Non-Sharks Bay Area Sports Thread XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrFeelgood

Chairman Meow
May 8, 2006
San Jose, CA
Not really. Giants had a great run, but are in bad shape now. Too many bad contracts to rebuild and not enough in the minors to get good soon.

I think if they could improve their pitching and get a bat that can play the outfield at a reasonable level, they would be fine. Posey is their best hitter and it's miles before anyone else in the lineup is close to him, so he has no protection. Pence is on a steep decline and LF is just a huge void right now. They also weren't helped by getting a bunch of injuries, specifically to Bumgarner, this year either.

I think they still have a chance to be reasonably competitive but I don't think they will be definitive WS caliber.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Do you think they’ll shell out money for J.D. Martinez or Justin Upton (assuming he opts out)? I think they’ll get one of them, especially since Pence’s contract is up after next year.

And like Clowe Me said, their prospect pool isn’t good. It is among the worst in the league off the top of my head.

Grave

Mondo Cool
Jun 23, 2009
Northern California
Some thoughts on Football and Basketball -

49ers
Defense
Deforest Buckner is awesome
Foster - Hopefully he isn't injury prone
Bowman - Bowman gone be Bowman he gets it done
Defensive Backs - Abysmal

There is nothing to really talk about on offense. The 49ers have good tackles and a decent running back but devoid of talent elsewhere.

Kings
Hopefully fox can play like this all year

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Not Nor-Cal sports, but the U.S. did not make the World Cup next year. That is pathetic. They couldn't even beat Trinidad and Tobago, who had one win in nine matches in the qualifying before tonight.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
The Warriors, Rockets, Spurs, and Thunder are gonna beat each other up while the Cavs sleepwalk their way to the finals again. Their only potential threat Boston just lost Hayward.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
The Warriors, Rockets, Spurs, and Thunder are gonna beat each other up while the Cavs sleepwalk their way to the finals again. Their only potential threat Boston just lost Hayward.

I know a decent amount about the NBA, but I don't care to watch it really. LeBron would be a fool to leave the eastern conference. He basically gets a free ride to the finals every year. Plus, if he re-signs with the Cavs, he could get one of those $40M+ per year contracts.

The east is so bad. I saw a stat where over the last five years, you only needed 38 wins to make the playoffs in the east on average.

Minnesota could surprise people too.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Their minor league system is awful. I think it’s a lot more likely they get J.D. Martinez (or Justin Upton if he opts out).
The main thing the Giants can offer Florida is money. Florida doesn't want to retain anything on Stanton, and the Giants are not afraid to pay. Their minor league system is garbage though, and has been for years. I have no idea how they'll try to pull it off, but they're definitely going for it. There are no circumstances in which Justin Upton will sign with the Giants. He has said on numerous occasions that he hates hitting at AT&T. J.D. Martinez is probably the most realistic possibility. The Giants have so many problems though, I don't know if they can fix them all in one offseason.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
The main thing the Giants can offer Florida is money. Florida doesn't want to retain anything on Stanton, and the Giants are not afraid to pay. Their minor league system is garbage though, and has been for years. I have no idea how they'll try to pull it off, but they're definitely going for it. There are no circumstances in which Justin Upton will sign with the Giants. He has said on numerous occasions that he hates hitting at AT&T. J.D. Martinez is probably the most realistic possibility. The Giants have so many problems though, I don't know if they can fix them all in one offseason.

I didn't know that about Upton. I think it's highly unlikely that J.D. Martinez goes back to Arizona, so I think he has to be near the top of the Giants' wish list. Pence's contract is up after 2018, so they'll have a lot of money off the books after next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad