North Bay Battalion 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Listened to it and it sounded like it was all him in OT. Really sucks we don't get to see a Game Six but what a performance from those guys. Really looking forward to the team they bring here next season. We should be a force.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Congrats North Bay on a great Series & Season!
3rd Longest Game in OHL History

3mpbL9ZH_bigger.jpg
Geoffrey Brandow‏ @GeoffreyBrandow 3h3 hours ago

#OHLPlayoffs Longest games in @OHLHockey history
1) 3/20/90 - KGN 3 at BELV 4, 123:51
2) 3/28/09 - MISS 4 at BAR 3, 118:05
3) 3/31/18 - NB 5 at KGN 6, 114:05
4) 4/5/08 - KIT 3 at SAR 2, 111:30
5) 3/22/90 - OTT 2 at PBO 3, 108:51

Reactions: View from section 9

too_long

Oct 24, 2006
Good for John , not surprised , shouldn't be long before he is a head coach in the O.
If ownership had a clue , they would put the old, tired Butler on the GM only shelf and let John Dean coach.
Actually, I think he would be wise give you the job.

too_long

Oct 24, 2006
It would seem by your comments , that you are real close to the team , maybe so close that you are drinking to much of Butlers koolaid.
I am close, in the fact that I have been a season ticket holder since the start, have missed maybe 3 games in that period. I have thoroughly enjoyed the first 5 seasons, and could not imagine what the winters would be like without them. I know not everyone shares my opinion, and that's fine..I feel we are very fortunate to have them in our community.

I also understand that hockey is in our DNA.. and everyone has an opinion on how it should go. That is why I come to this board once in awhile, to discuss the troops.

I just find that the discussions on this board, usually lean toward negativity, which goes against my nature I guess.

Someone posts a positive post about John Dean getting an award. It immediately gets turned into a negative bashing of the owner, and then of course Stan. (ironically, two of the people who helped build his coaching resume)

Anyway just my two cents..looking forward to the draft on Saturday, and of course next season. If 17 is back, our top line will be one of the best in the league. Go Troops Go!

Reactions: Poster man

IceCube

Mar 20, 2014
Too_long... well said. I marvel at how positive most, certainly not all, Sudbury fans are on this board. They have had a miserable few or more than few years but they hang in and try and be positive. The Battalion last year, miss the playoffs for the first time in over a decade and they get ripped. Abbott, Butler and Co, just can't win with this group.

IF...Brazeau and Burkhardt are back as OA, a good Euro pick (or two), a few d-men step it up and with Propp in net, this team could very much be a force. I say, good bounce back NB, hopefully I am right.

I fully expect many negative comments from my positive post.

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
I am close, in the fact that I have been a season ticket holder since the start, have missed maybe 3 games in that period. I have thoroughly enjoyed the first 5 seasons, and could not imagine what the winters would be like without them. I know not everyone shares my opinion, and that's fine..I feel we are very fortunate to have them in our community.

I also understand that hockey is in our DNA.. and everyone has an opinion on how it should go. That is why I come to this board once in awhile, to discuss the troops.

I just find that the discussions on this board, usually lean toward negativity, which goes against my nature I guess.

Someone posts a positive post about John Dean getting an award. It immediately gets turned into a negative bashing of the owner, and then of course Stan. (ironically, two of the people who helped build his coaching resume)

Anyway just my two cents..looking forward to the draft on Saturday, and of course next season. If 17 is back, our top line will be one of the best in the league. Go Troops Go!
With all do respect , the owner signed John Deans pay cheque , and that's it , nothing more .
Do you actually think that John Dean won coach of the year using the " Butler system" ? if you do then I cant help you. It is well known that John couldn't wait to get away from Butler ( along with the players that asked for trades last year) and do his own thing , which proved to be a great move.
Lastly, I stand by my comment , that John would be a great bench boss for any OHL team , including the Troops, which could use a youthful/current bench boss.

Reactions: Gr8northscout

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
People with the idea that an 'offensive-minded' coach would pay dividends in this market needs to look at the talent other teams have over us consistently. We made the Finals in year one implementing a system that could stifle the offense of other, more talented offensive teams. Regardless of the coach, that's always going to be a significant hurdle between us and a championship.

I don't know for certain but if we choose to go shot for shot with some of those teams, we'd get caved in quite often.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I’m pretty sure Butler never keeps OA imports right?
I think he said in an interview that Thilander isn't coming back.

I'm not exactly sure if he knows they can have one. Because considering their track record at the import draft getting commits, I think keeping him next season would be a smart move. Are you even going to find a better OA defenseman elsewhere?

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
I think he said in an interview that Thilander isn't coming back.

I'm not exactly sure if he knows they can have one. Because considering their track record at the import draft getting commits, I think keeping him next season would be a smart move. Are you even going to find a better OA defenseman elsewhere?
With the loss of Bruce and Saban I feel like Thilander could provide great leadership on the read end and he had a fairly good season.

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
Question for NB fans, How was Nick King for you guys this year?
He skates well however is often easily beat cleanly on the rush, makes bad decisions on dump-ins and loves to blindly pass to the opposing dman from his own end.

Watch the Kingston 3rd goal in game 5 to make the score 4-3 North Bay a great example of his ineffectiveness, he got the 'Blue Bayou award' on that one. I get that he didn't play much in OS but I expected much more from him. I could see King being the #7 guy next year or traded if anyone wants him.

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
Butler is nominated for Coach of the year and brazeau for most outstanding player
68 game schedule
North Bay
30 wins
21 in regulation
.308 winning percentage in regulation
Team did well at generating points for overtime and shoot out W and L. Effective Coaching style to generate points for both W and L after regulation. Play for a tie, take the L point and see what happens. Excellent Goaltender gets you extra points after that.

Ottawa 30 wins, 22 in regulation .323 winning percentage in regulation, finished below in standings.
Peterborough had 18 wins in reg and Coach was dismissed.
Nomination is a nod to the commitment to the style of coaching, and its effectiveness at generating points in the standings.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He skates well however is often easily beat cleanly on the rush, makes bad decisions on dump-ins and loves to blindly pass to the opposing dman from his own end.

Watch the Kingston 3rd goal in game 5 to make the score 4-3 North Bay a great example of his ineffectiveness, he got the 'Blue Bayou award' on that one. I get that he didn't play much in OS but I expected much more from him. I could see King being the #7 guy next year or traded if anyone wants him.
King looks poised to be a top four option next season considering he's the most offensively gifted defenseman returning next season. All dependant on where Braden Handerson and Simon Rose are in terms of their development next fall. But I see King being a big part of the defense for the first part of the regular season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad