Value of: Non-Covid Affected Canucks

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I'm sure everyone's aware of the news last week...I don't think we can hope to come back from this and still make the playoffs. Our manager and ownership are optimistic about the odds, but 3-4 weeks (including our scheduled week off) of atrophy mid-season will mess any team off.

There is a lot of reading, but I haven't seen anything stopping trades from teams that are shutdown due to Covid protocols, assuming the player(s) in question aren't affected (if I've missed something, a screen cap or link would be appreciated). We have 7 NHL level players left that haven't been place on the list, or weren't LTIR to begin with:

Pearson (IR, expected to have been playing shortly) - 3.75 M, UFA
Miller - 5.25 M until summer 2023
Boeser - 5.875 M until 2022
Schmidt 5.95 M until summer 2025
Benn - 2, UFA
Virtanen 2.55 M until summer 2022
Vesey - 900k, UFA (very recent waiver pick up, who would not be available for trade without other waiver claims being settled)

I think everyone but Vesey and Schmidt have been linked to being moved so far this season, or are Benn.

Most of our Taxi Squad players (Lind, DiPietro, Sautner, Juolevi, Rafferty and Graovac) are also not under quarantine, but are either prospects or roster filler. I'm also assuming LTIR guys, also not being under the quarantine (Beagle, Bailey, obviously Ferland) are not of interest, and Pettersson is off limits for anything close to a "fair" deal for the buyer.

I am not advocating a whole sale sell off of whatever we can get to dump these guys, but we should definitely, definitely be sellers regardless of Covid protocols wiped out the Canucks this season. Miller, Schmidt and Boeser would still need the cost for a top line winger or top pairing defender. Retention is available if we are getting what we need for the player(s) in question, and we can take reasonable cap dumps if needed.

Is there interest in the players listed? What could Vancouver get for any of their whopping 7 players who are healthy?

Last edited:

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
I believe that Vesey cannot be traded unless he is first offered to any team that put in a waiver claim prior to Vancouver getting him. He should be removed from the list.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I believe that Vesey cannot be traded unless he is first offered to any team that put in a waiver claim prior to Vancouver getting him. He should be removed from the list.

Fair enough. I wouldn't have expected any interest in him anyway, being that he is a recent waiver pick up. I'll add that he would need to clear waivers prior to any trade being approved.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Pearson and Jake are the two most likely to get traded from that list.
Jordie Benn is a pretty good defender also, so there is a chance there
I see no way Canucks trade Miller or Schmidt

Reactions: BCNate and Cogburn

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Pearson and Jake are the two most likely to get traded from that list.
Jordie Benn is a pretty good defender also, so there is a chance there
I see no way Canucks trade Miller or Schmidt

I'd be content to trade the first three, and while I wouldn't expect it, if it is full value for Miller, Boeser or Schmidt, I'd listen at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00