OT: Non-Hockey Sports Thread XII - Heeeeeeressss JJ! (Percy Harvin Edition)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
And advanced stats say St.Brown is the best in the league.
Goff held back Kupp until Stafford set him free. Get St.Brown a better QB and look out!
Will be interesting to see what kind of Contracts Goff and Love will ask for after this season. Goff due cash of around $27 mill this year while Love is due like $14 mill. Lions drafted Hooker in round 3 last year and redshirted him due to his ACL tear. It's a massive pre-season for Hooker who should get the bulk of the snaps in their 3 pre-season games. Needs to show Detroit that if negotiations with Goff don't go well, that they have an option in house.
GB, will be pot committed to Love if he has a good year.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Thats fine if you disagree. I'll take the guy whos been doing in the league for years, been to 2 NFC championship games and a SB over a guy whos only done it 1 year.
One guy has been a weak link on two stacked teams making mistakes with games on the line.
I get he has more years, but to me they are unimpressive years. Goff is a poor man's Kirk Cousins. Can make all the throws like he can, but doesn't see the field near as well. Makes devastating mistakes under pressure.

Love in his good 2nd half was impressive. Yes, he needs to repeat it, but I don't think Goff is a high bar to pass up.

Last edited:

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Goff is a mediocre QB at best.

He has always been disastrous under pressure. He makes Cousins look like Mahomes under pressure.

Cherry picking 1 stat from a 6-8 game stretch outta 1 season from reddit to support your argument, At this point i really dont see the point in going back and forth with this.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Cherry picking 1 stat from a 6-8 game stretch outta 1 season from reddit to support your argument, At this point i really dont see the point in going back and forth with this.
That stat is why the Rams gave away so much to get rid of him. Add on his not great vision and it's why he's mediocre. It was no coincidence that when Stafford arrived in LA, that Kupp took off. I saw that coming a mile away.

Also, for what is worth, here's how CBS ranked the QBs in the division round. Love was 6th, Goff 7th.

Screenshot_20240325_125140_Chrome.jpg

What a QB does under pressure is generally where greatness gets defined.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I look at Goff like I used to look at Alex Smith. A decent starting QB who can manage a game and put up some decent numbers, but not the type of player who can carry his team through the playoffs on his own. Goff benefits from a strong roster and an aggressive coach.

Jordan Love had a great November and December and was impressive in beating the Cowboys. But I'll need to see him do that again over an entire season before I'm a believer (I said the same thing last year about Purdy and he has turned me into a believer).

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I look at Goff like I used to look at Alex Smith. A decent starting QB who can manage a game and put up some decent numbers, but not the type of player who can carry his team through the playoffs on his own. Goff benefits from a strong roster and an aggressive coach.

Jordan Love had a great November and December and was impressive in beating the Cowboys. But I'll need to see him do that again over an entire season before I'm a believer (I said the same thing last year about Purdy and he has turned me into a believer).
Goff, also because of his contract, he's played over his $26 mill contract, cash wise & $31 mill cap hit for the Lions the past 2 seasons. But, like Dak, if he gets paid more, needs to do more. Same with Love. Can both do that if they end up making $40 mill per on their next contract?

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
That's always been Goff's thing - he's an incredible QB when not under pressure. I remember the Rams just completely lit up the Vikings one year because we couldn't touch him, and I was shocked to see how good he was. It became quite clear after watching a team with a real defense, that that was his fatal flaw.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
That's always been Goff's thing - he's an incredible QB when not under pressure. I remember the Rams just completely lit up the Vikings one year because we couldn't touch him, and I was shocked to see how good he was. It became quite clear after watching a team with a real defense, that that was his fatal flaw.
It really has. That's why I'd want nothing to do with him. Hell, people always complain about Cousins performance under pressure, and he's WAY better than Goff under those scenarios. Goff is just a downright terrible QB under pressure.

By the Numbers
  • QBR drop from 66.8 to 24.7 for the average quarterback under pressure
  • Goff's QBR under pressure is 8.8, ranking 26th in the league
  • Goff's 68.5-point QBR difference with and without pressure is the largest for any quarterback
  • Goff has the second-worst completion percentage over expected (CPOE) under pressure

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Jordan Love had a great November and December and was impressive in beating the Cowboys.
Ive seen this thrown around and i know im not the only one but there really wasnt anything THAT impressive that Love did against the Cowboys. Most of his production that game i feel like came from a wide open Romeo Dobbs, he was making throws you or i could of made. There really wasnt that many small window throws/ throwing with anticipation from what i remember. Id have to go and look but i wouldnt be surprise if half if not more of Loves production that game from Dobbs who again was wide open on i think pretty much every throw. I dont wanna take away from a QB winning on the road in the playoffs because its something to be proud off but i think that game was more LaFleur and his playcalls and play designs than Love.

Last edited:

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
So i was curious and i started asking around and to my surprise its a split right down the middle at 50/50 for who would you rather have Kirk or Jared.

I just think Jared is pretty underrated id put him in the 10-13 range ahead of Kirk and Dak but all 3 of those guys belong in the same tier. Im also not trying to prop him up as some top 5 QB when hes not but just from the eye test id take Goff any day of the week and even more so in big games. Kirks better with dealing with pressure thats forsure but in terms of making throws and being able to deliever the ball in tight windows and touch id take Goff.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
That stat is why the Rams gave away so much to get rid of him. Add on his not great vision and it's why he's mediocre. It was no coincidence that when Stafford arrived in LA, that Kupp took off. I saw that coming a mile away.

Also, for what is worth, here's how CBS ranked the QBs in the division round. Love was 6th, Goff 7th.

View attachment 841309

What a QB does under pressure is generally where greatness gets defined.
I mean thats fine. These were our rankings. Just because CBS has him ranked higher isnt going to sway me away from Goff. Again give me the dude whos proven he can hang in the league and has done so for years over a guy whos done it a half a year, Mac Jones says hello. Now obviously theres more to that story with Mac with what the Pats and Bill did to him but hes another guy who did it for 1 year and has fallen from grace, now hes a backup. Now if Love can go out and prove he can do it again then yeah its a different story. But im making this ranking on what we know about the QBs not the projections.

And i guess i also wouldnt agree with the last thing you said either. Greatness is made in the playoffs and winning in the playoffs. Thats why Kirk gets memed on.

And na the reason why the Rams had to give up so much to get rid of Goff was because of his contract, Not because hes a poor QB under pressure.

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I mean thats fine. These were our rankings. Just because CBS has him ranked higher isnt going to sway me away from Goff. Again give me the dude whos proven he can hang in the league and has done so for years over a guy whos done it a half a year, Mac Jones says hello. Now obviously theres more to that story with Mac with what the Pats and Bill did to him but hes another guy who did it for 1 year and has fallen from grace, now hes a backup. Now if Love can go out and prove he can do it again then yeah its a different story. But im making this ranking on what we know about the QBs now the projections.

And i guess i also wouldnt agree with the last thing you said either. Greatness is made in the playoffs and winning in the playoffs. Thats why Kirk gets memed on.

And na the reason why the Rams had to give up so much to get rid of Goff was because of his contract, Not because hes a poor QB under pressure.
Because Stafford was and still is a far better QB.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Well yeah thats obvious.
The reason I take Love over Goff? Love is young and still improving and has shown potential to be far better than Goff has reached in his plateau as a NFL Qb.

Can Love sustain it? Yet to be determined, true enough, but I'd rather bet on a young up and comer than a proven mediocre QB.

When we first signed Kirk, I was in favor of it, as he was a clear upgrade over Keenum. That said, I thought he'd be a short term guy while we drafted someone else to groom for the spot. Then we never did... which was a terrible mistake.

If I was managing the Lions, Goff was an OK move to hold the place of starting QB while they work on getting a better long term solution. It's Hooker that guy?

BTW - not trying to change your personal rankings, just trying to show that it isn't a "lmao" situation here like it was initially reacted to someone ranking Love over Goff.

Last edited:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Ive seen this thrown around and i know im not the only one but there really wasnt anything THAT impressive that Love did against the Cowboys. Most of his production that game i feel like came from a wide open Romeo Dobbs, he was making throws you or i could of made. There really wasnt that many small window throws/ throwing with anticipation from what i remember. Id have to go and look but i wouldnt be surprise if half if not more of Loves production that game from Dobbs who again was wide open on i think pretty much every throw. I dont wanna take away from a QB winning on the road in the playoffs because its something to be proud off but i think that game was more LaFleur and his playcalls and play designs than Love.

Yes, there were plenty of schemed easy throws, but that's what you want from a good playcaller. This isn't the best angle for seeing tight window throws, but there were a few. It's really only a handful of dropbacks/passes a game that really separate QBs. Buying time, being patient, going though the progressions instead of checking down, throwing it away, forcing a bad pass, or running it are things that separate QBs. The rollout left pass was the most impressive to me. 2 of the TD passes (looking at other videos were tight window passes).

Don't get me wrong, Dallas' defense was a no-show for the game. The O-line, Jones rushing, and play calling by GB just completely outclassed whatever it was Dallas was doing; and that was a big help for Love (his numbers were rather pedestrian 16/21, 272, 3TD).

I think the Thanksgiving day game in DET was a better showcase of what Love can do.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Finding out that the bears have never had a 4,000 yard passer is truly something.

The Bears haven't had a lot of things when it comes to a QB.

No 4k yds passer (only 12 3k+ seasons), no 30 TD passer (only 4 25+ seasons), 67% completion is the single season high (100+attempts). Cousins (just time in MN) would hold pretty much every QB record in Bears history. Cutler is top on most of the career stats, but #2 in a lot of them is WWII era Sid Luckman.

The Bears had some great running backs (and middle linebackers) though.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

Talks a few trade scenarios by Graziano. Here are potential packages for #3-10:

#3 for #11+#23+2025 1st

#4 for #23+Justin Jefferson (my initial reaction to this is WTF)

#5: #11+#23, Minnesota could then trade #5+2025 1st for #3

#6: #11+#23, Minnesota could then trade #6+2025 1st for #3

#7: #11+#23 for #7+#106

#8: #11+#23 for #8+#79

#9: #11+#108+#129+2025 3rd for #9+#75

#10: #11+#129

Any of these trade scenarios seem intriguing to vikings fans?

I gotta admit, I came up with a dream scenario from a petty packer fan perspective. Imagine if McCarthy falls to #10, the vikings stand pat at #11, and the Jets draft him. That not only screws the vikings, but also a giant middle finger to Rodgers lmao.

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
Also as a sidebar i found this interesting.

I'm not sold that Darnold is a f***ing bust until he busts here in Minnesota with these weapons and a competent QB coach. I can't believe that people don't want to give him a chance.

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
Any of these trade scenarios seem intriguing to vikings fans?
Really only interested in Maye/McCarthy. Penix is the QB that I want the least, Williams will be off the board (thankfully) and Daniels isn't a guy I want either. Just have to wait for the draft to see where the chips fall. If we are stuck with Penix or Nix, I'd just as soon work with Darnold as the age isn't that different between them all. I'd rather use the draft capital to build the defense in that case, saying this as a guy that wants to sell the farm for a QBotF.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I'm not sold that Darnold is a f***ing bust until he busts here in Minnesota with these weapons and a competent QB coach. I can't believe that people don't want to give him a chance.
Justin Fields too!! :sarcasm:
Really only interested in Maye/McCarthy. Penix is the QB that I want the least, Williams will be off the board (thankfully) and Daniels isn't a guy I want either. Just have to wait for the draft to see where the chips fall. If we are stuck with Penix or Nix, I'd just as soon work with Darnold as the age isn't that different between them all. I'd rather use the draft capital to build the defense in that case, saying this as a guy that wants to sell the farm for a QBotF.
I’ve got:
Williams
Maye
McCarthy
Daniels
Penix Jr
Nix

I’d give Penix a legit shot. That dude was absolutely nasty at throwing the ball.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad