Noisy Brakes

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa
I drive a 2014 Nissan NV2500 HD. I had the brakes and rotors replaced last January (2017) at about 50,000 miles. In November I replaced the front brakes with GT carbon composite brakes (police car/heavy duty truck). They are fine. My problem is the back brakes. They squeal and sometime grind bad. It sounds like the subway train. It looks bad showing up to a customers house like that. In December I had Midas replace the back brakes and they reconditioned all 4 rotors. It did nothing. 2 days later people are asking if I need new brakes. I replaced the back brakes again but this time with GT carbon composite brakes about a month ago. It is still bad. I took off the tires and looked at the rotors with my dad and a guy he works with. My dad used to work on B-52s in the Air Force and he always does his brakes and such with the guy he works with. Everything is greased up and looks good. Rotors look smooth and no discoloration. When I first bought the van (it had 30 miles on it), the brakes were noisy. I took it back to the dealership at 5k and they said everything was fine. I just had noisy brakes (which I said I didn't spend $30k on a van with noisy brakes). Should I replace the rotors or could it be the calipers. I'm at the point of replacing everything but I don't want to spend the $ if I don't have to .

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Despite the fact I have a few thoughts, have you joined a Nissan forum? Id check there first, since the issue was prevalent from "new"

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
check your parking brake pads (guessing its in the back on this truck).

Those could be loose or out of place and making contact under the regular braking.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Sounds like your caliper is sticking on the rotor when you apply the brakes.

Does it grind every single time you apply the brakes or just sometimes?

Once you release the brake pedal. Does it still make a grinding noise as you accelerate for a few seconds?

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
It could be the calipers, but if it's been happening since it was brand new and many different mechanics say everything looks fine, I imagine that just has to be something about the van that is inherently noisy. I've never been a big fan of Nissan's build quality in general.

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa
It isn't all the time. Probably about 80-90%. Also only makes noise when I brake. When I checked the new brakes recently after about a month of use, I didn't see any clean spots or odd wear spots.

CRM 114

Mar 17, 2018
No joke, I had the same issue. Someone I know and respect a lot (my dad) told me to take the vehicle to a side road, push down on the brake pedal and then drive slowly for a quarter mile. Sure enough after I did that, all better.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Have you googled it? I did a quick look and I thought it looked like a problem hitting a lot of Nissan vehicles over the past four or five years.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
What did you google? I tried 2014 nissan nv2500 noisy brakes and didn't get much.

From what I remember, something like "nissan noisy brakes message board." I think it was the Altima that was mentioned quite a bit with one guy making multiple trips to the dealer.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Four first time ever if my forty five years of driving. I'll had brake (breakdown issues) problems. My pads and rotors were damaged I suspect from the sand/stone/gravel combo that they put on icy roads. Little salt is used now, but getting the stones between the pads and rotors might be the culprit.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Funny, I just dropped my Toyota Camry off for grinding back wheels and awaiting to see what it is. Could be frozen calipers, rusted rotars, brake drums, anything.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
My wifes Kia Sorento is doing this thing in the mornings (or after sitting all day ) where it will squeal until the first hard braking then it stops. Very weird.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Whats the cause?

I have many vehicles which squealed due to corrosion after sitting, but this is not that. Its much louder.

To me it feels lile there is a stuck caliper, which unsticks at the first hard pump of the brakes and immediatly stops.

It probably is a stuck or sticking caliper, but you never know. You might want to jack it up, do a little degreasing and cleaning and use some penetrating oil on the nuts and bolts all around the rotors and such and see if it stops.

Don't know much about Kia's and depending how old it is....not sure if you have drum brakes on the back like Toyotas do. If it hasn't been serviced in awhile, you might also want to see how the e-brake is holding up. Sometimes it gets stuck if you use it enough and it doesn't always give you a warning light.

If it's really that loud, I'd get it checked. Your wife should probably give it a hard brake in the meantime before she leaves the drive way.

Last edited:

Maritimehky

May 9, 2018
Are you driving on a lot of dirt/gravel? I do and every so often I have to take off all 4 wheels and tap on the backing plates and blow the brakes down with my conpressor. The noises it would make were crazy and I'd fill a quart container with sand, grit and small rocks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad