Non-Hockey Sports Thread XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Baseball is the biggest crapshoot anyway.

Is our "can't miss" 2nd overall pick hitting over .200 yet?

I think he might be! Like .201, or something.

As someone who's son is a player who is looking at playing college ball, it's quite an education what scouts look at. The measurables are everything...it's becoming like football.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
I think he might be! Like .201, or something.

As someone who's son is a player who is looking at playing college ball, it's quite an education what scouts look at. The measurables are everything...it's becoming like football.

Eh, it depends on the scout. Measurables are not everything to them and if they are, they're not much of a scout. You need to have an eye for the game if you want to find talent.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017

Yes. I guess. Our Front Office hasn't even been in their offices yet for a year...I'll give them a chance (or two or three). But to take this club from from where they were at this time last year to this point this year is a helluva first step..

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Yes. I guess. Our Front Office hasn't even been in their offices yet for a year...I'll give them a chance (or two or three). But to take this club from from where they were at this time last year to this point this year is a helluva first step..

I have faith in Falvey to get pitchers developed.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i have on video tape the twins pounding the tigers like 24-7. i cant believe there wasnt 28 hits in that game. im happy in rounds 3-8 the twins drafted 4 of 6 picks were pitchers.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market

Yes. People complaining don't know much about the mlb established budget limits. This happens to every team and they make considerations at every slot. Houston did the same with Correa and now they have a superstar and we have a 2nd overall that struggles to hit .200.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I give MLB teams/scouts a lot of credit, 40 rounds of drafting every season. That's over 1200 kids selected on a yearly basis. At what point are they just picking names out of a hat? :help:

Add on to the Rule 5 draft and international signings. That is a lot of scouting at all levels of baseball.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
I give MLB teams/scouts a lot of credit, 40 rounds of drafting every season. That's over 1200 kids selected on a yearly basis. At what point are they just picking names out of a hat? :help:

Add on to the Rule 5 draft and international signings. That is a lot of scouting at all levels of baseball.

Alot actually. I've played with and against guys drafted all over the draft and guys who've made it to the big leagues (some done very very well). I played against a kid who was taken in the 40th round who legitimately is one of the most average baseball players I've ever seen. I won't discuss names but he was taken by Cleveland. He'll never even play minor league ball.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
On the whole the Twins nailed this draft. Don't have time to expound on that right now, but I'm very happy with the result.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Alot actually. I've played with and against guys drafted all over the draft and guys who've made it to the big leagues (some done very very well). I played against a kid who was taken in the 40th round who legitimately is one of the most average baseball players I've ever seen. I won't discuss names but he was taken by Cleveland. He'll never even play minor league ball.

Yeah jeez, it's almost gotta be. a 40 round draft is ridiculous. I'd think that after like round 10 it's just a whole lot of guessing.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
The later rounds is when you get family members (nephew, son, grandson) and friends of someone in the organization. It's good PR and makes a family/employees happy.

Plus it worked once with Piazza (62!!! round pick), so it could happen again.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Floyd tests positive for alcohol during his house arrest. I think that experiment is likely over before it had a chance to begin.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Floyd tests positive for alcohol during his house arrest. I think that experiment is likely over before it had a chance to begin.

Oi. Poor bugger. Everything to lose, and he still does it. Alcoholism is a *****.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Meh... wasn't expecting much of anything from him anyway. Better he expose himself now than closer to the start of the season when it would be a larger distraction.

I hope the team cuts their losses and he truly gets the help he needs to straighten out his life from this additional wakeup call.

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
I wonder if they would consider going after Eric Decker if they plan on releasing Floyd.

Not sure its worth it for the Vikings or Decker to come here for the money it would take and not have a clear starting/high usage role.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Kind of a letdown that the Loons couldn't get a result against RSL last night. I didn't get to watch too much of the game, but that should have been an opportunity for a road point, or even 3.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
And so begins the Twins regression towards the last 4 years mean. They simply don't have the pitching to contend. If they don't trade for at least one respectable starter and two relievers (or bring Jay up as a reliever), they're done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad