Confirmed with Link: Noel Giants new head coach

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Hope the Giants score 1 goal a game so he can say afterwards: "Do I like the one goal we get every game? NO"

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Good for Claude, happy for him, I will check out a few of his post game pressers on the Giants website from time to time

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I'm not really sold on him being a good development coach. He's more of a Don Cherry type of coach. I think he's behind on the modern game.

Maybe this will be good for his career.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Congrats to Noel. Hopefully there will now be joy in joyville.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
Wow, lozenge sales gonna spike in VanCity!! Invest in lozenge futures now, people!!!

Good for Claude. Seemed like a really good guy and was well thought of by people in hockey and the media alike. Glad to see him find work.

seasontixholder*

I would think this is it for him in the NHL. He was a subpar NHL coach. Maybe an assistant one day? But glad he's landed on his feet somewhere.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
You know it was just last week I was wondering "gee, I wonder whatever happened to Noel" and searched around, only to find he hadn't been hired by anyone.

He was always such an immensely likeable guy that I wish him all the best in the future. I heard the news on Edmonton's TSN Radio 1260, where they announced it as something like "and one of the good guys gets another chance" - they still make use of his "and I asked myself, self..." bit on a regular basis.

Little surprised he's going to junior hockey. I thought he was pretty much a career AHL coach (and a pretty darn good one at that).

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
I would think this is it for him in the NHL. He was a subpar NHL coach. Maybe an assistant one day? But glad he's landed on his feet somewhere.

Maurice seems to still be able to find work.

Claude Noel career NHL head coaching: 0.507
Paul Maurice career NHL head coaching: 0.505

seasontixholder*

Maurice seems to still be able to find work.

Claude Noel career NHL head coaching: 0.507
Paul Maurice career NHL head coaching: 0.505

I would agree with you but Maurice also went to the cup finals. Noel didn't even make the playoffs. Granted, it's on a wider margin. I still don't think Noel is an NHL caliber coach, plus he's getting on in age. Very few coaches at 59 will get another shot. Willie Desjardins (never head coached in the NHL) is 57 and is getting a shot but we'll see if he makes it. Mike Johnston (never head coached in the NHL, but has an extensive resume) is 57 as well but he has a Pitt team, no comparison. If Noel would get a shot it would make him the 3rd oldest coach in the league behind Boudreau and Hitchcock. Noel is no Boudreau or Hitchcock but he did relieve him of his duties in Columbus (a sign?). But good luck to him if he gets another shot but I do not see it.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
I think junior hockey suits his personality and skill set very nicely (and no that is not meant to be an insult).

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
As as was said on the radio I think Claude will entertain the junior kids. I think he'll be a great fit and am extremely happy for him and hope he turns that team around. Good luck Claude

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I'm not really sold on him being a good development coach. He's more of a Don Cherry type of coach. I think he's behind on the modern game.

Maybe this will be good for his career.

Hmmm thats funny I don't think he's a good coach either, but for very different reasons. Claude is a guy who likes to try new things like unique breakouts, weird special teams formations etc. It might have done him some good to be a little more "old school" seeing as thats what actually works. There is no more old school coach than Daryl Sutter or Ken Hitchcock perhaps while guys like Bylsma, Stevens have gone by the wayside.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Hmmm thats funny I don't think he's a good coach either, but for very different reasons. Claude is a guy who likes to try new things like unique breakouts, weird special teams formations etc. It might have done him some good to be a little more "old school" seeing as thats what actually works. There is no more old school coach than Daryl Sutter or Ken Hitchcock perhaps while guys like Bylsma, Stevens have gone by the wayside.

I thought he had a very unstructured system overall. Ran a divided power play which is bizarre. His breakouts consisted of "when we recover the puck, skate north as fast as you can". His in zone PK was a passive rotating diamond, hello 1990s. Hell it wasn't until year 3 that he introduced the concept of a forward covering a pinching defenceman. He always wanted the puck dumped no matter what, can't get any more old school than that.

He did run that odd "W" trap two years ago, Olli Jokinens line usually did it. That was interesting.

seasontixholder*

I understand Noel did well in the AHL but did he really work with the young guys in Winnipeg at the NHL level? He rode Kane, Scheifele, and Burmi. In fact he basically kicked Burmi out of town. Maybe it will be different when it's a young roster and no senior players to deal with. Like other posters, I was never a fan of him coaching but a great man in general. I do hope he excels but I still think his NHL head coaching career is a thing of the past.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Anyone know what kind of management dynamic the Giants run under?

How much say does the coach have on picks and players in Vancouver?

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
My favorite moment was after the 9-8 game against the Flyers. "Self, you're a sick man trying to make sense of this."

I never bought into the myth that he had 'trouble coaching young players'. The majority of his career is coaching younger players in developmental leagues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad