Noah Welch

Status
Not open for further replies.

PensFan68

May 6, 2003
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Seeing the post on Whitney made me think of another one of the Pens top defensive prospects, Noah Welch. Can anyone who watches him (even if not regularly) offer some info on him? Being in Pittsburgh, I don't get all that much info on him. Every once in a while I'll come across an article about him, but I'd like to know what people feel who've seen him play.

I always thought he was a physical defensive d-man, but at the beginning of the year I read a couple articles on how he has the ability to chip in offensively. While he won't become an offensive d-man, it would sure be nice to have a physical defensive d-man with some offensive ability.

Is he as physical as he has been in the past? How good is he positionally? And finally, does he indeed provide any help on offense?

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
PensFan68 said:
Seeing the post on Whitney made me think of another one of the Pens top defensive prospects, Noah Welch. Can anyone who watches him (even if not regularly) offer some info on him? Being in Pittsburgh, I don't get all that much info on him. Every once in a while I'll come across an article about him, but I'd like to know what people feel who've seen him play.

I always thought he was a physical defensive d-man, but at the beginning of the year I read a couple articles on how he has the ability to chip in offensively. While he won't become an offensive d-man, it would sure be nice to have a physical defensive d-man with some offensive ability.

Is he as physical as he has been in the past? How good is he positionally? And finally, does he indeed provide any help on offense?

I'd say he does more than "chip in" offensivley. He is well rounded and is just as adept at one end as he is the other.
At any rate, my opinion is that he is far and away a better prospect than Whitney, and deserves the status of number 2 on our prospect list (which he IS) behind Fluery and in front of Whitney.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
stardog said:
I'd say he does more than "chip in" offensivley. He is well rounded and is just as adept at one end as he is the other.
At any rate, my opinion is that he is far and away a better prospect than Whitney, and deserves the status of number 2 on our prospect list (which he IS) behind Fluery and in front of Whitney.

I agree. IF Whitney can put his game together and become better defensively, he could be better than Welch and one of the best dmen in the league. He may have better upside, but Welch looks like more of a sure bet to become a top 2 dman, and is good in every aspect of the game with no glaring weaknesses.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
PensFan68 said:

First off, I've already posted stuff about Welch over on the Pens board, but I guess you missed it.

I really like Welch, however I'm not going to start making comparisons between him and Whitney as to whose better because I like them both for slightly different reasons.

Welch is a solid all-around defensive. To say that he just "chips" in offensively IMO vastly underestimates his offensive skills. He's a fabulous skater who excellent at the transition game. He can be a physical presence out there, but I wouldn't say that he's the "tough guy" type. The NHL player whose style Welch's closely resembles is that of Scott Niedermayer. If you're familiar with Niedermayer's style then you have a pretty good idea of how Noah Welch plays.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad