North Bay Battalion 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
Without a doubt, for 2 periods, the most B-O-R-I-N-G, midget calibre hockey game I've seen in 5 years!!! 1 shot on goal every 4-5 minutes. I was heading for the exit after 2 but settled for a bag of popcorn.

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
With all the goal tender issues since smitty left, you gotta wonder how Colton Point gets drafted to Erie and the Troops don't draft him ?
Played midget right in their back yard @ West Ferris , a good 6 min drive from Master Butlers office. Not saying he ever would have reported , but at least take a damn flyer on him from round 10 to 15 . Just another head scratcher from the scouting staff ( or lack) of it.
Hockey Canada thinks he is top 4 in all of the Country. Impressive !!

North Bay product to vie for spot on Canada’s World Junior team - BayToday.ca

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Without a doubt, for 2 periods, the most B-O-R-I-N-G, midget calibre hockey game I've seen in 5 years!!! 1 shot on goal every 4-5 minutes. I was heading for the exit after 2 but settled for a bag of popcorn.
I have no issues with boring hockey if we ultimately end up with the W. We don't have the horses to play the run and gun game against that Steelheads roster. I'm amazed they're on a seven game losing streak with the talent they have.

hardclimate

Jan 7, 2015
Wrong but a decent effort. They don't have the horses to match the Soo but the game wasn't totally out of reach.

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
Wrong but a decent effort. They don't have the horses to match the Soo but the game wasn't totally out of reach.
Yes they played a good road game against a good home team Sime played awesome for a little guy he played really big they almost tied it up in the 3rd until the empty netter

Last edited:

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
Another very solid win. Hate to see this turn into something that it most likely is not. Do what you can but move the pieces that need to be moved.

Greatger

May 11, 2007
Always amazes me how the teams in the West division never really have a rebuilding year. They are competitive year after year after year. While the East struggles year after year after year.

howndawg

Jan 24, 2009
The draft is the key. N Bay have been terrible in this regard. What are their scouts looking at????. Not much sense selling for picks til that situation is fixed. I believe that Sam Carrick was the last 1st pick to get drafted in his draft year. That's like 9 years ago!!

hardclimate

Jan 7, 2015
Coach Butler is often berated for not making the trades that some fans think he should be making but as he explained on his Cogeco show last night, players can have a no-trade clause in their contract with the team. As an example he said that in the past he received frequent offers for both Jake Smith and Mike Amadio but that both players exercised their right to refuse a trade, saying they preferred to stay here. So, while he takes criticism for not moving someone like Cam Dineen, it could be that Cam just doesn’t want to go.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Always amazes me how the teams in the West division never really have a rebuilding year. They are competitive year after year after year. While the East struggles year after year after year.

Erie & Windsor will need a rebuild. Saginaw had a very long one, Guelph - 2nd last & last, last two years, Flint is in year two or three of major rebuild, Kitchener & OS had theirs...Soo soon enough imo

It’s hard for the east to catch up, in part, because better western conference teams miss the playoffs guaranteeing top four pick.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Coach Butler is often berated for not making the trades that some fans think he should be making but as he explained on his Cogeco show last night, players can have a no-trade clause in their contract with the team. As an example he said that in the past he received frequent offers for both Jake Smith and Mike Amadio but that both players exercised their right to refuse a trade, saying they preferred to stay here. So, while he takes criticism for not moving someone like Cam Dineen, it could be that Cam just doesn’t want to go.
Frustrating nonetheless. IMO it's your job as a GM to coax these guys to do what's best for both them and the team. If Amadio was traded, he was going to a Memorial Cup contender. These deadline deals are intended to be beneficial for the player's development prior to going professional.

I'm not saying trade Cam today. I'd like to see us ring off a few more wins before the deadline before we see anyone shipped out, but if we're sitting here with Dineen and McKenzie on the roster in February eeking into the final playoff spot, we're not in a preferred scenario looking forward.

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
Great game by the troops, shame I had gotten stuck infront of some piss poor fans who felt the need to consistently curse at the steelheads, my little brother did not need to hear Owen Tippet being called a “p***y”. It’s shame that people treat kids playing for their dreams like this.

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
...as soon as I hear a loudmouth...I move....not worth the aggravation...I suspect you are a visitor just following the team on a short road trip/afternoon, holiday game...there are normal fans but I have heard near the bench there are some idiots....score would not put you in good humour either...

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
...as soon as I hear a loudmouth...I move....not worth the aggravation...I suspect you are a visitor just following the team on a short road trip/afternoon, holiday game...there are normal fans but I have heard near the bench there are some idiots....score would not put you in good humour either...
No No I’m from in town just a shame for our fan base to have bad apples like this, could only imagine what a visitor would think

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
Really had to bite my tongue, no reason to be swearing at players and talking bad about to volunteers that have asked you to stop heckling the benches, especially when these people were old enough “definitely 30’s” that should know better. Just disgraceful and disgusting. Was a great game but enjoyment ruined by other people

H0CKEY17

Sep 1, 2017
Great game by the troops, shame I had gotten stuck infront of some piss poor fans who felt the need to consistently curse at the steelheads, my little brother did not need to hear Owen Tippet being called a “*****”. It’s shame that people treat kids playing for their dreams like this.

That's the North Bay Battalion way... Last game I attended was Thanksgiving. The comments from fans were embarassing. I don't need to expose my daughter to classless people.

I love hockey and enjoy sitting amongst fans but its easier to just watch the games on tv... Or do the drive to watch them play in Sudbury.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
According to the Twitter page that shall not be named.....

Hopefully we're able to snag a half decent OA replacement up front in his place. I wonder what the return could be. His play this season hasn't been over impressive for an NHL prospect who had a strong camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad