Non-draft pursuit of young defenseman

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
If Carolina were to draft Andrei Svechnikov, I'd do a deal around both Evgeny Svechnikov+Andreas Athanasiou for Jake Bean not sure if Carolina does it though.

Pretty sure they don't.

I'm thinking if the Wings want to deal assets for young dman, they will have a hard time finding what they want.

Teams don't trade away good young defense.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
If Carolina were to draft Andrei Svechnikov, I'd do a deal around both Evgeny Svechnikov+Andreas Athanasiou for Jake Bean not sure if Carolina does it though.

I like the concept of this; would be interested I know if Carolina values Bean or Fleury more. I would be willing to add a pick on top of this if it was the tipping point too, not the Vegas first, but a small add.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Regarding Carolina, you eliminated two of the defenders who you named, because of age. Also, we know that Carolina will likely add some offensive punch, almost free of charge, courtesy of the draft this summer.

I think they would be interested in augmenting their coming offense with a guy like Nyquist, maybe even at the draft. However, I think you have to package more than Nyquist+27 to get them to swap for a good, young defender.

As for Athanasiou, I imagine every team is at least a little skeptical of how he's handled the predicament surrounding his ice time. Maybe someone would want to try him out, but I don't think AA+27 gets it.

Svech+27 would be a lot more interesting if they plan on drafting his brother. Notwithstanding, Evgeny is still kinda unproven. I think you have to add to the package to make it happen.

Last edited:

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
So are we really under the impression that Carolina is going to want Evgeni just because they have his brother?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
So are we really under the impression that Carolina is going to want Evgeni just because they have his brother?

I think that the Sedin's retiring at the time that Andrei is about to be drafted created a dialogue that isn't backed up. If there are people who think they are going to go after him exclusively because they are related, it's misguided. But if Carolina honestly believes he could be a good player for them, I think they absolutely would be interested.

We just have no idea what the perception of Evgeny is around the league right now. I really only listed him because if he has value, it probably won't be realized in Detroit so it wouldn't hurt if we did him a favor and got something we needed out of it

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I would move AA or Svechnikov for Jake Bean

I wouldnt. Jake Bean is terrible in his own zone, Brendan Smith bad. He has no clue what to do in his own zone and turns the puck over constantly. While he is very good offensively this is not a guy Detroit needs. Hard pass.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
He was pretty close to making Calgary last year, I think he's with the big club next year. He's up there with Kylington for their best D prospect.

I always thought Kylington was overrated... how has he played this year?

I wouldnt. Jake Bean is terrible in his own zone, Brendan Smith bad. He has no clue what to do in his own zone and turns the puck over constantly. While he is very good offensively this is not a guy Detroit needs. Hard pass.

Mmmm So Bean is offense only??

masta8

Apr 26, 2018
I find it hilarious how everyone wants to deal AA for a young defenseman such as Bean who has yet to play a NHL game and has had his stats decreasing each year since his draft year.. I understand AA has value because his speed and skill, but I think not having to worry about a contract this summer with his arbitration rights and a full training camp will be good for him. I still think very highly of AA.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I find it hilarious how everyone wants to deal AA for a young defenseman such as Bean who has yet to play a NHL game and has had his stats decreasing each year since his draft year.. I understand AA has value because his speed and skill, but I think not having to worry about a contract this summer with his arbitration rights and a full training camp will be good for him. I still think very highly of AA.
I think the concern is that AA doesn't think very highly of the Wings.

Reactions: rhef3

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
Would it surprise anyone if AA left and signed with another team ? , and svech is still a project that we don't know if he will pan out, I don't see us giving up too much but at the same time just enough to land a project like jake bean. 19 year old defenseman with still plenty more time to develop for someone that could possibly walk and a forward prospect that might not make it in the nhl long term.

jake bean scouting report 2016

A shifty and intelligent defenceman who plays with panache and poise. An excellent skater who is a good puck-carrier up the ice. Makes very good decisions with and without the puck, and plays strong positionally. Works hard and doesn't give the opposition much to work with, but could stand to be a bit more assertive during high pressure situations. That being said, he is not a one dimentional player. He displays natural talent in the offensive end, but also plays a complete defensive game in his own end. He has a proactive stick and boxes the opposition out, limiting lanes. All-in-all, the type of all-around defenceman who you want to have on the ice as much as possible. (Curtis Joe, EP 2016)

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Would it surprise anyone if AA left and signed with another team ? , and svech is still a project that we don't know if he will pan out, I don't see us giving up too much but at the same time just enough to land a project like jake bean. 19 year old defenseman with still plenty more time to develop for someone that could possibly walk and a forward prospect that might not make it in the nhl long term.

jake bean scouting report 2016

A shifty and intelligent defenceman who plays with panache and poise. An excellent skater who is a good puck-carrier up the ice. Makes very good decisions with and without the puck, and plays strong positionally. Works hard and doesn't give the opposition much to work with, but could stand to be a bit more assertive during high pressure situations. That being said, he is not a one dimentional player. He displays natural talent in the offensive end, but also plays a complete defensive game in his own end. He has a proactive stick and boxes the opposition out, limiting lanes. All-in-all, the type of all-around defenceman who you want to have on the ice as much as possible. (Curtis Joe, EP 2016)

How is AA just going to leave and sign with another team when we have arbitration rights? Are you talking about signing in Europe or leaving three years from now? More importantly, what has Jake Bean done since getting drafted to convince you that he has considerable upside as an NHL prospect? I think a player of Bean's vintage is a good target, but I want absolutely nothing to do with him individually. He isn't overrated, he is just bad. I would prefer something around AA and Philippe Myers +/-.

Reactions: masta8

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
It doesn't have to be Jake bean, I just feel we should shift some of forward assets to acquire some defensive assets and not many decent prospects would be available for that price.

At just 19 it's way too early to say "bust" and with our high need for quality defenseman, I would be willing to take a chance.

I was unaware that we had AA for 3 more years but he probably is what it would cost to acquire him.

If you know of any high upside defensive prospects of beans pedigree I'm all ears.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
How is AA just going to leave and sign with another team when we have arbitration rights? Are you talking about signing in Europe or leaving three years from now? More importantly, what has Jake Bean done since getting drafted to convince you that he has considerable upside as an NHL prospect? I think a player of Bean's vintage is a good target, but I want absolutely nothing to do with him individually. He isn't overrated, he is just bad. I would prefer something around AA and Philippe Myers +/-.

Bad might be a stretch. He's a 19 year old defenseman still scoring at a point per game rate, or close enough.

masta8

Apr 26, 2018
It doesn't have to be Jake bean, I just feel we should shift some of forward assets to acquire some defensive assets and not many decent prospects would be available for that price.

At just 19 it's way too early to say "bust" and with our high need for quality defenseman, I would be willing to take a chance.

I was unaware that we had AA for 3 more years but he probably is what it would cost to acquire him.

If you know of any high upside defensive prospects of beans pedigree I'm all ears.
I just think it's more important to keep AA who has been in the NHL for 2 full seasons now and has had 18 and 16 goals with third line minutes per game then trade for an overrated defenseman. I would rather see what he will do in a third season with a full training camp and less distractions and likely take his game to another level.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I just think it's more important to keep AA who has been in the NHL for 2 full seasons now and has had 18 and 16 goals with third line minutes per game then trade for an overrated defenseman. I would rather see what he will do in a third season with a full training camp and less distractions and likely take his game to another level.

What indications do you have this step is coming? His ice time went up almost two minutes with no payoff last year. He doesn't work hard on a shift to shift basis and not only that he doesn't seem to get why things are happening or not happening for him when interviewed. He doesn't seem like a player approaching a corner or epiphany. I hope he does, AA has a lot of talent, but I am not sure it is ever going to sink in for him that he doesn't have enough to only get by on that and be a big time NHL player.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Blashill coming back is pretty much the death knell for AA's career here unfortunately

stuff like this is why it's a bad idea to keep such a blatantly incompetent coach around

I hope he doesn't ruin Mantha too I do think there's a chance of that,fortunately it looks like he probably isn't going to ruin Larkin at least

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Blashill coming back is pretty much the death knell for AA's career here unfortunately

stuff like this is why it's a bad idea to keep such a blatantly incompetent coach around

I hope he doesn't ruin Mantha too I do think there's a chance of that,fortunately it looks like he probably isn't going to ruin Larkin at least
That's part of why I'm willing to use AA as part of a trade. Regardless of what percentage of the blame you assign to him vs to Blashill, ultimately the two don't have an interaction that bodes well for AA taking the next step as a player.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit

It's up to the player to decide if he wants to put in the work to become more consistent and given more responsibilty.

Don't take that as me giving Blashill a pass, but the onus of wanting to become a better player and a "key piece" is on the athlete, not the coach.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Bad might be a stretch. He's a 19 year old defenseman still scoring at a point per game rate, or close enough.

Like I said earlier, I think he is the exact same immature player that he was on draft day with slightly better skating. In watching the Americans, I was blown away with how little he has actually developed. To each his own, but I am not very bullish on him as an NHLer. I think people are in love with the fact that he is a former first round pick. Philly also has a ton of defensemen and I personally think Myers projects much better.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Like I said earlier, I think he is the exact same immature player that he was on draft day with slightly better skating. In watching the Americans, I was blown away with how little he has actually developed. To each his own, but I am not very bullish on him as an NHLer. I think people are in love with the fact that he is a former first round pick. Philly also has a ton of defensemen and I personally think Myers projects much better.

Oh don't get me wrong, I don't think of Bean as being the end all be all defensive prospect. He still has time on his side, but he is trending towards boom or bust right now. Either he will acclimate well and be a good player, or he will flounder and fade out. I list a player like him not because he's my first choice, but that the teams seemingly could part with what the other team needs, and Bean would be the lowest caliber of player within the Hurricanes organization I would be interested in, if that makes sense. Like other people mentioned, the Flames have some nice D prospects with a need for forward help; that's a fit. I know Philly is deep on the back end, so it's a possibility, but I don't know how much they have been in the market for help at forward. If they are interested, then by all means let's start kicking some tires.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

At this point it sounds like Blashill is the furthest away from "ruining" Mantha than he has ever been. The benchings, the line demotions, the screaming and yelling to get a rise out of him did not work at all, and Mantha has sought out a more constructive relationship with Blashill. They have found common ground that they both believe has been working, they have had conversations about what works, what doesn't, where to go from here and how to accomplish it. If this situation works, it's possible that Blashill ends up being the reason we see Mantha unlock that potential we have been waiting for.

That relationship doesn't seem to exist with Athanasiou. Maybe it does out of the public eye and we just don't know, but it seems like there is a disconnect. It could be on AA to initiate that relationship, it could be Blashill needs to be more cognizant of how he handles individual players, it could be that AA truly doesn't think he needs more work, it could be that we have seen what he is going to be his entire career.

I don't think Blash is the greatest coach in the world, rather far from it, but I feel like he gets a horrible reputation for trying everything he can think of to get a bad team to win hockey games. This year will be a huge tell for me on what Blashill is and what my final opinion on him is. As it stands, this team will be in contention bottom 5, and we are likely to see the biggest infusion of youth that we have seen in a long long time. If Larkin can improve even more, if Mantha can take that step to being a more prolific goal scorer, if AA is around and become a more consistent and complete player, if Svech/Hronek/Rasmussen/Cholowski/whoever can step in and gain their footing with the Wings, then it becomes more apparent that he is a good coach and developing young players, even if the team is a bottom dweller. If they stay stagnant, well then it's an clean and easy break because his contract is up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad