Nobodies in the Canada Cup 1987?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
Looking at Team Canada, I can tell you that I probably only had heard of 7 or 8 of those players at that time. The media coverage from the NHL 20 years ago was only a few scores in the newspaper, result and the goalscorers. It´s a different story today, to say the least.

Fuhr, Bourque, Coffey, Anderson, Messier, Lemieux, Gretzky and maybe Sutter. The others were unknown to me, then again I didn´t pay that much attention to the swedish league either...

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/e/teams/mens/worldcup/1987/can.html

The other teams can be found here:
http://www.hockeycanada.ca/e/teams/mens/worldcup/1987/index.html

Aug. 29, 1987
SWE 5 USSR 3 :banana: ;)

sbutler66

Feb 25, 2004
I think that just reflects the globalisation of the NHL these days as opposed to how the league used to be reported, guys like Goulet and Hawerchuk to name two guys were awesome players, and I thought they were pretty well known, I guess not...

But the size of players has changed for sure!

BAuldie

Apr 5, 2004
Nanaimo, B.C.
Kronblom said:
Looking at Team Canada, I can tell you that I probably only had heard of 7 or 8 of those players at that time. The media coverage from the NHL 20 years ago was only a few scores in the newspaper, result and the goalscorers. It´s a different story today, to say the least.

Fuhr, Bourque, Coffey, Anderson, Messier, Lemieux, Gretzky and maybe Sutter. The others were unknown to me, then again I didn´t pay that much attention to the swedish league either...

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/e/teams/mens/worldcup/1987/can.html

The other teams can be found here:
http://www.hockeycanada.ca/e/teams/mens/worldcup/1987/index.html

Aug. 29, 1987
SWE 5 USSR 3 :banana: ;)

Those weren't nobodies picked though.. look at their stats. They were all perrenial all-stars (especially up front). If you followed hockey back then you would've known about those guys. Some of them were nearing the end of their careers which didn't help but they certainly were not nobodies.

SChan*

I am from Sweden, but those are not nobodies! I reqognize 95% of Canada's 1987 team.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
SantaCruZer said:
I am from Sweden, but those are not nobodies! I reqognize 95% of Canada's 1987 team.

True, but had you heard about them at the time of the tournament (all of them, that is?)... which is Kronblom's point. I for one had not heard of all. The NHL-coverage in Sweden during the 80's was pretty much non-existent.

augz

May 8, 2004
I had no idea that Dougie was on the team! you learn something everyday

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
The only "nobody" to me is Normand Rochefort. Every other player I can immediately picture, and remember. But that's mostly because he played for Quebec, and we didn't see them very often.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
Forwards/Avants GP G A PTS
9 Glenn Anderson 10/2/1960 in Vancouver, BC 6' 1" 190 EDM (NHL) 80 35 38 73
10 Dale Hawerchuk 4/4/1963 in Toronto, ON 5' 11" 190 WIN (NHL) 80 47 53 100
11 Mark Messier 1/18/1961 in Edmonton, AB 6' 1" 205 EDM (NHL) 77 37 70 107
12 Mike Gartner 10/29/1959 in Ottawa, ON 6' 0" 187 WAS (NHL) 78 41 32 73
14 Kevin Dineen 10/28/1963 in Quebec City, QC 5' 11" 180 HAR (NHL) 78 40 39 79
16 Michel Goulet 4/21/1960 in Peribonka, QC 6' 1" 185 QUE (NHL) 75 49 47 96
21 Brent Sutter 6/10/1962 in Viking, AB 6' 0" 180 NYI (NHL) 69 27 36 63
22 Rick Tocchet 4/9/1964 in Scarborough, ON 6' 0" 205 PHI (NHL) 69 21 26 47
26 Brian Propp 2/15/1959 in Lanigan,Sask 5' 10" 190 PHI (NHL) 53 31 36 67
28 Doug Gilmour 6/25/1963 in Kingston, ON 5' 11" 165 STL (NHL) 80 42 63 105
32 Claude Lemieux 7/16/1965 in Buckingham, QC 6' 1" 206 MON (NHL) 76 27 26 53
66 Mario Lemieux 10/5/1965 in Montreal, QC 6' 4" 210 PIT (NHL) 63 54 53 107
99 Wayne Gretzky 1/26/1961 in Brantford, ON 6' 0" 170 EDM (NHL) 79 62 121 183

Staff/Personnel
Head Coach/Entraîneur-chef Mike Keenan PHI (NHL)
Assistant Coach/Entraîneur adjoint Jean Perron MON (NHL)
Assistant Coach/Entraîneur adjoint Tom Watt VAN (NHL)

what a forward line

where is jean perron now a days

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
augz said:
I had no idea that Dougie was on the team! you learn something everyday

douggy was mentored by bernie federko

and had a great yr in 86 and was outstanding in the playoffs.

thus the Canada Cup Nod

I saw these guys play at center 200 in Sydney Cape Breton in Exhibition play

al macinnis took a slap shot it was deflectedinto my seat

thank god i was gettign a hot dog at the time or i wouldnt be as paretty as I am today:)

Ironchef Chris Wok*

I recognized all the forwards, but had sometrouble with the D.

Who's Crossman and that Francophone guy?
And I didn't know Hartsburg was that good of a player in the NHL. I just know of him as a coach.

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
Ironchef Chris Wok said:

And I didn't know Hartsburg was that good of a player in the NHL. I just know of him as a coach.
Same for me on all fronts.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Ironchef Chris Wok said:

Hartsburg was a very good defenseman.

Crossman played for the Flyers at that time. He was the Flyers 2nd or 3rd best defenseman (Mark Howe clearly number 1, Brad McCrimmon & Crossman 2 & 3).

The Flyers had just lost to the Oilers in the 7th game of the Stanley Cup Finals. Keenan was the coach of the Flyers and Team Canada.

MacDaddy TLC*

Ironchef Chris Wok said:
and that Francophone guy?
I would guess you are talking about Normand Rochefort. He was a steady, but unspectacular d-man from Les Nordiques.

Hartsburg was another who was just a steady player who got the job done.

Another thing: Mario was the youngest on the team.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
MacDaddy Version 1.3 said:
Hartsburg was another who was just a steady player who got the job done.

Hartsburg was better thna just steady. His biggest problem was battling health problems, specifically his knees.

Hartsburg played for Canada in the

1978 WJC
1981 Canada Cup
1982 World Championships
1983 World Championships
1987 World Championships
1987 Canada Cup

Voted bast defenseman at the 1987 World Championship.

3 time NHL all-star.

413 points in 570 games as a defenseman.

http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=12872

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
teme said:
Something else that is really weird, Craig Hartsburg who turned 28 couple weeks after the tournament was the oldest player on team.
A weird thing that probably says something about how fertile that new Canadian generation was.

now two things from the previous (closed) thread.

Zine said:
..in relation to past Soviet teams, the '87 squad WAS a bunch of nobodies. Apart from the "Green Unit", they were not that overly talented. 2nd liners Bykov, Khomutov and Kamesnky were good but certainly not at the level of past 2nd liners (Maltsev, Yakushev, Balderis, Starshinov, Vikulov, Mayorov, etc.)
Nah, that second line was great!
It‘s surprising how much Bykov, Khomutov and Kamensky in his prime are underrated!
People don‘t realize that the first offensive line was better than the second one NOT by a wide margin, especially later on.
And moreover, as for talent alone the situation was even closer with Larionov being the less talented out of the six.
Also, the KLM benefited from regularly playing with Fetisov and Kasatonov behind..
Bykov, Khomutov and kamensky were big time talents and the first two were a deadly and amazing tandem.
Agree on those defenders and goaltending anyway.

Slick Nick said:
Canada took 4th in Nagano, sucked all tournament long in Salt Lake ( losing to the best team (Sweden), tieng the champions (Czechs), and not playing vs Russia (which should have being in the final)..
In SLC Canada sucked until the final where they finally delivered, before they had a disappointing tournament and were lucky to face Belarus instead of Sweden ( the team which showed the best things, ahead of Czech R.) in the semis.
That said, Russia should hadn‘t even been in the semis! They were outplayed in the quarterfinals against the Czech and were lucky to get through, than sucked for the first two periods against USA in the semis.
They underachieved like usual along these years.

SopelFan*

Ironchef Chris Wok said:

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Hyped

Feb 27, 2002
Tombstone
Visit site
That's a pretty stacked team if you ask me. I don't see any names that didn't deserve to be on the list. I still remember watching the big win too. A three-on-one at the end of the game and Gretzky has the puck. Now let's think about this for a minute. You know he's gonna pass, but who is it going to go to? Larry Murphy or Mario Lemieux? Tough call... :banghead:

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
Hyped said:
That's a pretty stacked team if you ask me. I don't see any names that didn't deserve to be on the list. I still remember watching the big win too. A three-on-one at the end of the game and Gretzky has the puck. Now let's think about this for a minute. You know he's gonna pass, but who is it going to go to? Larry Murphy or Mario Lemieux? Tough call... :banghead:

I remember Gretzky even brought that up in his autobiography...something like "I have nothing but respect for Larry Murphy, but even he knew there was no way he was getting that puck" :joker:

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
On that play, does anyone notice how the Soviet player, who would have been right on top of Mario, was hooked from behind?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad