Nolan Patrick (part 2)

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Flyers' started by MiamiScreamingEagles, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Norm MacDonald

Norm MacDonald Registered User

So when does Patrick get sent back? He barely plays and looks out of place when he does.

hatcher likes this.
  2. Curufinwe

Curufinwe Registered User

I don't think anything will happen until after Christmas. At that point Hextall could loan him to Canada for the WJC.

3. MR28

MR28 9 17 32 14 55 4

Patrick looks like one of our best forwards when we give him 2nd line playing time. I really don't understand how it's gotten to the point where he can't buy minutes and Alt plays as much/more than Sanheim.

4. deadhead

deadhead Registered User

Because Patrick is lost right now, and I don't think it's about adjusting to NHL speed anymore.
    I just think he's like Giroux and Ghost last year, except he's 19 with zero NHL experience to compensate for the lose of burst and speed from his surgery.
    So Hakstol/Hextall are trying to balance getting him ice time with the harm it does to the team.

Just have to be patient until he gets stronger, hopefully by January or so he'll start regaining some burst in his skating and core strength to handle traffic.

5. FlyersMania2

FlyersMania2 Registered User

That's just it. There is ZERO reason this kid should look like he's digressing. He's an elite talent that needs to be cultivated appropriately. Playing him 6-8 minutes a game around guys who routinely have almost ZERO offense is not going to help his development and it just hurts us as an organization. What a joke.

6. flyersphan20

flyersphan20 Dilly Dilly

You see he has the hockey IQ, and has great vision, but he's not going to look fast out there until next year because of the abdominal surgery. We saw it with G and Ghost, he will get better

7. deadhead

deadhead Registered User

And he lacks strength, some of it is being young, but a lot is probably due to loss of core strength from the surgery, as any athlete will tell you, it begins with the core. And fighting along the boards is all legs and core.

Now if Patrick looks like this next year, we're f---!
    But I expect him to gradually improve like Ghost and Giroux did last year and finish strong.

8. flyersphan20

flyersphan20 Dilly Dilly

Yeah the strength will come when he has a full summer of training. He wasn't really able to do much until mid August IIRC this past year

Captain Dave Poulin likes this.
  9. DrinkFightFlyers

DrinkFightFlyers Provolone & The Neck Sponsor

Yeah that injury was such a bummer. Really seemed like he was on the verge of taking a big step. Given what is going on this season with the whole team, I am writing this season off for him. I don't expect him to turn it up unless the rest of the team does, and I don't see that happening. Next year is a big deal for him.

10. FLYguy3911

FLYguy3911 Registered User

He's a step behind the play physically right now. The pace looks to be overwhelming him a bit. He knows where to be on the ice and he knows where to go with the puck once he gets it but everything else is a bit slow. You can kind of see it on the PP. He'll make great passes with time and space but when he gets pressured things become more difficult for him. Offensively he can't get separation and create for himself which makes his shot pretty ineffective. The missed games certainly didn't help him and the minutes he is playing right now certainly don't help. It's incredibly hard to get into the flow of the game if you are sitting for 10 minutes at a time. I don't totally blame his minutes on Hakstol because it's hard to really bang the table for a guy who is sub-40% CF, but they need to help him out and Dale Weise isn't the help he needs. I actually think Read would help, but that ain't happening.

JojoTheWhale likes this.
  11. NYCFlyer

NYCFlyer Registered User

I have watched or been at every game and I can remember only 2 shifts that he looked like one of our best forwards. He looks tentative and slow. In hindsight I just don't think he is ready physically. Then he starts pressing makes mistakes and starts pressing harder. He was a superstar in junior and this is probably really really tough on him. He hasn't earned more minutes and I don't see any reason to give him more until he looks more physically ready.

12. Curufinwe

Try this pair together in a game, not just warm ups.

[​IMG]

Beef Invictus likes this.
  13. whitstifier

whitstifier Registered User

LW or keep him at C with Raffl and Voracek on his wings.

Igor likes this.
  14. MR28

MR28 9 17 32 14 55 4

If you can only remember two shifts where he looked like one of our best forwards then I have no idea what to tell you.

15. Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin Imaginary Cat

University lecturer
    He shouldn't have to "earn" more minutes this year - they should let him get out there and just play and work on things as we go along. This season doesn't mean anything, and we all know it. That doesn't mean we just throw in the towel, that would be stupid, but he's (arguably) our most important prospect, and definitely one of the top three - we should be designing our forward play around him in the sense that we are giving him every advantage to become comfortable and be himself. They haven't been doing that. The idea that a 19-year-old rookie often playing with scrubs has to "earn" more minutes is absurd. I understand the limitations of his injury and adjustments for that are something else.

16. FLYguy3911

FLYguy3911 Registered User

If you pair him with Voracek he's going to get other teams' top lines.

17. NYCFlyer

NYCFlyer Registered User

Figured as much

18. Curufinwe

Yes, I think Raffl-Patrick-Konecny is what they should start with.

Put Weal or even Weise at 2LW. Jake can carry him and Flip.

Lindberg likes this.
  19. BillDineen

BillDineen Registered User

Part of it is the surgery now, but he also needs to get stronger to play his game. You get signs that once he gets stronger he will be great in tight and along the boards. His vision is incredible.

20. NYCFlyer

NYCFlyer Registered User

We just disagree then. I think everyone needs to earn minutes all the time. Injury fill-ins, players coming off injuries, rookies ...everyone. There is no free lunch.

21. whitstifier

whitstifier Registered User

True...

22. Lindberg

Lindberg Bennyflyers16 get a life

Must be why Lehtera and Weise has seen plenty of power play time this year.

23. Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin Imaginary Cat

University lecturer
    This is the crux of the problem IMO - this characterizing it in terms of punishment and reward, because that is how I read College Dan's mindset. I just think that is way misguided and not very "modern" - I just don't think someone like NP needs that sort of treatment. Give him his minutes* and some linemates with some competence, communicate with him openly, and you will get results (i.e. development, discipline, etc.) from him.

* The exception being the limitations dictated by his recovery - the part of that which is effecting his TOI I can understand, although we don't know to what degree it is effecting things. We also don't have that many competent linemates to give him, admittedly, but he could have been spared some of this suffering, at least. What I am saying is that I understand all of these factors effecting his TOI, but I still think his usage could be a lot better. I think the coaches could be helping him more than they are.

Beef Invictus and Stizzle like this.
  24. Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus Kirby's Nightmareland

If one is lost, they won't become unlost by not playing and when they do play, playing like they're afraid of screwing up.

Stizzle and whitstifier like this.
  25. Curufinwe

Weise has 2:28 in PP time.

But I agree Lehtera's 20 minutes should have gone to Sanheim.

Beef Invictus likes this.