OT: Non-Stars Hockey Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010

Pretty good deal for them, considering how he's been used this season.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Krejci out for 6 weeks.

Bruins are just out of luck this season.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Not that I wish bad on any team, but if there is one team in the NHL I like seeing fail its the Bruins. Wish it wasnt due to injury though. Doesn't even have anything to do with seguin bashing, just always had an irrational disdain for them.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
That's what happens when you sign UFA years.

Boychuk's deal is going to be insane, whether it's from the Isles or someone else.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Huge deal for Leddy, that's ridiculous.

Jiri Sekac to the Ducks for DSP. That's an interesting trade right there.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Patrick Kane went down awkwardly into the boards, might be injured, not sure of his status. He's done for tonight, though.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
The Leafs have made a number of really nice moves this year with the Winnik and Franson/Santorelli trades being the most recent examples. If they can somehow manage to deal Phanuef and get a good return, then Nonis will have pulled of an incredible years worth of transition, but still be a likely candidate to be fired.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Winnik at 50% for Sill, a 2nd, and a 4th. Great haul for Toronto.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Sekera to LA for a Cond. 1st (2015 if LA makes the playoffs, 2016 if they don't) and Roland McKeown.

That's a hefty price to pay for Sekera, but it seems likely that he re-signs with LA. Gaborik last year, Sekera this. If they can secure a playoff spot, they'll definitely be a favorite to win it all again.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Tlusty to Winnipeg for a 3rd and cond. 6th.

Bergenheim and a 7th to Minnesota for a 3rd.

Based on these prices, Cole should be able to get a 2nd.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Oh, and LA re-signs Kyle Clifford for 5 years at $1.600M per. That's some crazy term for a 4th liner.

*Bob Richards*

Sekera to LA for a Cond. 1st (2015 if LA makes the playoffs, 2016 if they don't) and Roland McKeown.

That's a hefty price to pay for Sekera, but it seems likely that he re-signs with LA. Gaborik last year, Sekera this. If they can secure a playoff spot, they'll definitely be a favorite to win it all again.

I'd have loved to take a shot at him but the Rangers don't believe in 1sts lol.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
WOW, CBJ trades Horton to TOR for Clarkson straight up.

Explanation - Horton's contract was uninsured, so CBJ was having to pay him no matter what. They moved him for Clarkson so that they're at least paying someone to play, and who knows, maybe he can turn it around there.

Toronto opens up just under $6.000M in cap space with this move, and for them, paying Horton is nothing.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
WOW, CBJ trades Horton to TOR for Clarkson straight up.

Explanation - Horton's contract was uninsured, so CBJ was having to pay him no matter what. They moved him for Clarkson so that they're at least paying someone to play, and who knows, maybe he can turn it around there.

Toronto opens up just under $6.000M in cap space with this move, and for them, paying Horton is nothing.

I suppose that makes sense, but holy cow, that's a lot of term left on Clarkson (2020) and he's scored 26 points in 118 games. But sure, they are indeed getting a hockey player who can play some hockey.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I suppose that makes sense, but holy cow, that's a lot of term left on Clarkson (2020) and he's scored 26 points in 118 games. But sure, they are indeed getting a hockey player who can play some hockey.

Doubt they were gonna get anything better than Clarkson for Horton's contract.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Doubt they were gonna get anything better than Clarkson for Horton's contract.

What surprises me is why LA didn't offer Richards. One would think that he would be slightly more palatable than Clarkson given that he is $5 million dollars cheaper over the term of his contract (also probably a better player). That would mean that either Jarmo doesn't know how to do math or LA didn't want to trade Richards for Horton. Perhaps the Kings are not as much of a big budget team as I had assumed.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Perhaps the Kings are not as much of a big budget team as I had assumed.

LA may not be able to basically throw away $30 million like Toronto can, that would be my guess as well.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
LA may not be able to basically throw away $30 million like Toronto can, that would be my guess as well.

Well, we've found another rich team loophole in the cap system. I hate seeing Toronto be able to buy their way out of a mistake and a small market team forced into taking their mistake on the chin.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Well, we've found another rich team loophole in the cap system. I hate seeing Toronto be able to buy their way out of a mistake and a small market team forced into taking their mistake on the chin.

Agreed. Wouldn't doubt there'll be a rule change sometime in the future that prevents a move like this from happening again.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
On the topic of creative accounting, with Kane on LTIR the Blackhawks are free to replace his cap hit (6.5 million) in any way they want. They could theoretically acquire Vermette and still have an extra couple million to add something else. Then once the playoffs start, they could activate Kane as the playoffs are not subject to the salary cap. I wonder if Chicago will try to take advantage of this. Kane's injury should run into the second round of the playoffs, so its hardly an advantage, but I wonder if a team would try something in the future, perhaps in a more duplicitous manner. It would almost be enough to give Gary Bettman an aneurysm.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
On the topic of creative accounting, with Kane on LTIR the Blackhawks are free to replace his cap hit (6.5 million) in any way they want. They could theoretically acquire Vermette and still have an extra couple million to add something else. Then once the playoffs start, they could activate Kane as the playoffs are not subject to the salary cap. I wonder if Chicago will try to take advantage of this. Kane's injury should run into the second round of the playoffs, so its hardly an advantage, but I wonder if a team would try something in the future, perhaps in a more duplicitous manner. It would almost be enough to give Gary Bettman an aneurysm.

There are rumors of Chicago being close to making a deal. Could be this.

That's definitely an interesting idea to think about, and something Stan Bowman would probably be all over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad