to the net really hard,” Dennis said of Postnov. “He enjoys scoring goals, and I think he’s going to be fun to watch next year.”
The Troops tabbed Maier in the second round, 62nd overall although they held the 87th selection before passes by member clubs of the OHL, Quebec Major Junior Hockey League and Western Hockey League.
Maier, a right-shot rearguard, played last season at various levels with the Sodertalje SK under-18 team in Sweden, totaling six goals, 24 assists, 30 points and 45 penalty minutes in 40 games. Having turned 18 on Jan. 12, he stands five-foot-11 and weighs 156 pounds.
“David was a guy whom I actually came across through some mutual contacts while playing in Austria,” noted Dennis. “I was watching one of his former teammates at the under-20 by the name of Marco Rossi and just fell in love with David.
“I think he’s going to fit in really well with our system. He really likes to jump into the play. He’s a good skater, and I think he’s going to be a pleasant surprise in the second round.”

Yegor Postnov is listed as a defenseman on Eliteprospects and Central Scouting. So it looks like he's been a forward for one season switched from defense, if he's a forward at all. Scouting fail by someone.

David Maier sounds promising but his production in Sweden is much lower than Thilander's was despite being a year older than him when he came over.

Looking forward to see where they fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad