North Bay Battalion 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
For your information, I have been going to the games that I want to see. If they catered to the requests season ticket holder's made, they might get more of them. But that's another story.
My comments are my opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own. It just seems that mine are a lot more realistic !!

a realist posts both positive and negative opinions. i think everyone has seen your negative posts, even when they where in the finals, havent seen the positive ones yet...

Greatger

May 11, 2007
a realist posts both positive and negative opinions. i think everyone has seen your negative posts, even when they where in the finals, havent seen the positive ones yet...
Very simple solution to your (their) problem. Don't read my posts !!!! Duh

Reactions: Patverbeek

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Very simple solution to your (their) problem. Don't read my posts !!!! Duh

im just taking your posts at face value. you said your a realist. i believe you. i see alot of negative posts, but realists post both sides, so im curious what the positives are.

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
scouting after the draft is done is always way easier ;)
yes, but North Bay has a tradition of their 1st rounders having a great rookie season then fade off into the sunset. Scouting before the draft to project the long term growth of a player is what the good scouts/teams do. N Bay has failed in that department.

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
easy to say make this comparison at this point..last year when mcmaster had a good rookie season with 25pts dont think anyone was questioning this particular comparison. however to be fair, at #13 i think he went a tad high for me...where he played is irrelevent unless you just wish to take all local guys it depends on whats available when your pick comes up..every team has a northern guy thats sees as much local as any team scout on north bay
McMaster done what all 1st rounders do their first year here , and Forhan taken ahead of Giroux is laughable , where he played is relevant , because he played games in N Bay, Butler could have drove 5 min to watch him even if his northern scout watched him.
Scouting and selection is critical ......this just another example of N Bay getting it wrong again.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
yes, but North Bay has a tradition of their 1st rounders having a great rookie season then fade off into the sunset. Scouting before the draft to project the long term growth of a player is what the good scouts/teams do. N Bay has failed in that department.

im no scout, but usually its harder to make the calls on players post draft then before draft. with all due respect, i didnt see anyone saying player A was better then player b before the draft, so its easy to sit back now and say something. plus, north bay has guys drafted in the 10th-15th round, headlined by brazeau and dineen, that are doing well. you can complain about one side, but the depth picks are pretty solid. windsor hasnt had a guy drafted after the 10th round make the team and score more then a handful of points in 10 years.

im sure it could be better, but they also have success, i dont get the complaining without acknowledging the success that they have.

Greatger

May 11, 2007
im just taking your posts at face value. you said your a realist. i believe you. i see alot of negative posts, but realists post both sides, so im curious what the positives are.
Brazeau & Dineen are great

Greatger

May 11, 2007
McMaster done what all 1st rounders do their first year here , and Forhan taken ahead of Giroux is laughable , where he played is relevant , because he played games in N Bay, Butler could have drove 5 min to watch him even if his northern scout watched him.
Scouting and selection is critical ......this just another example of N Bay getting it wrong again.
Nothing will change or get better until Butler is gone......PERIOD !

Reactions: H0CKEY17

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

there we go! positivity!

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
Stan was not stuck on stupid when his team went to finals and conference finals......out of playoffs is when it seems to have started....

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
im no scout, but usually its harder to make the calls on players post draft then before draft. with all due respect, i didnt see anyone saying player A was better then player b before the draft, so its easy to sit back now and say something. plus, north bay has guys drafted in the 10th-15th round, headlined by brazeau and dineen, that are doing well. you can complain about one side, but the depth picks are pretty solid. windsor hasnt had a guy drafted after the 10th round make the team and score more then a handful of points in 10 years.

im sure it could be better, but they also have success, i dont get the complaining without acknowledging the success that they have.
Please do some research on N Bay's past 3 drafts before you tell us how it is, the fact is that their top 5 round picks very seldom work or are not even on the team now.
One of the reasons the late picks make the team here is that the top picks are useless. example, Walker, Robert and Baker taken 10 to 15 rounds, but Ball ( 3rd r) was cut.
Dineen played the NCAA card back then, everyone knows he went late because of that .
Today the Troops are in last place again, if you don't think that bad drafting is a huge part of that, then I cant help you.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Please do some research on N Bay's past 3 drafts before you tell us how it is, the fact is that their top 5 round picks very seldom work or are not even on the team now.
One of the reasons the late picks make the team here is that the top picks are useless. example, Walker, Robert and Baker taken 10 to 15 rounds, but Ball ( 3rd r) was cut.
Dineen played the NCAA card back then, everyone knows he went late because of that .
Today the Troops are in last place again, if you don't think that bad drafting is a huge part of that, then I cant help you.

may have played the ncaa card, still have to sell the system and get him committed. credit where credit is due.

my only point is that drafting is hard, im no scout but the fact that they have late rotund guys on the roster and doing well says they are not awful. it’s easy for you to look now with answers, not so much at the time. it looks like some guys work, some not, but let’s be fair and look at all sides, not just the complaints.

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
may have played the ncaa card, still have to sell the system and get him committed. credit where credit is due.

my only point is that drafting is hard, im no scout but the fact that they have late rotund guys on the roster and doing well says they are not awful. it’s easy for you to look now with answers, not so much at the time. it looks like some guys work, some not, but let’s be fair and look at all sides, not just the complaints.
AGAIN go back and research the top 5 picks in the last 3 drafts . NO team can miss on their top 3 picks in every draft to have any hope of being a contender.
The few late picks that work out mean nothing if you don't have your 1st,2nd or 3rd rounder playing for 4 years. not to mention trading some of those pick away before the draft.

Reactions: cub and Finster8

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009

Don't feel bad Barclay Branch and company including Ken MacKenzie who lives in Sudbury couldn't see past their own noses and skipped by Giroux and Gilhula. Giroux played a high level of hockey all year round for years if anyone would have done their homework. Still disgusted that they didn't take best local product that draft year with their second pick. He scores, backchecks, skates well, highly skilled, great playmaker, excellent puckhandling, good in tight and fast! The bonus his family and friends would brought in 10-20 fans a game. No brainer! So bad Northbay missed him and even worse Sudbury did.

WJ

H0CKEY17

Sep 1, 2017
I don't know if there's a glitch but looking at North Bay Roster, Purboo is no longer showing but Woroniuk is back on the list.
Am I missing something? I thought he was released.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I’ll agree with the poster that stated scouting with hind sight is easy. Those of us that watched Giroux play pee-wee to minor midget knew he was an OHL player. Some of us thought Moskal was going to be an even better OHL player.
But, 20 OHL GMs and their scouts agreed that Giroux was not a 2nd round pick at the time of the draft.

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
I don't know if there's a glitch but looking at North Bay Roster, Purboo is no longer showing but Woroniuk is back on the list.
Am I missing something? I thought he was released.

Card management, Purboo sent back Woroniuk brought in till Propp is back playing. No additional cards or roster spots used.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Three of the next four are against divisional rivals they're battling against for that 8th seed. Lose those ones and they can start shopping those rentals. Unfortunate for him to get hurt--It was nice to get Propp but it may have been a bit too late.

Battalion Fan

Oct 12, 2017
I really think it's time for a new Coach.I know Stan has been in this league for a long time,but it's obvious that his "systems "are old and tired.He continally says the same thing when he gets interviewed about needing to get a solid effort for 60 minutes and we need are veterans to step up,and it's getting old.Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Reactions: H0CKEY17

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
..when your defensive top 2 out of 4 is wretched your goaltending shows up as weak no matter what....Lyles ice time is not being taken up by some d....rose and allaire should be in there more...lose with developing young guys...OA and euros are hurting us too

Greatger

May 11, 2007
Question of the day:
“If” they don’t make the playoffs again this year, will Abbott pull the plug on Butler ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad