Non-Sharks Bay Area Sports Thread XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
So Jimmy Garrapolo to the 9ers. You just know he's going to follow the long line of Brady-backups who looked good in limited action in the Pats' system and then go full pumpkin once they have to actually lead a team.

DrFeelgood

Chairman Meow
May 8, 2006
San Jose, CA
Brissett has not been bad with Indy so far. I don't think he's a world beater or anything but he's better than those other guys except maybe Cassel who was serviceable for a few years.

I like the trade personally. We already have 2 2nd round picks and he is a free agent after this year so it gives us the rest of this season to evaluate him and see if he's worth any sort of payday. He's younger than Cousins too and will likely be a lot cheaper, so it will be easier to build a team around him as well. I also think the Niners won't be competitive for a few years anyway when we start getting towards the back end of Cousins' prime.

My only fear is that he's going to get eaten alive behind the Niners' porous offensive line and people will freak out when he doesn't set the world on fire right out of the gates.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
So Jimmy Garrapolo to the 9ers. You just know he's going to follow the long line of Brady-backups who looked good in limited action in the Pats' system and then go full pumpkin once they have to actually lead a team.
Granted I don't watch a lot of football, but I don't understand how this move makes sense for the 49ers. Garrapolo won't be able to save their season, they have so many other needs. I'd probably prefer to have that pick back and hope they can draft and develop.

DrFeelgood

Chairman Meow
May 8, 2006
San Jose, CA
Granted I don't watch a lot of football, but I don't understand how this move makes sense for the 49ers. Garrapolo won't be able to save their season, they have so many other needs. I'd probably prefer to have that pick back and hope they can draft and develop.

He's only 25, they're basically using a 2nd round pick to draft and develop him. It's not a "win now" move in the slightest, it is a lost season and everyone knows it. He will probably start after the bye week in a few weeks and they will use the rest of the season to evaluate what they have. The team is reportedly not high on any of the QBs coming out in this years draft and they're going to have to do something about the position sooner rather than later and build the team around him.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I like how Brian Hoyer was basically part of the trade but not. Pats didn’t want his current contract so I’m sure there was an unspoken agreement about releasing him after Garappolo was acquired.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I like how Brian Hoyer was basically part of the trade but not. Pats didn’t want his current contract so I’m sure there was an unspoken agreement about releasing him after Garappolo was acquired.
Didn't they do something like that last year.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
CH68s6gVEAAMLmf.jpg

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
A's trade Ryon Healy away because he had too much talent.

Can't have that now can we? #Moneyball

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
A's trade Ryon Healy away because he had too much talent.

Can't have that now can we? #Moneyball
Where's he gonna play? Chapman has 3rd. Olson has 1st. Word is they're looking for a lf to move Khris Davis to dh. Add the fact Healy doesn't walk and was garbage the entire 2nd half.

They got a very solid bullpen arm and a prospect for a guy who wasn't in their plans. It was a good deal.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Are the Giants still in on Stanton?

Last I heard, the front office are in talks with his agent.

All the evidence suggests that they are still in but this meeting is to find out if he'd waive his trade clause to go to San Francisco. If Stanton is willing to do so, the Giants will probably be the lead candidate to acquire him so long as they're willing to eat practically all of the contract. Teams like St. Louis and Los Angeles won't so far as I can tell but it doesn't mean anything if Stanton refuses to go there which would be understandable given what AT&T does to the value of hitters and their ability to make money. lol

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
All the evidence suggests that they are still in but this meeting is to find out if he'd waive his trade clause to go to San Francisco. If Stanton is willing to do so, the Giants will probably be the lead candidate to acquire him so long as they're willing to eat practically all of the contract. Teams like St. Louis and Los Angeles won't so far as I can tell but it doesn't mean anything if Stanton refuses to go there which would be understandable given what AT&T does to the value of hitters and their ability to make money. lol
Aaaaaah. Okay!

Heard it might take Panik + Beede + Shaw and eat $250M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad